Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2002 2:13:38 PM EDT
How many years is Jack Daniel's No. 7 age before botteling?
What about Crown Royal?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If Jack Daniel's #7 is the black label stuff it is aged 7 years. I imagine that they would age it for all 7 years in the barrel. I don't think sitting in a bottle counts as aging for spirits.

Makers Mark is better then JD IMHO. And only like $3 more.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it is 7 years. I seem to remember a cooking show or something where they said it was 5; not sure.

Remember "Old Ezra"? 15 years old or something, came in a wooden box, only cost a little more than Jack Black. Damn fine stuff, and I don't even like brown liquor! Wish I could find some. Jack Black is way overrated redneck monkey oil.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Crown Royal is aged 6 years.  BTW..Crown Royal is whisky and Jack Daniels is whiskey.(notice the e)  Don't know for sure the age of Jack, my book doesn't have that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm positve that black jack is 7 years and green jack is 4 years. However going back to EagleArmsHBAR's original question I do not know if it spends those 7 years in the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Gentleman Jack is the way to go.  So smooth it's like ice tea.  Dangerous!
[whacko]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sipping green jack as I type [whacko]

black jack is five years (approx, the stuff in the top of the wharehouse is aged less, it ripens faster in the heat). green jack and gentleman jack are three years. this according to the grizzled old geezer who gave the tour at the JD distillery.

ditto on the makers mark. its better than gentleman jack. crown royal is blended whiskey, so who knows the age.

("whiskey" is irish and "whisky" is scottish [or vise versa]).
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Jack Daniels is very similar to Bourbon Whisky.

Maker's Mark is Bourbon and, IMO, is better than JD.

Knob Creek is my favorite Bourbon at any price.  Also, I like the fact that there is a machine gun shoot at Knob Creek.

JAW

P.S.  All "Bourbon" is from Kentucky.  JD is from Tennessee.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not what you would call a real creative drinker. As far as hard liquer goes, I'm pretty much loyal to only whiskey. This of course qualifies me as a whiskey expert.

Jack - Black Label....B+
Jack - Gentleman Jack....A-
Jack - Single Barrel....A+

Makers Mark - Red Dripping Wax.... A

Other whiskeys - There are other whiskeys?

For a special occasion, for those of you who drink whiskey, pick up a bottle of Single Barrel Jack. You'll be glad you did. Smooooooooth-N-Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!
[img]www.jdsinglebarrel.com/header.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know about liquor stores in yer areas, but..
I get the [b]Canadian Club 12 Year[/b] whenever I go through duty free into Canada.
[i]Reeeeeeeal[/i] good stuff!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#11]
From [url]www.straightbourbon.com[/url]

Is Jack Daniel's a bourbon?
Jack Daniel's, is not considered a bourbon because it is charcoal-mellowed -- slowly, drop by drop, filtered through sugar-maple charcoal -- prior to aging, which many experts say gives it a different character. The process, called the Lincoln County Process, infuses a sweet and sooty character into the distillate as it removes impurities. But up to and after the charcoal filtering, the Jack Daniel's production is much the same as any other Bourbon. Jack Daniel's and George Dickel are two fine Tennessee Whiskeys though neither can be called bourbon.

Not that anyone said JD was Bourbon, I just found it interesting that there was a distinction.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know how long it's in the barrel but I have been a J D Black fan since 1976.
And I agree, the JD single barrel is Nice!
[:D]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#13]
My son makes whiskey and is trying to get on at Jack Daniels now. It's about 15 miles from here. He says that he understood that Crown Royal is 30 years old and a blend of several whiskeys. Jack #7 is aged 5 years and the barrels are rotated in the warehouses so that they all get the same climate. Used to be able to buy the barrels for $12. Put about 3 gallons of water in it and sit it in the summer sun. Roll it everyday for a few weeks and the results is some high octane water almost as good as the bottled Jack. Barrels are $55 now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Pangea, my in-laws are all down there around Winchester.  Next time I head down there I'll drop you a line and see if we can get together to enjoy some ARs and some good whiskey (but not at the same time, of course).
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How many years is Jack Daniel's No. 7 age before botteling?
What about Crown Royal?
View Quote

Jack is aged 4 to 6 years.  Green label is bottled at 80 proof, black label at 86 proof.

