Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2002 5:17:00 AM EDT
This is going to sound stupid.I was playing Delta force 2 for a few days.I know its a game but it made me think. I cam to realize that in most of the situations that came up full auto was a waste of ammo and semi single or double taps were just as effective. I have heard the Israleis employ semi mostly and use full auto only in special circumstances.

Is full auto mostly a waste of ammo????

Thanks Jim
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:24:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I think full auto would be quite handy in taking down an approaching hostile crowd.  Other than an extreme situation I think semi does the job just fine.  Full auto is also handy when used on the move as you don't have time to carefully pick shots.  Full auto lets you spray covering fire until you reach a safer position.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
FPF: Final Protective Fire.

When your position is being overrun, there is no on call fire or the enemy is inside your on call fire, break out the bullet hose.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#4]
When do you [b]need[/b] full-auto fire?

You will [b]know[/b] when full-auto fire is necessary the very moment that you need it!

It will become very apparent!

Eric The(MakeSense?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
When you want your face to look like this: [:D]

Few things beat a M16 with a smoking barrel and an empty Beta-C. Well, except for maybe a Belt Fed (but I wouldn't know about that)...
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#6]
In an ambush, a high volume of return fire is necessary.

In an assault of a position, to lay a heavy suppressive fire to keep heads down while you move up.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]
When you are in an Alamo situation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Right after everyone sets up some prime targets close together.  You can easily blast off 30 rounds in seconds while everyone else is trying to work their trigger finger fast and stay on target.  Result, you get the first hits. [:P]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#9]

[b]When you're confronted by a mob of [url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=92175]killer-lawnmowers[/url] [:D][/b]

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#10]
To fight the V.C. - the Varmint Cong....

From the movie Caddyshack -

[i]"To kill you must know your enemy. In this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like the Viet Cong...Varmint Cong..."[/i]

The enemy.....
[img]www.hoghaven.com/pics/groundhog_family.jpg[/img]

Clearing a V.C. hideout....
[img]www.groundhogs.com/images/fullmap.gif[/img]

[:D]

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When do you [b]need[/b] full-auto fire?

You will [b]know[/b] when full-auto fire is necessary the very moment that you need it!

It will become very apparent!

Eric The(MakeSense?)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Another profound statement by Ze Hun! [;)]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Forget the tactical warrior-speak...

If I want full auto, for noise-making purposes, self protection, whatever...I should have it because I want it!!!

Usefulness, efficiency, suitability, and political-correctness aside, this discussion is just one of those that really can turn around and bite us all...especially when we use "funny" references like this:

Or in the case of the "North Hollywood Bank Robbery"........surrounded by cops.[:)]
View Quote

Talk about "giving ammo" to those who would want to restrict them...
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If I want full auto, for noise-making purposes, self protection, whatever...I should have it because I want it!!!

Usefulness, efficiency, suitability, and political-correctness aside, this discussion is just one of those that really can turn around and bite us all...especially when we use "funny" references like this:

Or in the case of the "North Hollywood Bank Robbery"........surrounded by cops.[:)]
View Quote

View Quote

Sorry.....I will retract that statement.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Nothing personal, because I know that we all do tend to "let our guard down" while we're here...we're among friends, right?  

I only intended it as a reminder...some might look at us, the contributors of this board, as a collection of government hating right-wing whackos with firepower and without regard for the law or common sense. I'd guess that among today's 400+ visitors there are gun-grabbers looking for dirt...again, just a reminder. squib
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#16]
No problem.....It was bad taste on my part.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Full Auto mode is really only effective to suppress incoming fire .
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I concur with the concensus-suppressive fire.
cpermd
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Democratic conventions
Anarchist crowds protesting the WTO
race riots
road rage
yapping Aussie shepherd dogs next door
NAMBLA meetings
MM marches
anywhere in Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, N. Korea, etc.
the Kennedey compound
PUSH/Rainbow coalition events
Hare Krishna parades
Renaissance festivals

and on and on and on and on...... [heavy]

The author is only joking and does not advocate violence in any way. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I guess if your position is "over-run" then that would be another application, but we didn't spend a lot of time practicing that.
View Quote

Now THAT'S an optimist! I love it! [:D]  
Sounds like the George S. Patton School of Infantry.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#21]
pin shoots [:D]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Democratic conventions
Anarchist crowds protesting the WTO
race riots
road rage
yapping Aussie shepherd dogs next door
NAMBLA meetings
MM marches
anywhere in Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, N. Korea, etc.
the Kennedey compound
PUSH/Rainbow coalition events
Hare Krishna parades
Renaissance festivals

and on and on and on and on...... [heavy]

The author is only joking and does not advocate violence in any way. [:D]
View Quote

Hey you forgot the Kent State University Campus....
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Honestly, the only time you need full-auto is when there are a lot of people who [b][red]REALLY[/red][/b] don't want you to have it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Well this does bring up a good point. Who was using better tactics, the SAS trained guys in HEAT or the Delta and Rangers in Mog? Granted these are different situations...and only one really happened..but it could be a good way to compare tactics.

Delta and Rangers were trying conserve ammo and were (mostly) aiming and specific targets. The forces opposing were using mostly the shoot-n-hide technique, but the D&R guys were still very effective with semi-auto fire.

The HEAT crew had a shorter escape route but were under fire from an oppisition force that was taking better aim and they were being surrounded while it all happened. The HEAT crew was laying near continuous supressing (?) fire while shooting short bursts.  

Like I said, it is comparing apples to oranges...but I am interested in what you guys think as to who had the more effective use of fire.

[50]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is going to sound stupid.I was playing Delta force 2 for a few days.I know its a game but it made me think. I cam to realize that in most of the situations that came up full auto was a waste of ammo and semi single or double taps were just as effective. I have heard the Israleis employ semi mostly and use full auto only in special circumstances.

Is full auto mostly a waste of ammo????

Thanks Jim
View Quote

Keep in mind Jim that in the Delta Force game you only need to hit the bad guy to kill him. It doesn't matter where you hit him, there is no wounding shots, even a shot to the foot is effective.

In real life it might take more than one to get the job done. Use the SAW M-249 more often. Tons of fun. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top