Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2002 12:00:47 PM EDT
These totally compromised the integrity of the Olympics by adding such sports as Snowboarding half pipe.  I can't believe this shit is an Olympic event.  Somebody is going to "Mactwist" their way to Olympic gold......  What the hell is this world coming too?  Is this the X games or the Olympics?  Are they going to add a rollerblading street event to the summer games?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
These totally compromised the integrity of the Olympics by adding such sports as Snowboarding half pipe.  I can't believe this shit is an Olympic event.  Somebody is going to "Mactwist" their way to Olympic gold......  What the hell is this would coming too?  Is this the X games or the Olympics?  Are they going to add a rollerblading street event to the summer games?
View Quote

Well, if this is the case, then may I suggest adding billiards, darts, and poker to the Summer Games. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Only you are the joke. [;)]
The Olympics is a sporting event.  Snowboarding today is very popular.  Why not compete with the best in the world and have it in the Olympics.

Guess you don't like change much.  Maybe the Summer Olympics should only have only running and track and field events.  Did they have swimming in the first Olympics?  Bicycles? etc.

Same with the Winter.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Change is fine.  But come on.... Snowboarding half pipe?  Up and down, up and down, up and snip, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and switch stance, up and down....  

At least in Curling it's funny to watch the people run down the lane with the brooms.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
The Media coverage is a joke!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Media coverage is a joke!
View Quote

Hahahahahaha  Well, that's a given!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Olympics is a sporting event.  Snowboarding today is very popular.  Why not compete with the best in the world and have it in the Olympics.

Guess you don't like change much.  Maybe the Summer Olympics should only have only running and track and field events.  Did they have swimming in the first Olympics?  Bicycles? etc.

View Quote

When snowboarding has been around for 100 years, then maybe it deserves a place in the Olympics.  It may be fun, but it is just a fad.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]

The Olympics are a joke for more than just the "sports" that are included.  I don't know how those pricks have the audacity to tell our team they can't carry the WTC flag when we foot the lions share of the bill every year for the Olympics.  Not to mention the fact that it is being held in the US this year with the US providing all the beefed up security, etc.

I don't know how the assholes on the IOC can try and tell us it is a matter of principle.  Those people have no principles.  They are so corrupt. After all, Salt Lake City won the Olympics by bribing the IOC.  

I won't be watching this year, that's for sure, and maybe not in the future too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
HELL.  They already have figure skating. . .they might as well bend over backwards and include every other tom dick and harry.  I ain't saying that figure skating is easy, laughable, or even NOT-SERIOUS.  But let's be HONEST.  Figure skating is NOT a sport.  It's an artistic ACTIVITY more given for displays.  PHAGH.

sport   Pronunciation Key  (spôrt, sprt)
n.

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
A particular form of this activity.
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
There are many folks out there that don't believe shooting should be in the olympics.

Heck, as I see, any sport with a large enough international following should be in the Games. If the "fad" diminishes, so to the sport - big deal. Olympics sports have changed much since the first modern olympics. Shooting events more than most.

This board is starting to sound like the boards that I left to start hanging out here - a bunch of pointless whining about everything.

Adam
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't kid yourself, Utah has tried to get the Olympics for a long time, they finally learned what you have to do to get them. If you think Salt Lake is the first to offer "gifts" to the IOC to get the opportunity to host the Olympics then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you should go home to your Disneyland world and turn off the TV!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:31:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Hows about shooting iceballs at 3,000 meters with a 50?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:36:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When snowboarding has been around for 100 years, then maybe it deserves a place in the Olympics.  It may be fun, but it is just a fad.  
View Quote

Uhh, the first 'modern' Olympics was in 1896.  Get a clue.  According to your logic, baseball, basketball, etc  shouldn't have been an olympic sport until after people have been playing it for over 100 years.  Once again, get a clue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:37:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Before you knock snowboarding, watch the Snowboarding giant slalom.  That's an event.

