Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/16/2002 10:59:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2002 11:01:24 AM EDT by Juggernaut]
Looking to set my dad up with a couple hundred MB's of space to host his small business website. He's been using Mindspring, since it was also his ISP for a while, but at $30 a month for a few pages of text and graphics, he's paying too much. We need a new hosting provider, but the number of options are positively overwhelming. I'm looking for between 50 and 250 mb of space tops, no ads, allows use of my FTP program(WS-FTP Pro) rather than a browser based uploading gadget, absolutely no ads(this is a professional business website), a static IP if possible, alloows me to use the existing actual domain name(www.wesitename.com) and an email service with maybe 10 accounts tops. Who do you reccomend, and who should I avoid at all costs? These folks([url]http://www.featureprice.com/?c=2&p=7[/url]) look good so far, and at 150 mb for $10 monthly, the price is right, but I know nothing else about them. Thanks in advance- Juggernaut
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:32:29 AM EDT
I personally have a dedicated server on Hurricane Electric [url]www.he.net[/url], and am extremely pleased with the service and support. I recommend them highly, but they may be more than what your dad needs (although they do have smaller plans available). I've also heard good things about Interland [url]www.interland.com[/url]. I'm sure you can find cheaper hosts out there than either of these two, and that may be a better fit for what you need. (It sounds like his requirements are pretty minimal) For me, after getting dorked around with a hosting provider called Supernova I was interested in stability, reliability and knowledgeable tech support. Hurricane Electric fit my needs for those criteria. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:52:38 AM EDT
Try [url]www.brinkster.com[/url]. They have a range of options including free hosting. I've been very happy with them. Their premium service includes hosting your domain name and your site will run on a load-balanced cluster. It's a lot less money than your dad has been paying.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:14:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:18:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:22:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:42:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DVDTracker: I think the guy who runs iHost is a shooter as well. My e-mail signature says "When the barrel of my Glock meets Hoppes #9, it's like a long-lost family reunion." And in one of his replies...quote] maybe i should re-eval my sites
Top Top