Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/11/2002 8:59:59 AM EDT
Snake kills owner [url]http://insidedenver.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_981062,00.html[/url] AURORA -- A 10-foot, 80-pound Burmese python wrapped itself around the neck of its owner Sunday so tightly he couldn't breathe, police said. The 43-year-old man apparently died of asphyxiation, said Medical Center of Aurora spokeswoman Bev Husted-Petry. Friends and neighbors identified him as Rick Barber. It took seven firefighters and two police officers to uncoil the snake. The snake, named Monty, was taken to Aurora Animal Control. Officials will decide what to do with him today. "He was handling him around his neck like he usually does and Monty got aggressive with him and wrapped himself around Rick's neck," said Kimberly Brown, who lived in the home with Barber and her cousin. The incident started about 2:30 p.m. in the 1300 block of South Biscay Street when one of the two women living with Barber saw the snake wrapped tightly around his chest and neck and called 911. "Dispatchers were trying to give directions on how to remove the snake but without any luck," said Aurora fire Lt. Dave Varnum. When police arrived, two officers wedged their batons under the folds of the snake in an attempt to loosen him enough to allow Barber to breathe, Varnum said. A fire engine arrived a few minutes later and seven firefighters, with the help of the police officers, managed to unwrap the snake. Officials believe the snake was coiled around Barber for 10 to 15 minutes. "The more the man struggled the more the snake constricted," Varnum said. "But after we removed it, it wasn't aggressive at all." One of the firefighters managed to wrestle the snake back into his cage, he said. Jay Larson, 45, Barber's neighbor and friend, said he heard an ambulance and ran outside in time to see Barber being carried from his house on a stretcher. Larson was shocked to hear the snake killed his friend. "It was very tame and friendly," he said. "It used to curl up on the floor and watch football with us. This is all pretty hard to believe." Friends and neighbors described Barber as a big man with a big heart. "He's a very good man and it's sad that we lost him the way we did," Brown said. The last time a person was killed by a python in Colorado was in 1993. Derek Romero, 15, was found bleeding and unconscious on a bedroom floor with the family's 11 1/2-foot pet Burmese python, Sally, coiled next to him. The snake had been in the house for eight years and had no history of attacking people. The family theorized that Romero had forgotten to wash his hands after playing with a pet rabbit, something that could have confused the snake. Snakes smell food through their tongues and mouth and if a person has just touched another pet, like a rabbit, the snake can attack, said Kipp Quade, who works at Pro Exotics Reptiles in Littleton. "If you smell like food to a snake, you are food to a snake," he said. Pro Exotics doesn't sell Burmese pythons because they grow too long for people to keep as pets, topping out at 14 feet and 200 pounds. It is illegal to possess a snake longer than 10 feet in Colorado and longer than 6 feet in Aurora, Varnum said. "That makes them a really good pet not to buy here in Denver," said Jeff Baier, a reptile expert at The Denver Zoo. "You don't get to have them for very long and stay legal."
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:07:23 AM EDT
chop off the head and just a small portion of the tail...(about 1/4 of an inch off the tail). make a pocket between the skin and the meat where the head used to be. insert your knife and slit the snake open lengthwise. separate the meat from the skin. put your favorite spices on the skin and leave it out to dry for a couple of days. chop the snake up into little sections...little bits like sushi. season with jack's inferno sauce and let marinade in the fridge for 6hrs - 2days depending on the toughness of the meat. fry or bake the marinated meat. enjoy!!! you can also serve this piping hot from the oven with equally hot banku and hotter shito...u might bite your tongue for this is the tastiest way to serve your snake meat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:14:48 AM EDT
"Bake or Fry"? Damn, what a waste! After skinning it, slice it across the body into "steaks" and run skewers through the edges.. Marinate these in Teriyaki, and a LOT of Sake for a day, then toss em on the grill, or habachi.Don't use mesquite, just good charcoal.. When it's just browned, pop em onto a plate, and serve with sushi rice. Tell em it's "A rare oriental land trout" rather than snake.. *Shrugs* At least rattlesnake tastes good this way.. Meplat-
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:24:09 AM EDT
Having owned a Burmese python of similar size, all I can add is this guy broke a very major rule, which is: NEVER SMELL LIKE SNAKE FOOD. He had been handling his pet bunny, (pythons of this size are usually fed dead bunnies,) and not only had the scent on his hands, but probably on his throat as well, ("nice bunny, hug hug"). I do wonder why neither the PD nor the EMS workers thought to *cut* the snake to get it loose, but instead tried to pry it off him. Snake was just acting like, well, a snake. No reason to have it killed now. They really aren't smart enough to be vicious, just pure instinct. For the record, any snake longer than 8 feet should only be handled by at least 2 experienced snake handlers at a time. Never alone, or with folks around that don't know how to get them to release fast. Heck, I danced with mine at Renaissance Fairs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:36:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hannah_Reitsch: Having owned a Burmese python of similar size, all I can add is this guy broke a very major rule, which is: NEVER SMELL LIKE SNAKE FOOD.
View Quote
That was the kid in the story.
Heck, I danced with mine at Renaissance Fairs.
View Quote
You go girl.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:39:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hannah_Reitsch: I do wonder why neither the PD nor the EMS workers thought to *cut* the snake to get it loose, but instead tried to pry it off him.
View Quote
That was my first thought also. Wonder why Kimberly didn't grab her trusty cuchillo and start hacking...?!? PS---The cooking was just "tongue in cheek".
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:28:17 AM EDT
I prefer a flame thrower.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:19:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Noname: The snake, named Monty....
View Quote
On top of being careless, the owner is also guilty of being lame.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 12:02:28 PM EDT
I suppose it's not unreasonable to state that the hapless owner got a full monty.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 12:55:31 PM EDT
Take the snake to Boulder and turn it loose. Get rid of them dumb prairie dogloving weirdos. [beer]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 1:48:08 PM EDT
More recipes! Also, how long is snake meat good for, assuming it is frozen fresh and whole? I've been trying to figure a better way to cook themm than just scorching it on the grill.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 2:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2002 2:08:33 PM EDT by CockedandLocked]
Top Top