Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2002 8:45:11 AM EDT
I was jogging last night with a friend of mine, and a red cavalier sped past us and they threw something heavy from their car at us.  It landed off of the sidewalk in some bushes, but it sounded very heavy.  It was dark so we couldn't see what it was, and we couldn't get the license plate.  I thought the problem was over, until, after he went into his house I got to the top of the hill he lives on, and the sped by perpendicular to me, I heard them shouting to eachother as they passed, and when I got to the street, they seemed to have turned onto a street that would bring them around behind me, so I sprinted to a path I know of between two houses, and returned home before they could catch up with me.

What would you (realistically) do?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay in condition yellow and get small, just like you did.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a bigger rock..
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Spike strips on the road? MG nest? Call in arty?

....I'm having a reality problem today....
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
no shame at all in running away!
sometimes legs are the only defense...
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
In some states hurling a rock at a person or home is considered use of a Deadly Weapon. So, the question is what do you do when confronted with a Deadly Weapon. The other person has already raised the level to Lethal Force. YOu simply respond with lethal force.

I.E. Pull, your gun

This is exactly what I would do. This is exactly why I am armed to the teeth on Halloween. Becuase, the Methheads running the Meth Lab Down the street throw rocks and bottles at the little kids walking by on halloween. The Police just drive around the block and leave. And it all begins again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Incidents like this are why I always sling a LAWS rocket over my back when I go jogging.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The problem is, they threw the rock as they were speeding by, and I fully recognize that as assault with a deadly weapon, but they were allready past us by the time my brain realized what was going on.  And like I said, I thought they were coming around for another pass, but how exactly would you know, [i]for sure[/i], that the car coming up again was them.  I'd have no problem drawing my firearm (well, in 54 days, when I have one) on them, if I knew it was them.  But there was no way to be certain.  It's just realy frustrating.  I am carrying rocks next time though, that's for sure.

How hard would it be to carry a spike strip around at all times?  You never know when one of those would come in handy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Marksman sling shot.  Very quiet, decent range, and quite accurate.  Also fun for plinking.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have the time, I'd go to the local high school and look for that red car during school hours.

Even if I didn't find it there, I'd actively hunt those little punks, red cars are easy to spot in the nieghborhood.

It would be worth having them do that to me, just so I could catch them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It would be worth having them do that to me, just so I could catch them.
View Quote

Get some, Vincent Vega.

You're an Elvis man, aren't you?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I would do. This is exactly why I am armed to the teeth on Halloween. Becuase, the Methheads running the Meth Lab Down the street throw rocks and bottles at the little kids walking by on halloween. The Police just drive around the block and leave. And it all begins again.
View Quote

Damn where in Fl do you live?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I would carry around little bags of rocks, or maybe shotgun pellets and if they tried that shit again I would hurl one through their window or smash the windshield.

I would also carry a gun just in case they decided to stop.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Slingshot loaded with porcelain insulator from spark plug.  Breaks windshields every time and explodes into powder.  No evidence.  It's an old Harley thing but we didn't use slingshots.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]
This happened in Broward County. For those not from Florida, Broward is the County just north of Miami-Dade. Parts of Broward have gone to shit. Especially North Lauderdale which is where my permanent residence is. The Silver Lakes area of North Lauderdale is considered by some to be one big Drug Lab.

I live a short distance from Silver Lakes. In fact, my area is blacked out on the Dominos Pizza Map. They will not deliver there becuase their Drivers get mugged, robbed, and attacked. I know half my neighbors have criminal records.

My house got broken into several times. The first time, the cops wouldn't even take prints since nothing of any real value had been stolen. The last time, they took prints and that is all. But, that was only because my parents were in the house when they broke in. They better be damn glad I wasn't there, becuase they would have left in Body Bags.

I moved a couple years ago. But, my parents still live there. I gave them a gun after the last robbery. But, since then, they got an Alarm system and my Mom is back to not wanting to see or touch a gun.

I have seriously told them to move several times. But, she just says they couldn't afford it. She won't even try.

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn where in Fl do you live?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Forgot to mention:

1) Several years ago, a girl was aducted, raped, and murdered a few blocks away.

2) A Couple years ago, a teenage girl was abducted on her way to school and raped behind the Wal-Mart.

3) A few months ago a woman was abducted from the McDonalds Drive through and raped.

