Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2002 4:17:12 AM EDT
So, how much is Clinton getting paid for pi$$ing on the United States of America?

Check this out:

[size=4]Clinton cliches turn to gold[/size=4]
By Vanda Carson  February 25, 2002

FORMER US president Bill Clinton earned more than [b]$700,000[/b] at the weekend – delivering a speech he had already repeated in the US, Britain and Israel.

On Saturday night, a handful of Perth's glitterati paid up to $6000 a ticket to sit on Mr Clinton's table and have their picture taken with our most high-profile American tourist.

While his star quality is undeniable, the speeches Mr Clinton delivers around the US and the world are strikingly similar – scattered with references to his pet topics of world poverty, global warning, AIDS and the Middle East.

Mr Clinton told his Perth audience to "spread the benefits and shrink the burdens" of underdeveloped and poor countries. It's a line he threatens to turn into cliche, having repeated it at least six times of late: on October 25 in Madrid, November 7 in Washington DC, November 19 at Harvard University, December 5 in his home town of Little Rock in Arkansas and December 13 at the London School of Economics.

Another line – "We have to build a world with more partners and fewer terrorists" – has appeared twice in Australia already, at the Perth speech and in Sydney on Saturday morning, as well as twice in speeches in London last December.

Guests might also have been charmed by Mr Clinton's personal anecdotes – although he has used the story before.

"Hillary gave me a little card when I ran for president in '92 and it's something I'd just keep reading every time I'd get discouraged. It said: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result," he said. Not that the 550 guests who packed Perth's Burswood Resort for Saturday's dinner seemed to mind.

They enjoyed Mr Clinton's speech so much they interrupted him several times with spontaneous ovations and rousing applause.

Doubtless the same will occur in Adelaide tonight, then at similar charity dinners in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney this week.

The Princess Margaret Hospital foundation, which hosted the dinner, would not disclose how much it paid Mr Clinton for his Perth appearance. But he reportedly commands a routine fee of $300,000 per speech.

And even this was eclipsed on Saturday morning when Mr Clinton earned [b]$680,000[/b] telling the World Peace Congress on China-Taiwan Reunification [u]that America's era of international pre-eminence would not last[/u].

See article at:[url]http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,3838263%255E2702,00.html[/url]

Gee, I hope he pasys US taxes on all that income, I'd hate to think he would be sheltering all that money in some 503(c) tax-exempt corporation. Like the Clinton Presidential Library, or something.

Eric The(Jealous?Hell,Yeah!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Why pay so much to see a two legged walking whooppee cushion?  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder how much of that money he will give to the third world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top