Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2002 8:50:28 AM EDT
[url]http://www.dirtcheapdrives.com/dataport/[/url]

Anybody tried this out? If it works good, it would be great as a security pre-caution if you ever got your computer stolen. Wouldn't have to go through the hassle of gathering all your info again etc.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It only works as a security measure (1) for desktop systems (2) if you take the drives out and lock them up in a safe whenever not using them.

I've seen this sort of thing used when someone wants to have multiple operating systems on separate drives.  Works well for that.  For security, it'd probably work reasonably well as long as you were consistent in locking the drives up.  You might be better off with an encryption package (e.g., ScramDisk) though, since that would protect you even if you forgot, or if someone did a takeover robbery.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally I am looking for a HD based MP3 player that doubles as a portable hard drive (jukebox). Think about it, hours and hours of music and store personal files or moving progies to friends computer. They are either USB based or moving to firewire.

There are several out there, but they are still working out the bugs on the MP3 side. Right now I am waiting for the SonicBlue RIOriot to come out and get reviewed.

The current selection on the market that doubles has data storage:
Archos
NEO
Apple
SonicBlue

I like the SonicBlue because it is advertised with an FM tuner, but I am not sure if it is SDMI complient (I hope not).
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a similiar setup on my system here at home, I have 2 removable HDD bays.  As others stated, I can swap between different OS's.  The main reason I have this is to be able to shut down my system, pull the HDD out and take it with me when I go visit relatives that have the same type drive bays.  We use it to swap .MP3 files, video's, pictures, etc..  They work great, have built in cooling fans, make it real easy to replace your HDD if it crashes, looks good, plus when I get my 900lb gun safe, I'll put the HDD (or a copy) in there for safe keeping when I leave.  I'd loose the system, but not my data.  I am also looking into getting an external USB HDD for moving data around between many different type coputers (freinds, work, home, relatives).  I did order one for work that was a 100Gig 7200rpm USB HDD for $279.00, I thought that was a cheap setup for use with disaster recovery.  I just plug the HDD into the Win2000/ME/98SE/XP OS computers at work, load up all their data and go to the next one.  The take the HDD home with me for safe keeping.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
That did help. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought an external HDD "case" that has a built-in power supply and USB 2.0 interface.  Drop-in any IDE hard drive, CD-ROM or DVD drive and get instant removable storage.  It's $99 and you supply the drive.

USB 2.0 rocks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top