Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/11/2002 7:20:40 PM EDT
OK, Mrs. MGNiko got me a really nice tie to wear out to our V-Day dinner this week. Well, I own a whole 1 tie, and its a clip on [:)] So, can someone explain to me how the hell to tie this thing!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:25:13 PM EDT
Don't feel bad, I'm 32 & still can't work one of those damn things.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:27:58 PM EDT
If it's a good silk tie you are going to want to tie a "full windsor." I also have a trademark knot I use on cheap ties that can't get as tight (the secret is you start inside out)- it avoids the huge not look on Army uniforms (Army ties are proabably the cheapest made ties I have ever come across) You also have the option of a "half-windsor" - although it is hard to make nice and pretty and symmetric-like (or like your clip on probably looks). If no one has posted by late tonight when I get odff work, I will draw sketches and scan for you. Adam
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:31:48 PM EDT
Now I don't feel as bad, im 28 and can't tie one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:31:51 PM EDT
[url]http://www.bizweb.com/tie/[/url] T
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:33:36 PM EDT
[i]Playboy[/i] June 2000 issue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:36:15 PM EDT
Got one "-"'d word for ya: Strap-on.... oops wrong thread; clip-on
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:07:54 PM EDT
Thanks toaster! I've added that to my favorites page [:D] See, that's why I love this board. I can find answers to questions that I would never want my dear wife to find out I don't know!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2002 8:18:52 PM EDT by Paul]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:19:40 PM EDT
If you have a nice silk tie. The Shelby not is the way to go. It gives you a more triangular knot and small. Great for full and button down collars. The full windsor is great for spread collars. Basically this is a Windsor knot down upside down. [img]http://members.aol.com/mbastyle/web/ltie3.gif[/img] 1. Start with the tie inside out. Cross A under B. A is the wider part of the tie. 2. Take A over and under B 3. Pull it tight 4. Take A over to the left. 5. Take A up and through the loop around your neck. 6. And bring A down through the knot and tighten it. 7. Draw the knot up tightly around your neck. The tip of A should tough your belt buckle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:20:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:01:35 PM EDT
Personally I use the the "The Four-In-Hand Knot". I am rather tall and skinny. If I use a half or full windsor I end up with a short tie. The Shelby is nice, but again, I end up with the tie tips WAY above my belly button.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:18:41 PM EDT
Read below. [):)]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:05:15 AM EDT
LordTrader: That "Shelby" knot is my secret Class A uniform knot - how dare you release it to the world!! [:)] It is about the only knot that will give you a nice, uniform, symmetric knot that is not too big when using the cheapo Army nylon ties. I've never been able to get a good knot with a four-in-hand, but a half-windsor works OK on my cheaper Korean made ties. Know if only I could find a place around here to buy a real bowtie - I've always wanted a real bowtie (MY GOD PEOPLE - IF YOU ARE GOING TO WEAR A TUS WITH A TURNED UP COLLAR, AT LEAST USE A REAL BOW TIE SO THE ADJUSTING STRAP DOEN'T STARE AT ME!!) I think I'm OK now, the doctor gave me my happy pills. Adam
Top Top