Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/9/2002 6:28:17 PM EDT
this from www.isra.org so I had to send this to the Mayor's feedback site: I just had to get it out of my system...not sure if it belongs here.... I feel that the proposed Gun Ban is excessive. I am a law-abiding resident of one of the villages listed in Daley's proposed Gun Ban and Grab. As a collector I have a lot of money put into my collection. I own a FOID card and follow all rules regarding owning and trasporting my guns. Registration is fine on paper, but I doubt that it would stop the criminals from getting their guns. If Mayor Daley really wanted to do something about "guns", maybe he should spend money on enforcing existing gun laws and keeping the guns out of the criminals hands in the first place. I can only speculate that most guns used in a violent act were not purchased at a "gun store/FFL holder" by a FOID card owner. Registration would not have stopped the crime. More specific, the "military style rifle" which is very popular with sport shooters are highly unlikely to be used in crime. Let us look at four things: 1 The shooting in a PA school, where a "police officer" brought a handgun to "show and tell." This is not something to be taken lightly....GUNS DO NOT BELONG IN SCHOOL. As you can see, even police officers are not to be trusted with a firearm. 2 The recent shooting at St. Rita H.S. in Chicago, doubtful that the registration of firearms or banning them would have stopped this tragedy. 3 The shooting at a West Virginia law school...the media never reported that the gunman was stopped by two students that went to their vehicles to get their own guns. 4 The tragic "Los Angeles" Bank Robbery, where the Police felt out-gunned. Obvioulsy these robbers were in possession of illegal weapons (I don't remember the last time I could legally own or purchase a full automatic weapon). Remember that the police went to the local gun store to "borrow" military style rifles to end the violence and because of that, most agencies are including these firearms to their officers. I am not against gun laws, I think that it's time we enforce the ones we have and not make new ones up that do not solve the problem in the first place. If a criminal wants a gun, the criminal will get a gun...regardless of legislation.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:39:25 PM EDT
I'm with you but I'd take issue with point #1. I'm told that terrorist attacks against Isreali schools only stopped when teachers armed themselves. And the virginia shooting isn't the first case of a gun being used to stop an attack at a school. I recall a story of a principal or other school staff member who kept a gun in his car out of the legal zone and one day had to run to retrieve it to stop an attack which he did successfuly. I would say instead, the best solution to this is training and education. That is how everyone will be the safest, (and less ignorant and fearful) even though now you are already more likely to be struck by lightning than shot at school. As far as that police shooting, a simple rule should apply. Keep it holstered unless you need it. Common sense and responsibilty will prevail every time. Can some of the older members tell us about their high school rifle teams? It wasn't always a problem to have a gun at school, and it isn't the guns that changed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:37:15 AM EDT
Well, if you don't like Daley's plan, be glad you don't live in Maryland Read this: [url]http://www.democraticunderground.com/cgi-bin/duforum/duboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=539&forum=DCForumID32[/url], specifically posts #6 and #8. I AM against gun laws - this far, no further - until we get a Supreme Court decision that "incorporates" the Second Amendment against infringement by the States under the protection of the 14th Amendment. That would prevent Daley and AG Curran from doing what they're doing, and give us some hope of ensuring that only very narrowly written [i]useful[/i] gun laws could be passed. Until then, HELL NO -- NO MORE GUN LAWS!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:35:28 AM EDT
Registration [b][size=5]ALWAYS[/size=5][/b] leads to confiscation.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:54:59 AM EDT
Mayor Daley wants everyone to read this book. Elie Wiesel's "Night". An analysis of this book is located here: http://www.fpp.co.uk/Auschwitz/Wiesel/Reis1.html
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:31:28 AM EDT
GUNS DO NOT BELONG IN SCHOOL.
View Quote
R850R, I don't understand your logic here. A poorly trained person pointed a loaded gun at a child with her finger on the trigger. That's dangerous anywhere at anytime. It didn't matter where it occurred. Using your half-baked logic, we need to ban guns in shopping malls. There's a lot of kids there. Don't forget restaurants. Lot's of parents have kids with them. The problem wasn't the location or the gun. It was the poor judgment (and probably lack of training) of the person. Please, don't blame an inanimate object (either the gun or the building) for what a person does.z
Top Top