Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2001 6:32:34 PM EDT
No I dont, I am very fond of the rugged AK.
The reason I bring this up is there is always a thread on AK47.net, on the front page that has the AR vs. AK debate.
There are usually two groups, those that hate the AR15/M16 and those that embrace both.
Just wondering what you jam-o-matic lovers think of the, shooting around corners, AK47/74.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd let you know, but I buried it in either sand or muck (I forgot which) because someone told me this was the only cleaning they needed.
Now I can't find the thing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
i have both,love both.this topic seems to get rehashed every ten days or so.for the record i'll say that out of two bushies i have,the preban has never caused one bit of a problem and the postban got jammed up but good once but that was because(ok slap me with the stupid stick)i tried to use a usa mag.learned my lession real quick about those mags.mmk  
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I own both AR15's and Kalashnikov's. Although I prefer the AR15 for accuracy and human engineering, I still love the AK simplicity. I have a preban Poly Tech that will keep all of the shots from a 30 round mag(about one shot per second) on a 20 inch disk at 400m.

Melvin
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I like them both.  Each has their own purpose, and are damn fun to shoot. On this subject, anyone know of a source to get a post-ban Poly-Tech or am I just dreaming?
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
whatever happened to buy american! and so for that reason i don't like ak's.  and  another reason is that a lot of my peers spent a lot of time being shot at by ak's. never did understand why we even let them in the country.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both, prefer the AR, but I can appreciate the simplicity and reliability of the AK.  If the SHTF, I would choose the AR though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like them both.  Each has their own purpose, and are damn fun to shoot. On this subject, anyone know of a source to get a post-ban Poly-Tech or am I just dreaming?
View Quote

Sniper try CDNN Investments for that Poly Tech. Thay had some preban converted to postban for $400.00

[url]http://www.cdnninvestments.com[/url]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
My father was in the China military for 38 years.I shot at least 100 different Chinese F/A Norinco 56 and 81(AK-47) since I was 9(1983) until I came to the U.S(1994). I don't know how much ammo I shot, I think more than 3 tons. I didn't have any probelms with those AKs I have been shot.
I go back to China visit my parents each year and shot AK in my father's base, but no anymore(my father passed away last year).
Even I don't have a F/A AK here, but I still love the S/A Ak and I miss my father.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate'em all of 'em.............well except for the ones I own, but all the rest of them are junk, and I hate'em.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
ar15usa there are many of us here who would think of you as a very lucky man to have gotten the repeated chance to fire f/a ak's.something that most of us if any will never get to do.mmk
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The AR and the AK are two totally different weapons for totally different situations.

The AR must be kept in a vacuum sealed temperature controlled wrapper,cleaned every other round, and fired only using match grade ammo. [b]And it still might jam!![/b][pissed]

But, with the AK you can leave it out in the snow all winter, pour quickcrete cement down the barrel and shoot any caliber bullet you want thru it!! [b]And it will still fire!![/b][heavy]

So as you see, it all depends on your needs.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The real reason I love my AK is that Schumer, Rodham, Boxer and Feinstein hate them. Any thing those guys hate is alright with me.
[uzi]
Plus ripping 75 rounds out at once is almost orgasmic.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Have both, like both, but really prefer my FNC para.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If you travel to China they have a range that rents out all sorts of weaponry.  You can even fire mortars and heavy mg's.  Read about it in SOF F/F's.

I also have both but I have never shot my AK yet.  I think mine is too rare to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
As an AR owner, they don't threaten me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#16]
NO, I love all real military rifles.  I especialy love the AK for its rugged reliability, great cartridge and cheap price.  More AKs have been produced than I can count, and for a good reason.  ****No Flame Intended***
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no reason for an AK anything type weapon.

I shoot my ARs enough that I'm entirely confident in their reliability and I'm infinitely quicker with an AR design than I am with an AK design.  I'm also able to use the gun with much more precision than with an AK design.

Only thing I give credit to the AK series is their relative cheapness and that they tend to carry a bit more of a "thump."

