Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 5:19:59 PM EDT
The wife wants to replace the carpet in her so-called hobby room with laminate flooring. I know Pergo and Classen are two of the available brands. Does anyone have any recommendations as to brand or type? I told her that  you can get info on everything from guns to women's perfume on ar15.com. Help me out!

docmac86
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a pergo floor in the kitchen of my last house.  We used it because we wanted the look of hardwood but did not want to deal with the added thickness a "Real" wood floor would add.  The Pergo went on right above the old vinyl flooring.  We did the whole kitchen ( 23x14 in a day.  Make sure you rent the install clamp kit to make it a good job.

Cheers

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with Armstrong because it requires no gluing. I tested Pergo and Armstrong and they came out the same. My test included dropping hammers from shoulder level (small dent...less damage than real wood, but can't sand it over), submerging overnight in water (fit to a dry piece the next day, and locked in without any difference in thickness) and scratched with a sharp key (slight marring). They both look great, last forever, seem impervious to water, and are super easy to install. You do lose the ability to refinish it, but the stuff should last 20+ years. Just pick your favorite color and the best price and go for it. I think Pergo makes a glueless version now also...that is really the way to go. Mine has been in two years now...looks great, no problems (two kids, but NO pets either).

hope that helps,

roy d
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I also replaced all the carpet in my house with the laminate flooring. It does not dent or scratch easily. The oak hardwood in my dining room has a lot of dents from my kids but the laminate seems to be holding up fine (coming up on 3 years). I originally used the Pergo that I bought from Home Depot. I did one room with that and then I bought the Tundra laminate flooring from Ikea. The warranty was the same as pergo (15 years) but it was half the price.

It is extremely easy to install. You really should use the strap clamps if you want to do a good job.

Everyone who sees my floor loves it. Only downside is that it can not be refinished. You will need to replace it when it is worn out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top