4) A search of the FDLE Sexual Predator Database reveals 35 (4 Pages) of Sexual Predators/Offenders in the area including several within a few blocks of me and one right down the street. I just wish I could know how many Felons/Criminals live in the area.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Your lucky!
Here in Texas they throw quart beer bottles.
Sometimes empty, sometimes full of piss.
I’ve been riding my horse down the side of the road and had
An a$$ hole throw a beer bottle at me.  It spookd the horse who threw me and then she ran out in the street and was hit by oncoming traffic.  
We never found the guy.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Marksman sling shot.  Very quiet, decent range, and quite accurate.  Also fun for plinking.
View Quote

Yeah but at range this thing is deadly and since it would be hard top prove they were throwing rocks at him first he get f^&ked in court.....

Slingshot loaded with porcelain insulator from spark plug. Breaks windshields every time and explodes into powder. No evidence. It's an old Harley thing but we didn't use slingshots.
View Quote

if this causes no pyhsical damage to the passengers I thinkthis would solve the problem and scare them sh!tless....

Chimborazo
....UN POCO MAL???
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#20]
ARC LIGHT!

An FAE might work well too.

Seriously, that is huge problem...especially since the lawmen almost never catch the bad guys in the act...and so they just keep doing it until someone is killed or seriously hurt.

I would think a rock could be construed as a deadly weapon but I'm sure some crusading liberal DA would see it differently.

A paint ball gun with permanent ink filler might work real well to locate the perps...but I doubt that stuff exists...and you'd have to shoot their car with the paint ball gun...and then the DA would go after you again!  Hell...just shoot them.  Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

[;D]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
In lieu of a spike strip, consider carrying a small bag of large head roofing nails. Toss em into the car's path, and then run like hell. This can also be carried in your own car to get rid of things following and hunting you.
A double handful is almost impossible to avoid, as they scatter widely.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#22]
In my neck of the woods, if they were throwing large rocks from a moving car you could shoot at them.  A fleeing suspected felon can be shot at.  

Two to the body one to the head.

(Check your local laws before applying.)  
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
yet another reason i gave up jogging to stay home and drink beer [:D]

[beer]
View Quote

Me thinks the same.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Deadly assault rocks much be banned!  It's for the children.z
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#25]
You'd be suprised what Liberal Cops/DAs will do.

I had a neighbor who had been burglarized and vandalized several times. Each time, the cops did nothing. one day he caught a couple of teens breaking into his house. They spotted him and he spotted them. They tore off and he decided to chase them. He caught up with them as they reached one of their friend's homes. Well, he grabbed one of them right as the teen was entering the house...The teen fell back and bumped his head. When the Police got there, rather than arresting the teens for attempting to break into the guys house...They arrested the guy who was being burglarized. Why...becuase technically he entered their house before catching them and one of them was hurt (A small bump on the head). The DA filed some big ass charges like Home Invasion on the the guy and he got out something like $50,000 or $100,000 Bond. His wife had to put up the title to her home to pay the 10% or whatever the bondsman required of his Bail. Eventually, it got to trial and he was fortunate enough to get a reasonable judge who after reviewing the case, dismissed the charges. But, the guy still ended up spending a week or so in Jail for simply chasing down the teens who were breaking into his house. Worse yet, nothing was done to the teens he caught. NADA. They got off scot free.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Uh oh.  Two incidences involving RED Cavaliers in WA… Coincidence?

“second suspect vehicle (V2, a late model Chevy Cavalier, burgundy in color)” from this post: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=91688&page=3[/url]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#27]
We must ban red Cavaliers.  It's for the children.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#28]
You did the right thing.
Next time you should clip a pen to your shirt and put a paper pad in your shorts so you can get the License Number. I know that here in Washington State, a rock that weighs more than four pounds is considered a deadly weapon. So you have legal grounds...
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#29]
you dont happen to have some surplus M72A2 law's laying around the house do ya?  if so, take one with you next time [;)]  muhahahahaha
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I know that here in Washington State, a rock that weighs more than four pounds is considered a deadly weapon. So you have legal grounds...
View Quote

Really?  So, as long as it's 3 lbs 15 ounces, it's legal?  Cool!

And if it's under 50 ounces, I can put a bayonet lug, a heat shield that partially encloses it, and a grenade launcher on it, right?? [rolleyes]

(Sarcasm directed at Olympia and D.C., not you.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top