Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2009 11:14:34 PM EDT
over the past years I went 5000 rounds with just light oiling in a few places.. I ran mostly dry tho.  At 5000 rounds I pulled the bolt stripped it, wiped all the gunk off of it and put it back in.  I stopped counting at 6000 rounds and I know I have surpassed 7000. I'm more likely in the upper 7000's.   It is not as bad as I thought..but it is still pretty dirty...I am having fun with the carbon in the bolt...tho it is flaking right off...so its just tedious, but not difficult.

THE RIFLE ITSELF HAS BEEN 100% RELIABLE!!!!!  the handfull of failures.. were talking 2-5 were all ammo related!!

Rifle: 1998 Bushmaster DCM lower, 2000 Bushmaster 14.5" perm AK(16") brake M4gery upper.
Ammo:  Old school SA battle packs, Federal XM193, Winchester Q3131A, and a few boxes of remington 223.. that is it!

Moral of the story.. Clean your rifles more often..not because it will fail..but to keep it from becoming harder to clean.

ETA:  This was not clean range shooting.. most if not all of it was desert camping/shooting trips..usually with adverse weather of some sort such as wind and rain...Mountain camping/shooting trips, a few backpacking trips with said rifle, and a mess of rifle/2gun/3gun matches.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I clean mine everytime I shoot it...whether its 500 rounds or 30....makes life so much easier in the long run. I miss those SA battlepacks...shoulda bought 10 cases of that stuff...at 309.95 each for 2700 rounds...I'd have 27,000 rounds for a little over 3 grand.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I clean mine everytime I shoot it...whether its 500 rounds or 30....makes life so much easier in the long run. I miss those SA battlepacks...shoulda bought 10 cases of that stuff...at 309.95 each for 2700 rounds...I'd have 27,000 rounds for a little over 3 grand.

I used to clean after every shoot but then I got lazy haha.

the problem was I shot the crap out of that SA back in the day when I could find em for $40ish/300.  So I could never get a stockpile started haha.  the SA is/was GREAT AMMO!
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a loud fucking rifle.  The backblast from that AK brake is good on your buddy at the next bench, ain't it?  
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread makes me feel better...
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
over the past years I went 5000 rounds with just light oiling in a few places.. I ran mostly dry tho.  At 5000 rounds I pulled the bolt stripped it, wiped all the gunk off of it and put it back in.  I stopped counting at 6000 rounds and I know I have surpassed 7000. I'm more likely in the upper 7000's.   It is not as bad as I thought..but it is still pretty dirty...I am having fun with the carbon in the bolt...tho it is flaking right off...so its just tedious, but not difficult.

THE RIFLE ITSELF HAS BEEN 100% RELIABLE!!!!!  the handfull of failures.. were talking 2-5 were all ammo related!!

Rifle: 1998 Bushmaster DCM lower, 2000 Bushmaster 14.5" perm AK(16") brake M4gery upper.
Ammo:  Old school SA battle packs, Federal XM193, Winchester Q3131A, and a few boxes of remington 223.. that is it!

Moral of the story.. Clean your rifles more often..not because it will fail..but to keep it from becoming harder to clean.

I may be missing something but why would you go 5000+ rounds without a cleaning?  What is the logic behind that?
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Spray in some CLP and shoot. Works fine for me. Running dry will of course lead to hard carbon deposits. It's a battle rifle; tell it to suck it up and work harder.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's a loud fucking rifle.  The backblast from that AK brake is good on your buddy at the next bench, ain't it?  

And I love it!  I threw an m16 bolt in it and put it on a full auto lower.. that brake is freaking effective.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm totally anal about cleaning. I picked up 3 ARs before the 2000 ban and those 3 lowers have to last me until I eventually retire and get the fuck out of Dodge.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may be missing something but why would you go 5000+ rounds without a cleaning?  What is the logic behind that?

1.  Tired of all the "not reliable" crap floating around and wanted to see what it could do.
2.  Got lazy..used to clean guns for a living.
3.  Because I can

I decided to clean just to avoid major wear that would have really started happening.. so far there is no obvious wear on the moving parts.  lube in the right places goes a LONG way.

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm totally anal about cleaning. I picked up 3 ARs before the 2000 ban and those 3 lowers have to last me until I eventually retire and get the fuck out of Dodge.

me to.. when i clean.. were talking dental tool anal haha.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the problem was I shot the crap out of that SA back in the day when I could find em for $40ish/300.  So I could never get a stockpile started haha.  the SA is/was GREAT AMMO!
I wish they would import some more of that...I miss the Malaysian too

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The good `ol SA battlepacks..I think I might have 1 or 2 still lying around here
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread is weird.

If I cleaned my ar every time I shot it, I would end up scrubbing off the finnish of the bolt.
Do not scrape all the black shit off of the bolt or bolt carrier or chamber.

Cleaning is relative.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I went over 3000 rounds through this one before finally cleaning it.
I ran LC, Winchester, mixed surplus and Wolf through it without any malfunctions.
I only cleaned it because I couldn't take it anymore.
Phessor

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#15]
But, but, but..it's not a piston-driven AR

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Pat Rogers has put 15,000+ rounds through his ar15 without cleaning it.  Source here: http://www.slip2000.com/patrogers15000.html
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Some guy put 10000 rounds of wolf through his ar, there are pictures here somewhere. Years ago troy went longer than that withou cleaning. As long as they are lubed just shooting doesn't seem to matter.

It's funny to still see stuff like that thread on falfiles about the guy with 15000 rounds through his fal anf all the gunstore commando comments about how an ar won't do that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Wasn't that a stealth upper?