Crown is aged for 6 years.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I know in Scotland, Whisky must have aged for at least 4 years to be legally sold as Whisky.  Is the minimum lower in the US?  I was under the impression that it was 3 years here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Say when, Hoplophile. I don't get to shoot much anymore but I will make time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#18]
BONUS QUESTION FOR THE JACK EXPERTS

Who can tell me why Jack Black is is called "No.7"?   First person with the correct answer wins 12 slightly rusted .223 stripper clips and a like new charger.(shipped postage due [:o)] )
ex-barkeep,
echo6
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Because 6 just wouldn't be enough?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Who can tell me why Jack Black is is called "No.7"?   First person with the correct answer wins 12 slightly rusted .223 stripper clips and a like new charger.(shipped postage due [:o)] )
ex-barkeep,
echo6
View Quote

If you don't know how can you say if some ones answer is right?

Makers is by far one of the best bourbons that you can find any where.  It is also spelled whisky (the only one in the US).  How can you guys drink that blended stuff!
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ex-barkeep,
echo6
View Quote

If you don't know how can you say if some ones answer is right?

View Quote

Ah but kind sir, I [b]do[/b] know the answer and it is very easily proven for anyone who happens to have a bottle on hand.
echo6

(edit to fix quote)
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted: BONUS QUESTION FOR THE JACK EXPERTS

ex-barkeep,
echo6
View Quote

The story that I heard was that the whisky from Vat #7 was the best tasting, so that's the vat they began making all of it in.  When they finally cleaned the vat out at the end of the year, they found a skeleton at the bottom.  Apparently some unfortunate employee drowned in it.

This is disavowed by the distillery as an urban legend, but I know a guy who's cousin's wife's brother's auto mechanic's great-grandad actually saw the skeleton.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Ken, good story but [b]NOT[/b] a correct answer.
next
echo6
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#24]
All that Tennesee crap is sour mash. Bourbon is made with a fresh batch of corn for each one. The sour mash uses some of the last batch to start the next. The only good whiskey is made in Kentucky. Makers Mark is one of the best. Wild Turkey is very good as well. Old Grand dad is great. Hell even Ancient Age is good. Jim Beam is great to consume for effect. So Is Evan Willliams.
[url]http://www.straightbourbon.com/homepage.html[/url]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Considering Jack Daniel's doesn't even know what the old no.7 means I'd be interested to know your story...

[url]http://www.jackdaniels.com/oldno7/label.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Old Grandad.
Old Crow.
Yum.

Jack Daniels.
The alcohol delivery system of choice for chemically-dependent inbred hoopies everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All that Tennesee crap is sour mash. Bourbon is made with a fresh batch of corn for each one. The sour mash uses some of the last batch to start the next. The only good whisky is made in Kentucky. Makers Mark is one of the best. Wild Turkey is very good as well. Old Grand dad is great. Hell even Ancient Age is good. Jim Beam is great to consume for effect. So Is Evan Willliams.
View Quote

Most all bourbon is sour mash including Jim Beam and Maker's Mark.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Most all bourbon is sour mash including Jim Beam and Maker's Mark.
View Quote

That is true, BUT, they are made in Kentucky. Makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Try Jameson's Irish wiskey.  Aged 7 years and triple distilled, the best stuff going, I have a bottle of the reserved 12 years in a 3 different types of barrels.  The smoothest wiskey going.  I think it's time for a drink!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#30]
The only ageing time that counts is in the charred oak barrel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted: Try Jameson's Irish wiskey.  Aged 7 years and triple distilled, the best stuff going, I have a bottle of the reserved 12 years in a 3 different types of barrels.  The smoothest wiskey going.  I think it's time for a drink!!!
View Quote

Gack.  I have a bottle of it and I prefer Bushmill's.  Jameson's tastes like aviation gas.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try Jameson's Irish wiskey.  Aged 7 years and triple distilled, the best stuff going, I have a bottle of the reserved 12 years in a 3 different types of barrels.  The smoothest wiskey going.  I think it's time for a drink!!!
View Quote

Gack.  I have a bottle of it and I prefer Bushmill's.  Jameson's tastes like aviation gas.
View Quote

I prefer Bushmill's over Jameson as well.

But primarily I'm a single malt scotch man, I don't care for the American stuff at all.  Give me some Laphroaig straight up (neat) and I'm happy!
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I prefer Bushmills over Jameson for political reasons : Jameson is made in Northern Ireland.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If it ain't Kentucky straight bourbon it ain't real whiskey IMHO. You can have that blended crap, including scotches and all that stuff from Canada too. I'm a long time Jim Beam man but I like Makers Mark, Wild Turkey, and Rebel Yell too. The small batch bourbons, Knob Creek and Bookers are for special occasions.

