Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2002 12:17:19 PM EDT
[URL]http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=618330[/URL] Newspapers Urged to End Classified Gun Ads February 21, 2002 01:53 PM ET By Sue Pleming WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A coalition of gun control groups urged U.S. newspapers on Thursday to stop publishing classified ads for guns, saying they were a potential source of weapons for terrorists. The National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Classified Gun Ad Loophole, supported by 24 gun control groups from Texas to New Hampshire, said a survey of 282 newspapers in 16 states found that 77 percent of them ran classified ads for guns. "Sales of guns through newspaper classifieds offer the anonymity and ability to avoid law enforcement checks, which make them a potential source of guns for terrorists," said John Johnson, head of the gun control group Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence, who organized the campaign. The campaign said newspapers could help fight the war against terrorism by pulling all classified ads for guns. "This is a patriotic contribution that newspapers can make to the war on terrorism," said the coalition in a statement, referring to the U.S. government's fight to stamp out terrorism following the Sept. 11 attacks. The group, which does not oppose ads by registered gun dealers in newspapers, also sent a letter to Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge and Attorney General John Ashcroft urging them to play a role in stopping classified gun ads. The powerful National Rifle Association, which lobbies for gun owners' rights in America, said it had no immediate comment on the call for a ban on classified ads for guns. The Newspaper Association of America, which represents about 2,000 U.S. papers, declined to comment on the issue and said individual papers set their own policies on such matters. (cont.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:22:16 PM EDT
(cont.) LOOPHOLE 'AS BIG AS TEXAS' Under U.S. law, licensed gun dealers must do background checks on buyers before selling them guns, but people who make "occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby" are not required to make such checks. "There is a hole in the law as big as Texas, and terrorists and criminals can walk right through it to buy their guns (via newspaper ads)," said Jennifer Beazley, executive director of the group Texans for Gun Safety. The campaign cited the example of a white supremacist named Ben Smith from Peoria, Illinois, who bought two handguns via a classified ad in a local newspaper after a licensed dealer refused to sell him a gun. Smith used those guns on a shooting spree on July 4, 1999, killing two and wounding nine before committing suicide. "Ben Smith is a chilling example of how easy it is to obtain a gun simply by taking advantage of the newspaper classified gun ad loophole and reigning terror on a community," said Thom Mannard, executive director of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. Another loophole gun control advocates are fighting enables unlicensed people to sell firearms at gun shows without doing criminal background checks. In its study, the campaign found all of the papers surveyed in Texas, Michigan, Virginia and Delaware accepted classified ads for guns. Maryland and New York papers had the most restrictive policies toward gun ads. Major urban papers such as The New York Times, The Miami Herald and the Chicago Tribune had a policy not to accept gun ads, and the study found nearly half of all the papers surveyed did not accept classified ads specifically for handguns.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:31:10 PM EDT
I would urge newspapers to stop running classified ads for automobiles. It is my opinion that terrorists are using cars to conduct their terrorist activities.... for example, transporting themselves to the airport. It is my opinion that they would have been more inconvienced if they had to walk, hitch a ride, or take a cab to the airport. What a bunch of "feel good" crap this article is!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:34:21 PM EDT
You gotta love the objectivity - For the antigunners, they quote - 1. National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Classified Gun Ad Loophole 2. Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence 3. Texans for Gun Safety For the gun rights folks they quit trying to report the other side of the issue after the NRA tells them they have no immediate comment. Gee, is there NO OTHER Constitutional rights group they could have called???? And its the "powerful" NRA, who "lobbies..." Then they cite a single example of a gun bought thru classified ads that was used illegally. Do they even try to cite an example of where a gun bought thru a classified ad was used to prevent a crime?? Nope. Nada. Its shameful.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 1:20:51 PM EDT
HEEEEEEEEEEEEY.....!!!!! don't laff guys.., in Tucson Az. there are two news papers, one is liberal (they claim to be the conservative voice, yet they endorsed Algor) the other is ultra liberal, the UL papers editor decided to stop gun adds from private citizens, the other followed, because, "...the classified adds were run on the same presses & it would be too difficult & costly to keep the gun adds in only the one NP...", they only accept adds from FFL holders, so a private citizen opened a gun buy/sell site on the i.net, where private citizens can make contact wyth buyer/seller in order for "... people who make "occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby are not required to make such checks." to continue our hobby of gun collecting, soooooo, that is how we private citizens hold on to our GOD given right to continue our hobby....., in fact i am going to meet a fellow this weekend to see his NIB AR15........
