Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 3:55:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for your loss,

Have you ever  considered using 2 big rubber coated J hooks(per bike) and screw them into the ceiling and hang them high?

Your lease may prevent it, but you can always fill in the holes.

I did that in the extra bedroom of a rent house once, and it worked well for me
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks bro. I'd be heartbroken if someone ripped off my stumpjumper. Hope you get 'em back.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Now, if I want new bikes, I'm gonna have to sell my P7 to afford them [:(!] [:(]
View Quote

I'd offer you a Diamondback if you were anywhere close to Denver......
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
How many units in your apartment?
Is it a walk-up (motel style) or with inside hallways?

If it has hallways, with the lights out, you just may be able to ge down on your hands and knees, an lay a flashlight on the carpet, and  shine it flat along the floor and see some wheel tracks.

Have you checked with the apartment manager?  Maybe someone, in a wheelchair perhaps, or delivering funriture, had a problem getting by and had the manager remove them.

Other than that, unless you have the walk-up style place, I would not be surprised if they were in someone's apartment right now, or in a storage area.  

You might want to spend the evening watching wherever people park.  They may be going out in a truck/van.

Or checking with neighbors to see if they saw anything.  

Oh, and who knew you'd be gone?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
my klein and my self hope you find them again.
I get paranoid riding my bike around town let alone locking it up.

you say they snipped through your cable lock?
it wasnt one of those huge kryptonite manufactured locks by chance was it?

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#9]
brouhaha:

Times are tough...folks have lost jobs...they get desparate and steal anything to hock in order to pay the bills.

Hope you learned a lesson and if you get new bikes put them inside your apt. Even if you have to stick 'em in the bath tub or behind the fridge.

If you continue living where you do, next time they'll break into your apt. and grab your guns.

Probably was some SOB in your complex.

Expect more of the same.

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So today, I leave Houston at about 11AM for a trip up to Dallas where I picked up an almost brand new P7PSP.  It's a happy day.  I got a new toy.
View Quote

What part of Houston are you in?

Where, in Dallas, did you get the P7? Was there a gun show this weekend???
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my Gary Fischer Mountain Bike stolen last October. It's a crappy feeing. Your insurance may cover it, though. My insurance covered half the cost of the bike ($200) and it wasn't even stolen on my property. You'll probably have to file a police report before you make an insurance claim.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm immediately south of The Woodlands...like maybe 1/2 mile.
View Quote

I am in the Dallas area. I go down to the Woodlands area all the time. Are there any shooting ranges nearby?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont care whose out of a job or how bad things are you do not touch someone else's things, I hate a thief, I have had things stolen
from me and its not a good feeling, it sucks that a person works hard for his things and then some scumbag takes them, im sorry Bro
I hope you get them back ........ Bluemax
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
WTT:  2 Gently Used Huffy Bikes--one Mountain and one Hybrid for HK PSP.  Will throw in Training Wheels if person drives PSP to Chicago for trade. [:D]

Lemme Guess--the ad you got the PSP from was the one for 2 PSP's.  I was hoping they wouldn't sell for a couple of months until I got enough cash for them.  

Sucks about the bikes--I've had cheap ones stolen in the past, and would hate to buy an expensive one around here.  Some piece of Shit came into a private parking lot (that is supposedly patroled by our "courtesy officers"), and took my Wife's Plastic Lug Nut Covers off of her Windstar.

Hope you find the guy that did it.

Stupid Question--were the bikes "legally" parked outside your apartment?  I had some vacuum cleaner parts in a small storage closet (outside my assigned locker), and the janitors threw them away.  Is it possible the management removed them?
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#17]
When I lived in an apartment, I always made room for my bikes inside. At one point I had over $4000 dollars in bikes and there was no way I was going to leave them outside.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I lived in an apartment, I always made room for my bikes inside. At one point I had over $4000 dollars in bikes and there was no way I was going to leave them outside.
View Quote

Thats alot for a bike, you could get a motorcycle fot that much money.  Or a good downpayment for a house.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#19]
It was 3 bikes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Apartment life sucks.  I moved out of Houston a cupel of months ago.  I dont miss it at all.
I live in the contry now and love it. We never lock the door, i leav the key in my car and my dog takes care of everything else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry to hear that brouhaha.  I would move. That's easy for me to say, but I did move out of a smaller city than Houston to a rural area 22yrs ago.
I have the same deal as Falcon2.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm so sad! I know how you are feeling, like you have been violated, a real $hitty feeling. I will be willing to bet that the mother f'ckers were watching your place for awhile, just probably waiting for an oppurtunity. It doesn't matter what type of neighborhood you live in, all theives are oppurtunists, you just can't let up your guard, otherwise bam! You just can't too careful anywhere in a city. All those theive are a piece of scum. When I leave my house, I try to leave an impression that someone is home, i.e. I leave lights on, and the radio/TV blaring.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#26]
i too live in houston, its most likly those gangsters.   anyway, if you want some information about gangs go to www.gangguy.com  thats a good site. it wont get your bikes back, but it is great useful knowledge
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am looking into buying a safe...possibly the one that DPMS has out.  I want one that is easily moved, and that one breaks down into smaller pieces.
View Quote

Do I understand that you've got no safe?  If you have a bunch of guns and no safe, please get one, and get one soon!  Everyone should have at least that level of protection for their guns.

I'd hate to hear that you've been robbed and had guns stolen.  Bikes are bad enough, but imagine what the low-life scumbags who steal things could or would do with your guns.  I'd hate to have that on my conscience.

Sorry about the bikes, consider a Kryptonite lock next time-

[url]http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/templateform@public?tn=home_home[/url]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]
That really sucks. I keep my 3 bikes inside my apartment whenever they aren't being ridden. Infact, our lease contract specifically forbids storing bikes outside the aprtments. The manager mentinoned this to me, and he also said that when they made everyone move the bikes inside, all thefts and other crimes went way down. Not that there's much crime here anyways.

I also try to keep the bikes that I ride to class or around town ugly enough that nobody would want to steal them. I lock them up with a standard cable, and haven't had one stolen yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top