Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2002 10:23:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am getting enrolled in the 401K program at work. I have a choice between investing between Fidelity Investments and Prudential Securities. Any advice on which may be the better of the two? Thanks.
View Quote

I'm sure you got a prospectus for both funds, correct?  Examine them and determine which one you think performs well for you (I assume there are several funds available from each company?).  If you're young pick a fund with a higher risk and greater potential reward.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't have enough information.

Probably what they're offering you is a mutual fund. But it may be a sort of overall manager for your money that allows you to pick where your money goes from a collection of mutual funds and other investments.

If its the second case you'll probably pick based on what they charge you.

Personally, I like index funds. No muss, no fuss, and they outperform most managed mutual funds.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]

I posted similar advice in thread from earlier this year - probably applies in your case also:

General Investing Advice- Begin by focusing your investment goals:
1) What is my goal? (retirement, college for kids, new car in three years...)
2) What is my time horizon? (2yrs, 5yrs, 15yrs, 25yrs?)
3) What is my "risk tolerance" (usually less than most people immediately think)
4) How much am I going to need to achieve my goal?
5) How much can I afford to invest per period to achieve that goal?
8) Will I need to consider tax implications of my choice?
7) What vehicle (individual stocks or bonds or mutual funds, etc.) is best for MY goals, time horizon, tolerance, and $$ ?
8) What are the costs/fees (12-b?, load? etc.)

For start-up advice on long term retirement accounts:
* Choose NO-LOAD funds
* DIVERSIFY!
* Lean towards LOW COST INDEX FUNDS
* Dollar-Cost Average (DCA) your investments.
* Don't put more than 5-10% ("play money") in individual stocks.
* Load up your ROTH IRA to it's annual max - any extra goes into your 401k.

Learn more through many sources:

Best books IMO are anything by John Bogle:
"Winning the Loser's Game"
"John Bogle on Investing"
"Common Sense On Mutual Funds"

John Bogle is the "Father of Index Funds" and probably the most [u]sensible[/u] voice in investing out there.

Also, head on over to Morningstar site at
[url]http://www.morningstar.com/[/url] and check out their forums - EXCELLENT place to begin learning about investing.

Also good is Motley Fool site at
[url]http://www.motleyfool.com/[/url]
they have good newbie advice and also put out a several good beginner-books.

Be sensible with your money, don't expect miracles - Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top