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 2:50:31 PM EDT
Why are my constitutional rights always called a loophole, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bluemax
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 3:05:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bluemax: Why are my constitutional rights always called a loophole, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bluemax
View Quote
Amen to that!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 4:04:28 PM EDT
Obviously the 1st Amendment rights of gun owners do not exist. When there is no 2nd Amendment there will be also be no 1st Amendment. Course these shitheads haven't thought that far. [X]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 5:07:34 PM EDT
Oh Yeah, let's cut off terorists' access to newspaper ads where they can buy overpriced bolt-actions and double shotguns. OOoooooh. Geez. In South Florida none of the papers run Gun Ads of any kind. In Pensacola, there is a gun ad in the paper most of the time. But, they are usually for perazzis and other crap that no real gun owner would want. I bet if you looked at gun ads in newspapers, 99% of them are for double shotguns and bolt-guns. Nobody in their right mind sells an AR-15 or AK-47 in the newspaper. They would be severely limiting their market and almost nobody actually looks at the Sporting Goods section of the Classifieds since most of the stuff is priced higher than what you can get it for in a store. BTW, this just shows the loophole crap isn't true. They claimed Gun Shows was a loophole. They claimed the internet was a loophole. They now claime newspapers are a loophole. There is no loophole despite the crap spewed in South Florida in 1998 about closing the Gun Show Loophole which, BTW succeded in Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach. Yet, these are the most violent counties in the state compared to Escambia where I can sell guns at a Garage Sale in my front yard. Yet, Escambia has a much lower crime rate compared to Miami-Dade which has the most restrictions. I wouldn't walk the streets of Dade at night or some parts any time of day w/o armored vehicles, air support, and cover fire. BTW, if BSO had done their damned job, the twin towers might still be standing. Muhammed Atta had a warrant for his arrest long before 9-11. Yet, BSO never picked him up which wouldn't have been hard as he wasn't hiding. Instead, they ignored it since they were too busy harrasing motorists.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 5:35:56 PM EDT
I'm getting real damn tired of these groups riding "terrorism" as a scare tactic. The gun lobby has done what any group would do when they are correct (see, we tried to tell ya, guns aren't the problem!), and has acted nobly, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:02:53 PM EDT
When was the last time a "terrorist" used a gun in this country; and or bought it out of the newspaper?
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:26:21 PM EDT
During and after the whining of the "Gunshow Loophole" (which was passed here in CO, now we're safe, no more crime) I was saying the next thing would be closing the newspaper ad loophole. There is just no difference between the two and it has absolutly[b] NOTHING [/b]to due with terrorism.[:(!] But then we knew that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:33:01 PM EDT
Depends on what your defintion of "terrorist" is. I saw an article a while back that bitched about terrorists using Gun Shows. Guess who their terrorists were: The Branch Dividians, Randy Weaver, et al. They seriously listed these people as terrorists. Last time I checked, the ATF attacked the Waco compund without any provocation. The Dividians never commited any acts of terrorism. The ATF's actions constitute terrorism. And, since when has your wife and child being shot by a trigger happy sniper make you a terrorist ? Basically, they were calling all pro-gun conservatives, terrorists. At least they did mention that McVeigh had a handgun. Then again, he never used it and would be home free if he hadn't been carrying as he didn't have an OK CCW when he was stopped. Basically, they consider us terorists. So, therefore they are correct when they say Gun Shows are full of terrorists trading guns, becuase by their defintion every gun owner is a terrorist.
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER: When was the last time a "terrorist" used a gun in this country; and or bought it out of the newspaper?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:49:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman: You gotta love the objectivity - For the antigunners, they quote - 1. National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Classified Gun Ad Loophole 2. Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence 3. Texans for Gun Safety For the gun rights folks they quit trying to report the other side of the issue after the NRA tells them they have no immediate comment. Gee, is there NO OTHER Constitutional rights group they could have called???? And its the "powerful" NRA, who "lobbies..." Then they cite a single example of a gun bought thru classified ads that was used illegally. Do they even try to cite an example of where a gun bought thru a classified ad was used to prevent a crime?? Nope. Nada. Its shameful.
