Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/21/2002 5:24:39 AM EDT
Man, those laws are really working. I feel safer already. Funny thing about this, if someone had a pistol, and shot back, they be going to jail! We do like to pistol whip in these parts, heck, I just picked up a Model 36, and it was made to whip someone! [;)] c-rock Chicago police today were looking for three men who terrorized 11 people during a home invasion on the Northwest Side, WGN-Ch. 9 reported. The suspects broke into two apartments in the 3300 block of North Kenneth Avenue late Wednesday, investigators said. The men pistol-whipped six people and bound them with duct tape -- ordering five other people, including four children, to lie on the floor, investigators said. Police said the men robbed both apartments before leaving. None of the victims suffered serious injury http://chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0221invasion.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 3:00:14 PM EDT
Question for Chicago residents... I understand that you cannot own or possess a handgun. What legal problems would you encounter if, in this home invasion situation, you were able to get the gun away from the bad guy and then turned around and defended yourself with it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 1:20:02 AM EDT
The dirty little secret of the C(r)ook County legal system is that if someone is caught using a firearm in legitimate self-defense, the city's lawyers generally decline to press charges because they know they'll lose at trial. Three or four years ago, one such example made the national news: an elderly eastern-European immigrant (Polish or Ukrainian, I think) shot and killed some rotten little bastard who was trying to rob him. The cops never pressed charges, although they did confiscate the man's handgun. In one I know, the shooter was prosecuted, but the charges were dropped down to something trivial like illegal possession, and no jail time was served (firearm was confiscated, though, as usual). In 1993, an elderly woman confined to a wheelchair shot and killed some teenage gang member who had broken in and was wheeling her around from room to room, demanding that she point out valuables. Again, the cops only confiscated her gun. Her case was rather worse, though, in that the gang member's buddies harrassed her after that; I don't know what happened in the end. Found a partial cite for Mrs. Jones (apparently taken from the NRA's [i]The Armed Citizen[/i] column): [url]http://www.largo.org/armed_women.html[/url] (near the end, two from the bottom) Incidentally, there have been several home-invasion robberies in the Seattle area in the last few weeks. The laws out here clearly aren't working -- nobody has shot them yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:53:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jeffatemc: Question for Chicago residents... I understand that you cannot own or possess a handgun. What legal problems would you encounter if, in this home invasion situation, you were able to get the gun away from the bad guy and then turned around and defended yourself with it?
View Quote
You can own, you just cant keep it in the city. On how the law is, you should be charged with handling a gun without a FOID card. Why? Cause around these parts, you cannot go into a public range, unless you are with a parent, or have a FOID card. Its illegal to go to the range, and shoot, without a FOID card.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:16:51 AM EDT
It is also illegal to buy ammo if you do not have that FOID card. 6 months till I'm outta this freaking state! Av.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:45:39 AM EDT
Wisconsin is sounding alot like the promised land. Or maybe Indiana. I like this area, but I really hate the bullshit that goes along with it. If I get my gun collection up here after I get my papers in order, I'll probably be arrested for having an arsenal. What bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:44:10 AM EDT
While WI is nice, I got a kick in the pants. I am building a home in Genoa City, located in Walworth County. Problem is, Walworth Co. IS NOT CLASS 3 FRIENDLY. Sherrif will NOT sign for Class 3 stuff. One of the reasons I picked WI to move to was to get Class 3 stuff. Sill, no crazy FOID card to deal with. As long as I get my C&R I'll be happy. Av.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:02:10 AM EDT
Just head East a little bit. Like everyone has stated in the past, Indiana is a great state for gun ownership.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 12:59:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By macloud: Just head East a little bit. Like everyone has stated in the past, Indiana is a great state for gun ownership.
View Quote
I second that bro! West Lafayette here! Tyler
Top Top