Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/9/2002 2:35:34 AM EDT
Well, my unemployment is running out in two weeks and I ain't got no job yet. So I found a good use for my last two checks: I ordered a Springfield "Loaded" Parkerized PX9109L today. $607 for everything. Did I do okay? BTW, thank you, The State of California, for aiding in my quest to purchase "one gun a month". If they renew my unemployment, I'm buying a Wilson Combat 1911 and another M1A.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:59:13 AM EDT
Don't you mean "Thank you, tax paying citizens of California...."?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:10:33 AM EDT
Yep, and that includes myself as this is the first time I've been out of work in almost 20 years (and I worked the entire time I was in college). So I consider it partial payment with interest for what this tax happy state owes me. :)
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:18:23 AM EDT
Well, in that case, I suppose you get a pass!!! It's the people that haven't "paid in" and just receive that PISS ME OFF!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:55:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2002 4:55:23 AM EDT by mattja]
You must be thinking welfare. I think you have to have had a job for a certain amount of time before you can file an umemployment claim. And it's treated as an insurance claim, at least in this state. It's short-lived too; only 6 months at $230 a week. That's just party money for most of the people I know. For others, it's gun money. he he
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:03:31 AM EDT
$230 a week????? In Kalifornia??? Damn, that just barely even helps!! Pa., which has a much lower cost of living, is well over $300 a week if I'm not mistaken. Last time I collected quite a few years ago in Maryland, it was $250. Not trying to belittle the fact that it DOES help, just that I figured in an expensive state like Ca., the amount would be higher. BTW, good luck in the job search mattja and all the others who are in your situation. I barely missed the axe myself in January. Hopefully things are getting ready to turn around with the economy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:04:26 PM EDT
My uemployment runs out in 4 weeks too. Every job interview I have gone to ends with the guy telling me something like: "I wouldn't even hire you to change the toilet paper in the bathrooms. Now get the hell out of my office!"
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:19:53 PM EDT
the max in NC is 390ish............when I took this last job I took a cut in pay....thats bad
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:36:49 PM EDT
My checks run out in 5 weeks. First time out of work in 14 years.(French company bought us and layed off 180 people,friggin frogs) $402.00 a week. It was a nice vacation, I guess. Lots of time at the range.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:41:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 1:53:07 PM EDT
I hear all of you guys. I see the writing on the wall where I'm at. I figure in about a month or two I'll be ousted also. From what I can see, jobs are far and few between. It's tough out there and not getting any better. To find a decent job that pays well is rare nowadays.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 1:53:09 PM EDT
Yep, $230 a week is a joke. And that was the maximum benefit when I filed my claim in July. It doesn't make any difference if you make $60k a year or $250k a year, the maximum is $230 as week. Gov. Davis said he was going to raise it to $330 a week on Jan 1st of this year. I don't know if he did it or not, but it doesn't make any difference in my case because it applies only to claims filed after Jan. 4th or 5th. If they accept my refiling, I may get the increased rate, but it's likely they will simply renew my previous claim, so I'll still only get $230 a week. One would think that in this state, a state with both sales and income taxes and many additional hidden taxes and fee, that they would take better care of their workers. But they cannot because they need the money to offer health care and college to illegal aliens.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:13:56 PM EDT
I got laid off 7 days after buying my first home! I have 2 weeks left on my unemployment. Hope the govt passes the unemployment extension soon.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:19:16 PM EDT
Speaking of CA. I was watching the movie SIDEOUT, volleyball movie made in early 90's, and I am really homesick. Man I miss the beach. Specially Huntington and Newport.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:30:31 PM EDT
Cali just raised their's, but only if you file a new claim, after Jan 1, 02. Washington's the highest, I heard in the neighborhood of $450, Per Week. Here in UT, $365 per week is the max. Unemployment insurance is paid by the employer, and the amount of insurance premium they pay is dependent on how many people file a claim from that particular business. All the premiums the employers pay go into a fund and that's the fund that pays the claimant (guy who got laid off). So, the taxpayers aren't paying for it, but some say we taxpayers pay in the higher prices of items that companies have to charge due to the gov charging them for this insurance.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:40:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By smokejumper: Cali just raised their's, but only if you file a new claim, after Jan 1, 02. Washington's the highest, I heard in the neighborhood of $450, Per Week. Here in UT, $365 per week is the max. Unemployment insurance is paid by the employer, and the amount of insurance premium they pay is dependent on how many people file a claim from that particular business. All the premiums the employers pay go into a fund and that's the fund that pays the claimant (guy who got laid off). So, the taxpayers aren't paying for it, but some say we taxpayers pay in the higher prices of items that companies have to charge due to the gov charging them for this insurance.