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I love it!  I threw an m16 bolt in it and put it on a full auto lower.. that brake is freaking effective.

Love mine, too!     And you're right about the effectiveness.  I've run a RLL in mine.

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I ran LC, Winchester, mixed surplus and Wolf through it without any malfunctions.
Phessor

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSCF2459_edited.JPG

How much of that was with the suppressor?  Ive noticed that with suppressors you get a lot more gas back into the receiver..making it dirty 2-3x as fast.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Phessor

How much of that was with the suppressor? Ive noticed that with suppressors you get a lot more gas back into the receiver..making it dirty 2-3x as fast.

So? I hear you have a suppressor?

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 1:05:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Phessor

How much of that was with the suppressor? Ive noticed that with suppressors you get a lot more gas back into the receiver..making it dirty 2-3x as fast.

No..but living in AZ I think I'm the only one without one!  Also been in and out of the firearms industry for a number of years and have had access to some nice toys over the years.  But along with the nice toys comes cleaning them after.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Phessor

How much of that was with the suppressor?  Ive noticed that with suppressors you get a lot more gas back into the receiver..making it dirty 2-3x as fast.

It was all shot suppressed, I would have blackened cheaks and trigger finger from shooting so much.
I can't wait to get back to it.
Phessor
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#24]
from what I remember about you, you probably had to go buy a screwdriver and some wire to pull through your barrel to clean it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Phessor

No..but living in AZ I think I'm the only one without one! Also been in and out of the firearms industry for a number of years and have had access to some nice toys over the years. But along with the nice toys comes cleaning them after.

espically if you have a suppressor attached
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 1:58:22 AM EDT
[#26]
This is obviously a hoax - I just read in another thread that only Colt and Noveskie rifles were reliable. Anything by Bushmaster or RRA is JUNK!  

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#27]
This is a joke of mine,

I have an AR, my bolt is black and obviously full of carbon, I've bought the special cleaning tools.

I've done everything I can to shine up my bolt and bolt carrier.

Now my bolt is starting to show surface rust.

How can I fix it?

end of joke.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is a joke of mine,

I have an AR, my bolt is black and obviously full of carbon, I've bought the special cleaning tools.

How can I fix it?

end of joke.

easy... polish her up..and then krylon!
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#29]
+1 Whirlygirl45
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 2:35:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a joke of mine,

How can I fix it?

end of joke.

easy... polish her up..and then krylon!

It really is funny,
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 3:46:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is obviously a hoax - I just read in another thread that only Colt and Noveskie rifles were reliable. Anything by Bushmaster or RRA is JUNK!  

Well mine is a Noveske upper with a Sun Devel lower and it had a Timney trigger in it at the time. It also was built using CMT/Stag parts so its close to being a Colt.
Phessor
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 3:55:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well mine is a Noveske upper with a Sun Devel lower and it had a Timney trigger in it at the time. It also was built using CMT/Stag parts so its close to being a Colt.
Phessor

nice.

The bushmaster is the only purebred AR I have all the rest are AR parts guns.  I must say that all the parts in this rifle are very well made, the machining on them is clean and neat, everything fits together nicely.  I do have the 2 stage bushy dcm trigger in it which is nice but it needs to be touched up a bit, I have abused it and it is getting slightly mushy when it breaks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I call BS,AR's aren't reliable enough to do that.Ask any AK owner .
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:04:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I pre-soak in mineral spirits; then use the brass spring from a stripper clip to scrape, followed by a bronze brush to clean mine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the problem was I shot the crap out of that SA back in the day when I could find em for $40ish/300. So I could never get a stockpile started haha. the SA is/was GREAT AMMO!

I wish they would import some more of that...I miss the Malaysian too

Glad I bought all that 62g. Radway Green on bandoliers in 900rd. ammo cans...

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Just spray some CLP in there every couple of mags and they will almost run forever
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just spray some CLP in there every couple of mags and they will almost run forever

yup.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Thorough clean everytime I shoot. It helps my computer is basically on a workbench. Surf arfcom while cleaning the rifles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phessor

nice.

The bushmaster is the only purebred AR I have all the rest are AR parts guns.  I must say that all the parts in this rifle are very well made, the machining on them is clean and neat, everything fits together nicely.  I do have the 2 stage bushy dcm trigger in it which is nice but it needs to be touched up a bit, I have abused it and it is getting slightly mushy when it breaks.

Now I know you're telling a story. A Bushmaster 2-stage that lasts 7000 rounds? NOT POSSIBLE!
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Simple––he's just trying to piss off the mamby-pambies who own "museum pieces" out there.

TC

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phessor

nice.

Now I know you're telling a story. A Bushmaster 2-stage that lasts 7000 rounds? NOT POSSIBLE!

Seriously, I have heard that so many times its not even funny.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I ran my Cav/CMMG mutt once for about 3000 rounds before I pulled the pins.  Aside from making a mess on my bench, nothing remarkable happened.

+1 about scrubbing the finish off the bolt if I cleaned my rifle every time I shot it
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I ran my Cav/CMMG mutt once for about 3000 rounds before I pulled the pins.  Aside from making a mess on my bench, nothing remarkable happened.

+1 about scrubbing the finish off the bolt if I cleaned my rifle every time I shot it

Funny thing is, after cleaning my bolt and carrier and reassembling it, it looks better than some brand new ones I have seen!
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#45]
seriously
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
seriously

yes..thuper cereal!

I wish I woulda taken pics as i pulled it apart too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top