Lately I've seen more than my fair share of "AK versus AR" threads on multiple forums.

All I do is provide as many sources for the vast market of custom parts, chamberings, and versions of the AR where as the AK is just a "plain vanilla" firearm for the most part.

The AR is perfect enough for me, I've got an SKS if I want a little bit of "low tech" flavor, I've never seen a need to personally own one of the AK designs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
TIMEPORT, IS FIGHTING FIREARMS STILL BE PRODUCED?  I DO NOT READ SOLDIER OF FICTION THOUGH THE BACKM ISSUES FROM THE SEVENTIES ARE AWSOME BUT F/F WAS VERY INFORMATIVE MUCH LIKE SMALL ARMS REVIEW.

btt
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#19]
But has anyone seen the NEW AKs where the barrel and reciever recoil with every round? Been called the "best assault rifle made today." Funny thing is, the soviets have so flooded the market with AKs, no one wants the new one and they cannot afford to arm their own troops with them. Only a few Russian SF units have them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
TIMEPORT, IS FIGHTING FIREARMS STILL BE PRODUCED?  I DO NOT READ SOLDIER OF FICTION THOUGH THE BACKM ISSUES FROM THE SEVENTIES ARE AWSOME BUT F/F WAS VERY INFORMATIVE MUCH LIKE SMALL ARMS REVIEW.

btt
View Quote

I have not seen them for a couple of years at least.  They are gone, gone, gone....

I only have a few issues of what I considered to be the best gun magazine.

Hmm....Maybe the backorder issues are still available?  I doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#21]
yep i hate em,

i hate spending $300 bucks for a new rifle
i hate $5 mags and drums under $100
i hate having to pay$80/1k for ammo
i hate it when the things never ever have a problem(not something i can say  about my ar)
i hate the system being so rugged i can use the mags to pound nails(not that i will need to, but what the hell?)
i hate the fact that i can bump off mags like a mad man and get every bolt guy at the range pissed at me
i hate the fact that just incase a shoestring can be made to do very interesting things on one
i hate that damn sight rail on em too, where u can slide one sight off and put another on and it stays zero'd
and i really hate that they are without a doubt the most politically incorrect firearm you can own.
ya, i hate ak's
[heavy]
(but if i ever have to shoot groups the AR wins hands down)
[sniper]
steyrAUG that is the AN94, i dont think its the same as an AK, it fires in burst and auto i think, in burst it fires the 2 rounds at something like 1800 RPM, it only sounds like one shot, but in auto it fires at like 600 rpm i think, sounds like a very interesting toy. i also remember hearing that the russians will not sell the thing to anybody, wanna keep it to themselves unlike the ak series i guess.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I didn't even own an AK until Bill Bennett uni-laterally decided that the American people did not need them.  Till then, I only had AR-15s and considered the AKs nothing but junk.  The 7.62x39mm round also kept me from buying AKs.

After the import ban, I bought as many AKs as I could, but all in .223 calibre.  IMHO, the AK really comes alive in .223 and beats the heck out of the 7.62x39mm in terms of accuracy.

I ultimely obtained AKs in the 7.62, but only after the Granada Invasion and the resulting
flood of that ammo into the US.

BTW, I still can't forgive Bennett and the Bush Administration's overreaction to Stockton, etc.  But that's just me.

Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Jam-O-Matic??? I don't own anything that jams so I wouldn't know. What are you call it a jam-o-matic.

Don't let the door hit ya' where the Lord split ya'!
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I own both AR15's and Kalashnikov's. Although I prefer the AR15 for accuracy and human engineering, I still love the AK simplicity. I have a preban Poly Tech that will keep all of the shots from a 30 round mag(about one shot per second) on a 20 inch disk at 400m.

Melvin
View Quote

20" is a big disk Melvin, but doin it at (1) round a second for 30 seconds.....come on... get real...unless your name is Farrow...

