Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/14/2002 6:15:36 AM EDT
I had fooled myself into buying a glock for a while, but those 1911's just look to cool. Since I just decided this yesterday I don't have any idea what the good ones are. I am looking to spend around 400 bucks, new or used. Can you guys through out some makes and models that I could trust if I found one? I would be [:)]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:22:02 AM EDT
Sometimes you can pick up old Colt's in the +/-$400 range. It's hard to find a good new 1911A1 in that price range though. You can get Auto-Ordnance 1911A1's for about four bills, but I'd steer clear of Auto-Ordnance. The first pistol I bought was an Auto-Ord, and the only reason that I have kept it was sheer sentimentality. Last year I picked up an old Springfield standard stock GI no-bones 1911A1 for about $300. It has become my "beater". Maybe you should check out the used market.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:47:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:50:32 AM EDT
For another ~$100 you can get a new SA milspec. Good gun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:59:11 AM EDT
Colt used Govt Model series 70 Springfield Armory Kimber Colt new Les Baer Wilson just to name a few
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:06:33 AM EDT
my used SA milspec was under $400. used argentine model 1927, made under contract to colt should be under $400. avoid the ballester molina, it's not a real 1911. i got a good llama under $400, other folks dont seem to like them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:12:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2002 7:12:44 AM EDT by Schnert]
Lurker, I've never owned a Llama, I've just heard a lot of rants about them. However, I have often times thought about getting one just for "kicks". What's your expereince been? It sounds like you have a good one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:35:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Schnert: Lurker, I've never owned a Llama, I've just heard a lot of rants about them. However, I have often times thought about getting one just for "kicks". What's your expereince been? It sounds like you have a good one.
View Quote
i posted about this on the "POS" thread. i've had my "1911-style" llama minimax subcompact for about a year. bought it new for $300 because i wanted a concealable 1911. ok, actually i got it because i wanted to go shooting and my SA milspec was in the shop. it eats everything, even ammo the SA rejects. 0 (zero) malfunctions, never been to the smith. it's not amazingly accurate (all 9 on a 9" plate at 10 yds), and it's not beautiful (except maybe in a homely, functional sort of way) but what do you want from a conceal piece? with a shoulder holster it tucks nicely into the armpit, about as concealable as a .45 can get. claims to have a 10 round doublestack mag, but i can only get 9 in. i like it. cheap, reliable, .45acp. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:41:12 AM EDT
Thanks Lurker, Maybe I'll pick one up the next time I see one. Those compacts always intrigued me. They're priced right and I wouldn't feel too bad if I used it and abused it. Thanks again![:)]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:48:55 AM EDT
The Argentine imported Systema Colt modelo 1927's are very good quality copies of the M1911A1 and all U.S.G.I. parts are supposed to interchange. They are within your price range. Don't count out the Norinco copies if you can find one they are much better pistols than they get credit for. Someone mentioned Auto Ordinance, since Kahr Arms bought them, the quality is supposed to be much better than it was.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:59:38 AM EDT
I had a Llama 1911, and it was a pretty good gun, except when the extractor broke. I had to take it to the smith 3 times, and it still broke again. I don't blame it on the gun, nor the smith. I ended up selling it at a gunshow for $100. Now I have a Llama Micromax in .380. I've only put about 200 rounds through it, and it seems to work fine. The magazine is a little messed up near the feed lips, which sometimes caused a round in the mag to hit the slide stop. I ordered a couple mags from ProMag, so I'll see how those work. It fits well, works well, has several safeties (thumb, grip and firing pin like in the newer Colts). I can tell the metal is a little soft, but it's not going to be a gun I shoot thousands of rounds through, so I'm not worried about it. I like it.. it's just like a miniature 1911! :)
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:06:16 AM EDT
here are two good ones the first is going for $650 right now but 4 mags two 10 and two hi-cap pre-bans...the second is $390..... [img]http://pictures.auctionarms.com/January/springfield1911hicap.JPG[/img] [url]http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2338631[/url] [img]http://pictures.auctionarms.com/December/45stnd1.jpg[/img] [url]http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2349890[/url]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:09:49 AM EDT
I just bought a new Springfield Mil-Spec 1911-A1 for $469. Great gun, great price.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:04:40 PM EDT
lurker: avoid the ballester molina, it's not a real 1911.
View Quote
lurker, you've had bad luck with a Ballester Molina? [:(] I was going to say "for $189 - I love those things!". But the truth is, I'd like 'em at twice the price. I've had two for ± 5 years now, use them as beaters (one is a tackle box gun & lives in the boat). With a couple thousand through either one, I can't remember a single FTF/F/&F. I know they're not "real Colts", but I always thought the parts were interchangeable (where applicable that is -- they don't have the grip safety). BTW, regular 1911 mags work fine. Just curious what kind of problems you've had with them?[:(]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:52:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1:
lurker: avoid the ballester molina, it's not a real 1911.
View Quote
lurker, you've had bad luck with a Ballester Molina? [:(]
View Quote
ive never had one, so i dont really know. it is my understanding that the only parts you can swap are the barrel and mag. for the price it's probably an excellent handgun, just dont expect it to be a 1911.
Top Top