View Quote

That is about how I feel too.  Don't realy care for wild turkey though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#36]
[b]A TRUE story (quiet please)[/b]

In the early years of our country, a trapper/explorer came upon a large lake.  Not speaking the language, he attempted to asked some local native americans what the lake's name is.  The native americans, more interested in fire water, but also were unable to speak his language, asked for "Tahoe...Tahoe" the native word for fire water.

[b][blue]Get it, Lake Tahoe is really called Lake Whiskey (or Lake Whisky)[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
[b]A TRUE story (quiet please)[/b]

In the early years of our country, a trapper/explorer came upon a large lake.  Not speaking the language, he attempted to asked some local native americans what the lake's name is.  The native americans, more interested in fire water, but also were unable to speak his language, asked for "Tahoe...Tahoe" the native word for fire water.

[b][blue]Get it, Lake Tahoe is really called Lake Whiskey (or Lake Whisky)[/blue][/b]
View Quote

If this is true then thousands of people are driving Chevy Whiskeys. LOL
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#38]
funny JD fact o the day: the county that Jack Daniels is made in is a DRY county u cant even buy the stuff in the county have to drive over to the next county.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ex-barkeep,
echo6
View Quote
I thought it was because Mr. Daniels submitted several different whiskeys in a whiskey contest or exposition, and the one he marked No. 7 won
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]
No, _Real_ Whisky comes from Scotland [%(]

Whisk[B]e[/B]y is American or Canadian. [:o)]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Jack on ice makes me feel nice.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

ex-barkeep,
echo6
View Quote

The Answer-
Back "In the Day" when Jack was still shipped out by wagons pulled by Mules, Mr.Daniels had a favorite mule...old number 7.
To this day if you open a bottle of Jack Black
and look inside the bottle top you will se a pic of #7 in the plastic. This is the truth, look for yourselves.
echo6
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#44]
As Slacko said, Jack Daniels doesn't even know:

From their website:

1. What is the origin of "Old No. 7"?

No one really knows for sure where the term "Old No. 7" came from. Anyone claiming to know the "real" story behind the famous Jack Daniel's "Old No. 7 Brand" name can just get in line behind all the others! Some folks will tell you it had to do with a lucky roll of the dice. Others will claim it refers to Mr. Jack's seventh try at a mash recipe. There is even one legend about seven lost barrels of whiskey that Mr. Jack wrote "7" on for identification when they were finally found. One tale is apparently as valid as another; the fact is no one knows exactly which one is the truth!

Viper Out
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#45]
yep...they dont know for sure. I do [;)] and now so do you. Look under the cap, see the picture of Old No.7 and decide for yourself.[:D]
echo6
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
funny JD fact o the day: the county that Jack Daniels is made in is a DRY county u cant even buy the stuff in the county have to drive over to the next county.
View Quote

As the tour guides at JD are quick to point out.  The distillery is in a dry county, which means that the _tourists_ have to go into the next county to get a drink.  [}:D]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]
The folks at the distillery said that the black label was aged 4 years. They claim there's no added benefit from longer aging in the barrel, and ‘aging’ in the bottle don't count. The green label is aged for 1 year

10X are u sure Beam is sour mash?

Anyone know how Mr. Jack died?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#48]

"Sometime around 1905, Mr. Jack arrived at work early one morning and tried to open the safe in his office. He couldn't remember the combination and so he kicked it in anger. The blow broke his toe and an infection set in. He eventually died from blood poisoning in 1911."

Edited to add the [url=http://www.jackdaniels.com/oldno7/facts.asp#number7] link.[/url]

I've often felt this way about my internet passwords.

Mike - google is a wonderful thing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The folks at the distillery said that the black label was aged 4 years. They claim there's no added benefit from longer aging in the barrel, and ‘aging’ in the bottle don't count. The green label is aged for 1 year

10X are u sure Beam is sour mash?

View Quote

There are lots of deferent Beams but all that I can think of are sour mashed.  It helps the consistency from one batch to the next.  I think even the Booker Noe and other small batch bourbons are.

echo6
How much JD did you drink before you heard that story?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"Sometime around 1905, Mr. Jack arrived at work early one morning and tried to open the safe in his office. He couldn't remember the combination and so he kicked it in anger. The blow broke his toe and an infection set in. He eventually died from blood poisoning in 1911."

Edited to add the [url=http://www.jackdaniels.com/oldno7/facts.asp#number7] link.[/url]

I've often felt this way about my internet passwords.

Mike - google is a wonderful thing.
View Quote

That safe is still at the distillery; and yes, when the tour guide turns away, you can kick it in the well worn kicking spot, like I did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top