Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2002 10:59:01 AM EDT
Looking to set my dad up with a couple hundred MB's of space to host his small business website. He's been using Mindspring, since it was also his ISP for a while, but at $30 a month for a few pages of text and graphics, he's paying too much. We need a new hosting provider, but the number of options are positively overwhelming. I'm looking for between 50 and 250 mb of space tops, no ads, allows use of my FTP program(WS-FTP Pro) rather than a browser based uploading gadget, absolutely no ads(this is a professional business website), a static IP if possible, alloows me to use the existing actual domain name(www.wesitename.com) and an email service with maybe 10 accounts tops.

Who do you reccomend, and who should I avoid at all costs? These folks([url]http://www.featureprice.com/?c=2&p=7[/url]) look good so far, and at 150 mb for $10 monthly, the price is right, but I know nothing else about them.

Thanks in advance-

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally have a dedicated server on Hurricane Electric [url]www.he.net[/url], and am extremely pleased with the service and support. I recommend them highly, but they may be more than what your dad needs (although they do have smaller plans available).

I've also heard good things about Interland [url]www.interland.com[/url].

I'm sure you can find cheaper hosts out there than either of these two, and that may be a better fit for what you need. (It sounds like his requirements are pretty minimal)

For me, after getting dorked around with a hosting provider called Supernova I was interested in stability, reliability and knowledgeable tech support.

Hurricane Electric fit my needs for those criteria.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Try [url]www.brinkster.com[/url].  They have a range of options including free hosting.  I've been very happy with them.  Their premium service includes hosting your domain name and your site will run on a load-balanced cluster.  It's a lot less money than your dad has been paying.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think the guy who runs iHost is a shooter as well.  My e-mail signature says "When the barrel of my Glock meets Hoppes #9, it's like a long-lost family reunion."  And in one of his replies...quote]

maybe i should re-eval my sites
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top