View Quote
That's the truth! You beat me to it (again) G-man! Reuters won't call the WTC bombers "terrorists" because that would be too judgemental but it will call legitimate private gun-buyers in this country "potential... terrorists." "WE" - as in [u]ALL[/u] of us private gun-owners are the terrorists they're referring to. They're not even hiding this anymore. [b]By ANY means necessary... your guns [u]WILL[/u] be banned. That's a guarantee written in stone. "[red]Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal[/red]." - Janet Reno[/b]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 9:29:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:22:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Goad: "Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." - Janet Reno Exactly. If the totalitarians only wanted to ban gun show private sales and newspaper private sales I would care, but not enough to post here. The totalitarians work to ban private ownership of firearms. Hopeless and helpless is the way they want the USA unwashed masses. The totalitarians are willing to accept any concession we Americans will make toward total loss of our rights. I say if there are any gun law changes, there must be fewer gun laws! No more concessions of our rights to the criminal-Democrats/would-be slavers!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:44:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
Originally Posted By garandman: You gotta love the objectivity - For the antigunners, they quote - 1. National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Classified Gun Ad Loophole 2. Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence 3. Texans for Gun Safety For the gun rights folks they quit trying to report the other side of the issue after the NRA tells them they have no immediate comment. Gee, is there NO OTHER Constitutional rights group they could have called???? And its the "powerful" NRA, who "lobbies..." Then they cite a single example of a gun bought thru classified ads that was used illegally. Do they even try to cite an example of where a gun bought thru a classified ad was used to prevent a crime?? Nope. Nada. Its shameful.
View Quote
That's the truth! You beat me to it (again) G-man! Reuters won't call the WTC bombers "terrorists" because that would be too judgemental but it will call legitimate private gun-buyers in this country "potential... terrorists." "WE" - as in [u]ALL[/u] of us private gun-owners are the terrorists they're referring to. They're not even hiding this anymore. [b]By ANY means necessary... your guns [u]WILL[/u] be banned. That's a guarantee written in stone. "[red]Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal[/red]." - Janet Reno[/b]
View Quote
Guys, while I agree with EVERYTHING you are saying here (which is why I posted the article to begin with), but I'd sure like to know whether Reno ever actually said that quote. Do you have any cites or sources for that quote? IMO it's too obvious, too pat. She would never actually come out (excuse the pun) and say that so openly. Somehow the quote reads like the specious one from Adolf Hitler from 1935 about Germany's streets being safer because gun control is now the law of the land. Great quote, but he never actually said it. (He didn't need to- the Nazi party's guns did all the talking for him.) It is important to be truthful ALL THE TIME about guns to ourselves and to the unaware public. If they begin to suspect that the grabbers are lying (and that covers a multitude of sins) and that we are telling the truth, then maybe some more hearts and minds will be won for our side. ........................ "If you live in a country where you're never required to take responsibility for yourself, where you never even have to ask whether there's something you should be doing to solve your own problems, then people are kept in kind of a permanent state of collective immaturity and it becomes quite easy for them to believe that someone else's success is the cause of their distress. " - --William Jefferson Clinton(!), believe it or not.... [url]http://www.washtimes.com/national/20011108-470100.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:10:01 AM EDT
Seems to me if these gun control bozos truly wanted to show their patriotism they would take their cause to the "Axis of Evil", and urge Saddam et al to ban guns in Iraq, and appeal to all terrorists to put down their guns. What the hell classified advertising in American newspapers has to do with terrorism is beyond me. We can only hope medical science can develop a cure for these poor, demented souls. A lobotomy comes to mind.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:24:01 AM EDT
It seems like the good guys are losing on every side lately. The gun control crowd successfully transfers the so-called terrorism threat into gun rights restriction. The campaign to restrict freedom of speech (a.k.a. "campaign finance reform") successfully transfers the Enron debacle into a more political expression restrictions. And the Republicans and NRA seem powerless to stop it. What happened to the conservative resurgence following 9-11-01? [pissed]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:02:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 95thFoot: Guys, while I agree with EVERYTHING you are saying here (which is why I posted the article to begin with), but I'd sure like to know whether Reno ever actually said that quote. Do you have any cites or sources for that quote?
View Quote
http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/agencies.htm http://www.sierratimes.com/archive/dan/eddd051900.htm http://www.whattheheck.com/forum/gunmessages/893.html http://www.conservativeforum.org/authquot.asp?ID=1415 http://www.mv.com/ipusers/barbarian/quotes/evilquotes.htm AP wire service and Good Morning America are the likely sources of origin. As far as the enemy disclosing their objectives, you must have missed the Clinton Era. For one thing the Clinton gang did not believe they would ever lose control of Washington. Ever. By the way, practically nobody actually reads this AR15.com stuff! A hint: the words actually read is an inverse function of the length of the post.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:14:01 AM EDT
Marvl, I am a scientist, and I learned the cure for legitimately stupid individuals a long time before I went to college. My solution is the same as what every one on this board thinks. The only way to get through the thick, sloped heads of liberals is on the tip of either a knuckle or a boot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 1:34:41 PM EDT
not a problem for me, they dropped the ads, i dropped my subscription. all they were good for was classifieds and sales anyway, everything else was day-old news.
Top Top