Now no flames please... just if Melvin can shoot like that AND own that weapon in the great State of NEW YORK..... he needs to be running for Governor or something.... what about it Guys & Gals?
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#25]
GreginWV, Thanks for the link. Ill check them out.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I like them both, of course I prefer the ar for accuracy but the ak is very reliable. In my humble opinion also the M-14 was a better service rifle than both for infantry anyhow, but the ar a nd ak would be good for urban assaults
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't own an AK yet, but I do have a Russian SKS. It's a pretty darned good shooter, loves the steel cased russian junk, and I figured it would be a good idea to own at least one rifle of each caliber which may be used against me. I want to be able to shoot back at them with their ammo. [:D]

I do plan on buying an AK as soon as I get my AR habit under control.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I absolutely despise my Valmet Ak! I despise it so much I'm looking for another one.

I'll never see the point of the endless bickering as to which rifle is better, the AK or the AR?; or, that age old question, what is more important accuracy or reliability? The fact is, both weapons are superb! I use the AR 15 in my fulltime job and my part-time job, so I am more familar with it's capabilities, and I can handle it far better than an AK. However, my gunsmith, who builds AR's, learned how to handle AK's in the Czech Army so he prefers the AK design. Everyone has a preference, but I recommend getting both.

Signals out!  
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#30]
The AK is mutch more reliable.
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1391821&a=12055303&p=44087242
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
yep i hate em,

i hate spending $300 bucks for a new rifle
i hate $5 mags and drums under $100
i hate having to pay$80/1k for ammo
i hate it when the things never ever have a problem(not something i can say  about my ar)
i hate the system being so rugged i can use the mags to pound nails(not that i will need to, but what the hell?)
i hate the fact that i can bump off mags like a mad man and get every bolt guy at the range pissed at me
i hate the fact that just incase a shoestring can be made to do very interesting things on one
i hate that damn sight rail on em too, where u can slide one sight off and put another on and it stays zero'd
and i really hate that they are without a doubt the most politically incorrect firearm you can own.
ya, i hate ak's
[heavy]
View Quote

Yeah. I hate that too.

Link Posted: 3/18/2001 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I know someone that left an AK in a vat of aqua regia for a week and it still worked like it was brand new out of the box. Try that with an AR15.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
I know someone that left an AK in a vat of aqua regia for a week and it still worked like it was brand new out of the box. Try that with an AR15.
View Quote

LOL. You never know when you might have to stash your weapon in a large vat of acids. You are joking, right?

That's somewhat more impressive than posts that I have read suggesting the utility of storing an AK in(throwing it in) a river, lake, or stream for an extended period of time.  

If that's the best that someone can come up with they might as well just get it over with now.

I don't understand why someone would intentionally abuse and neglect a rifle that they feel they may have to rely upon to protect their life someday (much less when they feel that day is upon them).

That just doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. [:\] I do not see it as any type of benefit because it is so far removed from a sensible course of action.

To answer the question - No, It's a gun - I like guns.  Some of the reasoning that people use to claim that it is the best thing since sliced bread is more than a bit interesting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 3:31:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I like 10 doller mags 85 doller for 1000 ronds.
and you can get 40 rounders to.
You go broke tring feed an AR.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Hmmmm....O.K. Falcon 2,let's take a closer look here.
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/_uimages/cat.jpg[/img]

AHA![:D]
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By garden weasel:
Hmmmm....O.K. Falcon 2,let's take a closer look here.
View Quote

