Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2002 4:30:53 PM EDT
Okay..I know this is a stupid question.  However, my dog rolled in something dead...I mean very dead...stink is not the word.

why do they do this?

medcop
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#1]
medcop,
dogs will roll in dead animals, dead fish and feces of another animal species.

Dogs do this to cover their scent.

As an example, I guess a deer must think here comes a walking dead thing that also rolled in some shit and that's alright - just so long as I don't get that dog scent !!

Anyway that's why dogs will roll in just about anything that will cover their scent.

[:D]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Dogs will roll to get rid of the human smells, ( Scent ), so they can hunt .
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!  I can always get an answer here on AR15.com.

Thanks again!
medcop
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dogs will roll to get rid of the human smells, ( Scent ), so they can hunt .
View Quote

so no dog before domestication, and no wild canid now, rolls to remove his own scents?  just our domesticated versions?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Of the three things dogs do in life, the smell must be an aphrodisiac to some other dog...
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
"As a dog returns to his vomit, so also does a fool return to his foolishness". Proverbs

Some things a dog does are really profound!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Well my dog has never rolled in feces that I am aware of, but he does like to roll in dead birds/worms/etc.

I had thought it might be because he wants to appear tough to other dogs.  "Don't mess with me, I kill things."  But what others said makes sense too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The same reason that they lick their own balls, because they can.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The only dog that I've ever had that rolled in poop or dead things was my French bull dog...go figure.

Paul
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#11]
My terrier will catch yellowjackets and spit them out, then very very carefully roll over them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

...Dogs do this to cover their scent.

As an example, I guess a deer must think here comes a walking dead thing that also rolled in some shit and that's alright - just so long as I don't get that dog scent !!

Anyway that's why dogs will roll in just about anything that will cover their scent.

View Quote

I don't care if it DOES work, next deer season I'm NOT going to try this.  That long drive home with the heater on would do me in.

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Axel, now that is something I have never heard of.  Does your dog ever get stung by the yellowjacket?

PS: One of my dogs er...my wife's dog (little American Eskimo rolls in dead things, the other dog my Brindle Boxer doesn't need to.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#14]
dogs are domesticated wild things not too far from wolfs ect.  when they(carnivares)kill they allways go for the guts and bowwels first as the taste is much better there.    i know this a bad annlogy but if you like chicken,or beef liver w/onions then there is a special taste there that nothing on earth can match,  well dogs have at a conservetive average about 10,000 times the smell and taste of humans.  and that visaruck or gut taste smell is like cat nip to them..they just can't get enough of it it's like larry flint eye candy to a con......   hope that spelling guy or girl ain't around!      my neighbor told me this just as they were hauling his ass away!..........
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Dogs: if they can't eat it or fuck it then they piss on it!
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Rolling in dead stuff is easy to understand, as 5subslr5 and BallisticTip explained... what I want to know is why some dogs eat their own shite!  WTF darwinian process does poop-jerky serve?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rolling in dead stuff is easy to understand, as 5subslr5 and BallisticTip explained... what I want to know is why some dogs eat their own shite!  WTF darwinian process does poop-jerky serve?
View Quote

Gunbert,
You got me on this one ?
I've never had a dog that ate his/her shit !

(Dogs do have a short, simple digestive system so I guess it's possible that nutrients remain in the excrement - but this is just a wild-ass guess.  Also possible these dogs are missing some vitamins - actually more likely minerals - in their diet.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Dogs do this to cover their scent.

View Quote

I don't care if it DOES work, next deer season I'm NOT going to try this.  That long drive home with the heater on would do me in.

View Quote

prk,
For 14.5 good years I had a Chow named Leroy.  Now Leroy went through a phase when he was about two-three years old when he was definitely a shit rolller !!  In fact, other than clean water he would roll in just about anything.

He and I made a couple of trips home with temp about 20 degrees outside with the heater off and all windows rolled down !!

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Cat poop is soooooo tasty, just ask my 2 dogs!
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Our minpin is terrible for finding something to roll in. She will find bird droppings on the sidewalk under a big tree in our yard and roll in the little splatter.