I just don't like winter sports that need "judges".
The "judge" should be a stop-watch, a tape measure, or a scale.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#14]
it my be a new event but wouldn't you know it that an american women won the gold in the halfpipe. That is the first gold of the olympics for the usa
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I won't be watching this year, that's for sure, and maybe not in the future too.
View Quote

I don't disagree with what you said, but try and make an exception for the biathlon.  This is a cross-country skiing + shooting event, very popular in Europe and now gaining a toehold in the US.  The athletes have to ski 10 or 20 km, then with heart pounding and muscles hurting, shoot at tiny 11 cm targets at 50 meters.  Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The Olympics are a joke for more than just the "sports" that are included. I don't know how those pricks have the audacity to tell our team they can't carry the WTC flag when we foot the lions share of the bill every year for the Olympics. Not to mention the fact that it is being held in the US this year with the US providing all the beefed up security, etc.
View Quote

Are you saying that the US pays most of the bill even when the Olympics are held in another country?  I find that hard to believe.  I would expect the host country, the TV networks (who buy the broadcast rights) and the corporate sponsors to pay most of the expenses.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:55:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree Olympics are a joke.  DPMS all the way!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:32:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't really care for the Snow Board Half Pipe competition that I watched last night.  It was kind of boring.  

I usually like watching the ski jumpers, but would have liked it more if they went on distnace only, with no "style points".  Strap on yer skis, go down the ramp and see who goes the farthest.  Keep it simple!

The Olympics REALLY started to suck when we allowed professional athletes to play.  The "Dream Team" hype sickened me.  What always made me proud was that we sent amateurs to compete, and win, against Soviet bloc "professionals".  When we started sending pros, I stopped watching a lot of the games, both summer and winter.  It's just not the same.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#19]
You obviously have never been on a snowboard... The coverage of the olympics sucks but the olypics are ok by my book. But different strokes for different folks..

Ropes
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Good events:

Downhill
GS
Skeleton
Luge
Snowboarding GS
Hockey
Biathalon
Ski Jump (I agree, why the style judge??)
Speedskating

Best summer event:

The Modern Pentathelon {Horseback riding, swimming, running, fencing and pistol shooting}
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#21]
What's wrong with having pro athletes at the Olympics?  They've never been able to do a good job of defining who is and isn't an "amateur" anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I hate [puke]figure skating.
[rolleyes]Men in tights dancing on skates and then they get [shock]flowers when they're done.
I could never do it but I would look "Damn Good" in my tiger stripe tights.[^]

[USA]

[:)>]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I agree Olympics are a joke.  DPMS all the way!
View Quote

I was wondering when this would show up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#24]
What does DPMS, the rifle maker, have to do with the Olympics?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#25]
The olympics needs to put MOUNTAIN CLIMBING on the Winter Games. ASSAULT OF K2 and Everest. USA RUSSIA, Porters everything. That will be the most watched event in history.

Ben
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:32:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

So [b]7[/b], what do you think the criteria ought to be for an activity to be included as an "Olympic" athletic sport?  What about adding these competitions:

Juggling
Pinochle
Scrabble
Arm-wrestling
Bull-riding
NASCAR
Oil painting
Bass fishing
Softball
Yo' Rappin'
Chili cooking
Underhand chopping
9-ball

These are all "very popular" in their own circles.  Should these be Olympic events too?

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm  hoping they put Bass Fishing in the summer games!  I know when I'm sitting in the boat, beer in one hand, cigar in the other, that I, too, could be a world class athlete!  After all, fishin' is a sport too!

[IMG]http://www.gopfun.com/images/superw.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Women's softball is already an Olympic event.

[url]http://www.usasoftball.com/Women/2000%20Olympic%20Games/2000Olympicschedule.html[/url]

Can we add web trolling?  I'm ready to go for the gold.
[:K]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So [b]7[/b], what do you think the criteria ought to be for an activity to be included as an "Olympic" athletic sport?  What about adding these competitions:

Juggling
Pinochle
Scrabble
Arm-wrestling
Bull-riding
NASCAR
Oil painting
Bass fishing
Softball
Yo' Rappin'
Chili cooking
Underhand chopping
9-ball

These are all "very popular" in their own circles.  Should these be Olympic events too?

View Quote

I'm not sure what the criteria should be.  Maybe worldwide popularity?  I'm not sure, but how often have you played curling?  I'm pretty sure you have done something in your list more often than curling.  Same for about 90% of the Earth's population.  

