Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2002 8:57:08 AM EDT
Safety glasses are one of those things that are kinda in the way and inconvenient, but I'll ALWAYS wear them when doing certain tasks, from this day forward.

It is my practice to completely disassemble and clean up any used gun I buy. In 1995, I bought a Remington 541-T and was cleaning it up the night I took it home. I disassembled the trigger mechanism and got it squeaky clean, and was in the process of putting it back together. I made a little mistake and moved the safety lever a little too far, and the detent plunger popped out. It hit me square in the left eye, and I mean hard!

I said a few bad words and hopped around a while. It smarted a day or two, then just bugged me a little for several years. The eye would burn when I first woke up in the mornings. It was "just the way it was".

Last Friday I went through the same thing, except it got more and more painful as the morning wore on. Before noon, I was unable to keep my eyes open and was in extreme pain. It felt like I had a sliver of glass in my eye that was cutting it every time I blinked. To say I was in agony would be putting it mildly!

Afetr nearly a week of treatment and five visits to an opthamologist, things are improving but I'm still not out of the woods. The condition I have is called recurrent (sp??) errosion, and could possibly give me problems the rest of my life. I sure hope not, and I am doing everything the doctors are telling me to get this to heal, once and for all.

Don't think something like this can't happen to you, because it can! Wear your safety glasses any time your working on a part of a gun that you are unfamiliar with, and always if there is a spring involved. And buy GOOD safety glasses, because if they're crappy, you won't wear them.

It CAN happen to you!
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]
AHHHHH WISDOM.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top