Q. Why does a coyote lick his ass?

A. To get the taste of mutton out of his mouth.

Two Pollocks walking down the street and see a dog licking his gonads.

1st Pollock-Wish I could do that!
2nd Pollock-You probably can but I think I would pet him first.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I think they do it just because they know it pisses us off.

I have kept my dog from getting into that sort of nasty habit partly by keeping her occupied instead of bored, which is where many undesirable behaviors get their start, and partly by instituting a zero tolerance policy. If she comes in stinking, she gets a very serious bath and full body shampoo IMMEDIATELY, no matter what the weather is like. (I'm in Florida, so it's never too cold, though.)  She really doesn't like to get a bath and has apparently made the connection:  Roll in stinky things, and that crazy human will give me a bath and I'll end up smelling like flowers...yuck!

She's a smart dog.   But then, she's an Aussie, and they're always smart.

CJ

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
seriously, its cover sent. it goes all the way back to the first dogs (wernt like dogs too much, more like a ferret/dog or sometihng) they rolled in shit and other smelly stuff to mask themselves for hunting. other completely wild animals do this too, so its not a domestication thing. icant think of any examples right now though. for our pets, its teh same as walking in a small circle before they sit, ( as if patting down some grass) its just instinct hardwired into thier brain. idont think our dogs think  " i gatta cover my sent" more like "oh boy, smelly shit!"

on a similar note, doyou guys know why dogs lick our face? its similar to the shit rolling thing in that its a deep hardwired instinct, but the reason is just Fing nasty. if no body pipes up i will post it in a while, im curious to see who watches as much discovery channel as me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Gunbert,
You got me on this one ?
I've never had a dog that ate his/her shit !

(Dogs do have a short, simple digestive system so I guess it's possible that nutrients remain in the excrement - but this is just a wild-ass guess.  Also possible these dogs are missing some vitamins - actually more likely minerals - in their diet.)
View Quote

You'd have to ask Divine in John Waters' movie Pink Flamingos.  But what?...that question will have to wait.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
seriously, its cover sent. it goes all the way back to the first dogs (wernt like dogs too much, more like a ferret/dog or sometihng) they rolled in shit and other smelly stuff to mask themselves for hunting. other completely wild animals do this too, so its not a domestication thing. icant think of any examples right now though. for our pets, its teh same as walking in a small circle before they sit, ( as if patting down some grass) its just instinct hardwired into thier brain. idont think our dogs think  " i gatta cover my sent" more like "oh boy, smelly shit!"

on a similar note, doyou guys know why dogs lick our face? its similar to the shit rolling thing in that its a deep hardwired instinct, but the reason is just Fing nasty. if no body pipes up i will post it in a while, im curious to see who watches as much discovery channel as me.
View Quote

Matt,
you're gonna tell us - later - about dogs not wolves ??
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I'll bet it is to see what kind of animal you ripped the guts out of the last time you ate.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
doyou guys know why dogs lick our face?
View Quote

My guess is that they are actually demonstrating submissivness or acknowledging the person being licked as being dominant.

View Quote

That's the way I believe wolf packs work - the licking of the dominant male first thing in the morning is necesary for good order within the pack.
I'm not sure about dogs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Do you guys know why dogs lick our face?
View Quote

Wolf pups coyote pups etc. lick the face of their mothers and other pack members because they are hungry.  The adults feed and carry back food for the pups in their stomachs.  The food is regurgitated [puke] and eaten by the pups.

Your Welcome! [}:D]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Two Pollocks walking down the street and see a dog licking his gonads.

1st Pollock-Wish I could do that!
2nd Pollock-You probably can but I think I would pet him first.
View Quote

Silly, everyone knows fish can't walk!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Do you guys know why dogs lick our face?
View Quote

Wolf pups coyote pups etc. lick the face of their mothers and other pack members because they are hungry.  The adults feed and carry back food for the pups in their stomachs.  The food is regurgitated [puke] and eaten by the pups.

Your Welcome! [}:D]
View Quote

No,No,No, see, [b]The dog knows he licked his ass 10 minutes ago. You don't![/b] It's his way of getting back at you!
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#33]
It's puppy perfume.

They enjoy sniffing butts, remember?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top