I just know for a fact that snowbording is extremely popular worldwide and is a good sport to watch.  Maybe that make snowbording a good olympic sport.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm in training to go for a Gold in Web-Surfing.

Now there's a sport we can all get behind.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#31]
first of all, snowboarding is hardly a fad! infact, it will probably replace skiing as a dominant sport within our lifetimes.

secondly, the halfpipe comp is MUCH harder than it looks, just get on a board and try holding your own on the bunny hill, you'll see. that "going up/coming down" that you complain about is impossible for all but the most seasoned riders, the strength and balance required alone make it a worthy event.

and why should any ski event be in the olympics, and no snowboard events?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#32]
There were a couple here that I agree with... that Olympic events should be ones that can be measured, or show endurance and strength.  I believe they added synchronized swimming recently... c'mon... give a break.  I know judging is needed for some events like gymnastics, etc., but some of these are purely artistic, which is only a matter of one's opinion.  There is nothing to measure against and where exactly is the competition?  However, it's not just the events themselves, but the media and the advertising.  It's just too much sometimes.

On the other hand, why not pit countries against each other like the original 'Rollerball' movie.  Basically all you need to do is survive.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Video Games should be an event.  It could be in both summer and winter.  

Interview with Jimmy 15yo competitor:
"It is good to win this gold medal.  It has been a lot of sacrifice, and training.  Most nights I would miss doing my homework.  I would come home from school everyday and head right to my Sega.  Then I would do Nintendo and X-box until time for bed."

"Last year I had an injury.  I got a blister on my thumb.  I would like to dedicate this Gold to my coach, Tommy from down the street who  really helped me out.  He figured out the problem.  Grease from Cheesy Poofs was making the controller slippery.  I am proud to bring this win to America."
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Want to talk about worldwide popularity? What about NASCAR or Indy or BMX-biking?  What about skateboarding or hydroplane racing or hackeysack?

The main resistance (IMO) against snowboarding is not that it doesn't require skill or ability (it most certainly does!) but rather the "type of crowd" it attracts.

Maybe it's stereotyping but snowboarding (and skateboarding and BMX too) have a certain large "mook" following - you know, the "slouching-baggypants-underachieving-adolescent-mallrat" following that forms it's stereotypical image.  

Resisting the inclusion of snowboarding and other "newly-popular sports" is probably just a reaction to the "mookiness" of many of its participants.

my $0.03
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Worldwide, more than 70% of new Ski Resort visitors are snowboarders.
At first, there was the initial Skiers' snottiness, where some mountains didn't even allow snowboarding. That's over.
Economic realities changed their minds.

I skied for years.  Raced, too.
Now I snowboard.
It's better, faster, cleaner carved turns.

Those who don't like the halfpipe, wait.
Watch the GS.  It's a race, and it's more exciting to watch than the skiing.
You'll see.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
first of all, snowboarding is hardly a fad! infact, it will probably replace skiing as a dominant sport within our lifetimes.
View Quote

I don't think cross country snowboarding would work very well... [:)]

View Quote
secondly, the halfpipe comp is MUCH harder than it looks, just get on a board and try holding your own on the bunny hill, you'll see. that "going up/coming down" that you complain about is impossible for all but the most seasoned riders, the strength and balance required alone make it a worthy event.
View Quote

As someone who played with BMX bikes on half-pipes as a kid (with alot of friends who were into the skating side of things,) I agree with you about "it's harder than it looks."  That doesn't mean it belongs in the Olympics.  Do we have rollerblade and skateboarding halfpipes in the summer games?

As someone else said, if you can add these things, why not stock car racing?

OTOH, adding new events to pre-existing Olympic sports is fine--anyone else out there want to see IPSC/IDPA type shooting events in the summer games?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Olympic Arms Pretty Crappy Rifles (PCR's) are also a joke![:K]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Calvinball would be the best Olympic sport!  No rules!  Just right!

I think that the Ice Skaters should have to go out there and compete man to man.  Blood, Blades and Bruises.  That would make ice skating worth watching.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top