Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2002 3:14:20 AM EDT
I might be picking up a Homesteader enclosed 4x6 trailer today.  I just searched the internet and they said Homesteader trailers were junk compared to wells cargo.  Well, I just want to use this to carry my guns when I travel to go shooting.  My jeep can't hold too much.

I've never purchased anything used so I'm not sure of what exchanges with ownership.

Does the owner sign something over to me so I can prove ownership?  And what about the license plate?  Do they leave their plate on or take them off?  If they remove their plate, do I drive it home with no license plate?

I'm in VA so if you know Virginia law, I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 3:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know much about or experienced with trailer to help you there, but I guess like anything else, you got to have proof of purchase, proof of ownership, register at the DMV and get your plate.  Other than that, you can live next to a shooting range or save your money and buy your own range.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Trailer laws vary widely from state to state, at the very least you should recieve a bill of sale.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Ask for a bill of sale and the Department of Motor Vehicles paperwork that goes with the license plate. You'll have to do a transfer of ownership/registration at the DMV. Do a search for "trailer registration" at [URL]http://www.dmv.state.va.us[/URL]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I just called up the VA DMV and talked to someone.  Only 30 seconds on hold, wow.  The seller will sign over the title over to me.  

As far as the tag, I'm supposed to come in to the DMV and get a 3 day temporary tag.  Screw that.  I'll probably ask to see if the guy will show the trailer to me right near a mall which has a DMV in there. [:)]

Seems like I will soon have a gun case for my 50.  (the trailer) [:D]

Thanks.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top