Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2002 6:40:58 PM EDT
Well as promised I've got more questions about home improvement. For some reason the plumbing gods are mad at me and I've had a few serious problems right off the bat.

First a saddle valve for the ice maker started leaking inside the wall. I've torn the wall out and fixed that (getting rid of the saddle valve and tapping in to a real valve I installed).

Now I've got a problem with my toilet.

After fixing the other plumbing (which involved turning on the water main) I've noticed a constant dripping noise from inside the tank. Then this morning I noticed some water on the floor (albeit a small amount). I looked under the tank and found there was water leaking from somewhere, but am not sure where since it is just dripping slowly and simply riding the outside of the tank before falling.

Now, two questions. Is the dripping sound from water dripping down the spout from the tank because of a bad seal?

And is the water under my tank from the gasket between the tank and the toilet? Or is it just condensation since the water coming in is so cold and the water is always running because of the leak?

Sorry for the longwinded explanation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the bolts and gaskets holding the tank to the bowl, the seal between the tank and bowl, and the inlet line to the tank.  You may have a loose connection at anyone of these areas or the gaskets or seals may be deteriorated.  Hope this helps!!!
Ohhh, the joys of being a homeowner!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]
In the meantime if you go over to the neighbors to borrow theirs its considered polite to bring your own roll and magazine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Be CAREFUL!  That china pot is ever so fragile!

Turn water off and see if it still leaks after an hour or so.  If not, then leak is at feed tube connection.  If still leaks then either fill valve to tank or tank to bowl gasket is leaking.  By far most likely is tank to bowl gasket.  Drain tank, unhook supply and remove tank.  Install new gasket as well as seals on bolts.  Tighten with care.  Do NOT have a hammer in the same room!  The china senses this and cracks for spite!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey thanks again guys. I've definetely got my weekend cut out for me!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:45:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I replaced my level switch with the new pressure sensor types.  No moving parts. It only sits an couple of inches off the bottom of the tank. It is easy to adjust..

Better than the ball and stick model or the rising float.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot it. Warn your neighbors first, as they may not be familiar with this type of plumbing method.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top