ROFLMAO!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#37]
HAHAHA...That Garden Weasel...He be a funny one!!! LMMFAO!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 5:40:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Oh,almost forgot. All military-type firearms be cool! This "my gun is better than your gun" is zit-squeezer crap...
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I didnt intend for this to turn into another AR vs AK thread.
I wanted to know if you, being AR types, hold ill feelings of the AK family.
I for one would not own one, due to my military experience and the fact that so many Americans were killed by them. I was young.
Then came a day when I might not be able to buy any, so I bought one. A SLR95. The first day I had it, I stripped it and found it`s utter simplicity could  mean less to go wrong. I was converted.
As I stated in my opening post, the boys over at AK47.net HATE the AR15 family of rifles. That is beyond my understanding and I wanted to know your feelings on another weapon system.
mmkay?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I own both a Colt M16A2 and a PolyTech Full Auto AKM, and my observation is that the M16 jams and breaks down constantly, and just quits firing unless it's absolutely clean.  The AK has never once malfunctioned, even with mud in the receiver.  Which would I take if I were in a SHTF scenario?  Easy.  The good one.  I'll let everyone else die on their knees trying to find that little spring or pin that went flying out of their M16 when they were trying to clean it well enough to get it to fire.
Just my opinion...
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Then came a day when I might not be able to buy any, so I bought one.
View Quote

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/_uimages/mao.jpg[/img]
"Hurry up
and buy!"
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#43]
[puke]
I hear this crap all the time.....AR's have to be spot less...jam all the time....clean after every round;  this is bull!!! I have spent over ten years in the Army and on numerous occasions, I fired several hundreds of rds in live fire exercises this means low crawling river crossings ect... getting dirty and wet and never have I had a malfunction!!!  Okay.. I did clean my weapon and oiled it before the live fire exercise, ran the lane three times on day one...firing blanks the first two go arounds and live ammo on the third.  If anyone here has ever fired blanks through  there AR they know how dirty they are!!  In combat you carry a minimum of 210 rds.   I fired almost 500. If this isn't testimony I don't know what is.  I spent 1 month in Iraq during Desert Storm..fired thousands of rds through AK.. yea they work great...yea they throw lead...however..wars are won with precision and accuracy.  That is where the m-16 maintains its edge.  My AK shoots great out to about 200m.  Past that...give me my AR anyday.  The first M-16's produced were junk..and were given a bad name since then...they have been perfected and are my first choice of weapon if I have to see combat again!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I didnt intend for this to turn into another AR vs AK thread.
I wanted to know if you, being AR types, hold ill feelings of the AK family.

View Quote

They're all CRAP stacked up next to my M1, but thats another thread.  [:D]

AK's make Liberal bedwetters break out in hives, and therefore they hold a place of honor in my thinking.

I've been fortunate enuf to have my choice of firearms, and thus far, I've chosen the AR. I love how modular it is - ENDLESS combinations of posibilities.

Do I hold ill-will against a fellow firearms owner who owns a politically incorrect weapon that the masses can afford??? Hardly. For cheap thrills, I bought an SKS.

If they hold ill-will to me, an AR owner, that sounds like AR-envy to me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#45]
The AK is a good beater gun I have not had any problems with mine but I still prefer and love the AR by far.  The AK is a very simple minded design where the AR is more of a masterpiece.
[img]http://www.4af-tools.com/gore.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#46]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1567996&a=11958523&p=44189739[/img]

Just remember you guys made me do it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#47]
[:D] let take the ak and ar and combine them together, so we can have the best of both worlds.

....oohh wait! thats been done before. their called ar-18, g36, zm-weapons, and the oa series from olympic arms.

to bad we cant buy a g36 here. here is my dream rifle. it will have:

1. m16a2 sights, with the option of a flattop
2. gas piston upper, but more like a draganov. the gas piston should be shorter and smaller in diamater in order to reduce weight. less weight will mean less mass slamming against your shoulder and improve accuracy.
3. stainless stell barrel instead of a chrome-lined barrel which hampers accuracy
4. a 6.5x42mm round. a new light weight cartridge that should have a good trajectory, plus mass to help punch through targets.
5. a very tough polymer lightweight collapsible stock. can be set to different pull lenghts or to offset vests and gear. pistol grip is similar to the ar grip, but slightly wider
6. see-thru polymer mags like on an aug.
7. an easy to remove barrel so that it could double as a SAW.
8. flashsuppresor
9. general control layout as on an ar, but with ambidextreous mag realease and safty lever.
10. a bit more room in the action so it can take more dirt and grime.

Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top