Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2002 7:20:40 PM EDT
OK, Mrs. MGNiko got me a really nice tie to wear out to our V-Day dinner this week.  Well, I own a whole 1 tie, and its a clip on [:)]  So, can someone explain to me how the hell to tie this thing!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't feel bad, I'm 32 & still can't work one of those damn things.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a good silk tie you are going to want to tie a "full windsor."

I also have a trademark knot I use on cheap ties that can't get as tight (the secret is you start inside out)- it avoids the huge not look on Army uniforms (Army ties are proabably the cheapest made ties I have ever come across)

You also have the option of a "half-windsor" - although it is hard to make nice and pretty and symmetric-like (or like your clip on probably looks).

If no one has posted by late tonight when I get odff work, I will draw sketches and scan for you.

Adam
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Now I don't feel as bad, im 28 and can't tie one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.bizweb.com/tie/[/url]

T
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
[i]Playboy[/i] June 2000 issue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Got one "-"'d word for ya: Strap-on.... oops wrong thread; clip-on
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks toaster!  I've added that to my favorites page [:D]  See, that's why I love this board.  I can find answers to questions that I would never want my dear wife to find out I don't know!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have a nice silk tie. The Shelby not is the way to go. It gives you a more triangular knot and small. Great for full and button down collars. The full windsor is great for spread collars.

Basically this is a Windsor knot down upside down.

[img]http://members.aol.com/mbastyle/web/ltie3.gif[/img]

1. Start with the tie inside out. Cross A under B. A is the wider part of the tie.
2. Take A over and under B
3. Pull it tight
4. Take A over to the left.
5. Take A up and through the loop around your neck.
6. And bring A down through the knot and tighten it.
7. Draw the knot up tightly around your neck. The tip of A should tough your belt buckle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Personally I use the the "The Four-In-Hand Knot". I am rather tall and skinny. If I use a half or full windsor I end up with a short tie.

The Shelby is nice, but again, I end up with the tie tips WAY above my belly button.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Read below.
[):)]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]
LordTrader:

That "Shelby" knot is my secret Class A uniform knot - how dare you release it to the world!! [:)]

It is about the only knot that will give you a nice, uniform, symmetric knot that is not too big when using the cheapo Army nylon ties.

I've never been able to get a good knot with a four-in-hand, but a half-windsor works OK on my cheaper Korean made ties.

Know if only I could find a place around here to buy a real bowtie - I've always wanted a real bowtie (MY GOD PEOPLE - IF YOU ARE GOING TO WEAR A TUS WITH A TURNED UP COLLAR, AT LEAST USE A REAL BOW TIE SO THE ADJUSTING STRAP DOEN'T STARE AT ME!!)

I think I'm OK now, the doctor gave me my happy pills.

Adam
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top