View Quote
I'll be damned! All these years the state was taking money from my check for insurance (in addition to state income taxes) and I thought it was for unemployment. It must have been for state disability. But better still! Perhaps my ex-employer will think twice about moving our operation to France to have all the work done by Russian immigrant engineers earning $7.50/hour. And that figure is correct, the French told me that a few months before they booted our entire team. So, screw 'em. They can go under for all I care.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:26:53 AM EDT
mattja, You've been out of work since July? What field, aerospace?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:33:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: My uemployment runs out in 4 weeks too. Every job interview I have gone to ends with the guy telling me something like: "I wouldn't even hire you to change the toilet paper in the bathrooms. Now get the hell out of my office!"
View Quote
Are you being discriminated against... or are your interviewing skills lacking? *LOL*
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:56:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By shooter69:
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: My uemployment runs out in 4 weeks too. Every job interview I have gone to ends with the guy telling me something like: "I wouldn't even hire you to change the toilet paper in the bathrooms. Now get the hell out of my office!"
View Quote
Are you being discriminated against... or are your interviewing skills lacking? *LOL*
View Quote
He's gotta buy a woody supressor - too many females in HR.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:24:43 AM EDT
I have been thinking of opening one of those cybercafes since there aren't any in my area. I hear you can make pretty good money with one of those joints when charging the standard $2 an hour per computer. Is this a good idea?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:58:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: I have been thinking of opening one of those cybercafes since there aren't any in my area. I hear you can make pretty good money with one of those joints when charging the standard $2 an hour per computer. Is this a good idea?
View Quote
Be sure to install a fountain or recirculating waterfall. Double benefit: A) Loose change to harvest at closing B) Water sound keeps them going to the restroom to make room for more Java. No peepholes, now!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:59:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: I have been thinking of opening one of those cybercafes since there aren't any in my area. I hear you can make pretty good money with one of those joints when charging the standard $2 an hour per computer. Is this a good idea?
View Quote
Why don't you just fire up that Mr. Coffee and put an open sign on your door. You could call it "Coffee and Computers - that's all". Your not online that much anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:11:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:57:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DScott: mattja, You've been out of work since July? What field, aerospace?
View Quote
I was working as a project lead software engineer for a large French company involved in logistics. They purchased my original company, a small company of about 30 employees, and in the course of 3 years ruined it. I worked in aerospace in the early 80's (GD) and have a secret security clearance. I need a job! :)
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:35:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mattja: Yep, $230 a week is a joke. And that was the maximum benefit when I filed my claim in July. It doesn't make any difference if you make $60k a year or $250k a year, the maximum is $230 as week. Gov. Davis said he was going to raise it to $330 a week on Jan 1st of this year. I don't know if he did it or not, but it doesn't make any difference in my case because it applies only to claims filed after Jan. 4th or 5th. If they accept my refiling, I may get the increased rate, but it's likely they will simply renew my previous claim, so I'll still only get $230 a week. One would think that in this state, a state with both sales and income taxes and many additional hidden taxes and fee, that they would take better care of their workers. But they cannot because they need the money to offer health care and college to illegal aliens.
View Quote
Not trying to offend anyone, but a few weeks ago the local NYTimes owned paper ran a story about a sudden jump in unemployment filings. It seems that some people were waiting two or three months till January to file for unemployment because they'd get higher benefits. The article described how they took lower paying jobs jobs to get by until they could file. Am I the only one who sees a certian irony in this?
Top Top