Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2002 4:45:39 AM EDT
Yeah, I know they made some crappy commercial.

...but I saw a used one, and kinda like it.

I used to go 4wheeling alot, back then, jeeps had leaf springs, they were simple and rugged.

Now they have coil springs and car like features.
Is this thing still a jeep or just a dodge neon with a jeep look ?

Can the newer Jeeps still get you out in the boonies better then anything else?

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get some serious articulation with the coils.  Even stock!  The ride is better both on and offroad.

Just do NOT get a 4 banger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
NOT THE SAME........but the newer suspension withe the control arms seems pretty decent......[chrysler touch ].........just don`t think about plowing with them......(flame coming)......you CAN but......not a good idea......MY OPINION.........[argue]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Plowing? [flame] Are you nuts?  You don't plow with a jeeps wheelbase.  Thats like taking a ferarri offroad.  You plow with trucks.  [flame]

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
yes, the new Jeeps are more than capable, in fact they are preferable to anything with leaf-spring suspensions. i have taken mine on the sickest trails upstate NY has to offer, been Jeeping in Colorado and mud flats in PA, and have never been stuck. (that's a stock Jeep, no lift, no mudders, no winch!) don't be put off by the interior creature comforts they added, underneath, its still very much a Jeep, an improved Jeep at that!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I should'nt do this to you ...its cruel this early in the morning ...however...
[url]http://www.jeepclub.co.uk/news/rubicon_tj.html[/url]
[image]http://www.jeepclub.co.uk/news/images/2003tjrubicon1.jpg[/image]
Eat Your Heart Out....I know I am...
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I own a 1996 jeep cherokee, in the three years we've had it, it's been to the shop no less than 7 times, in my opinion they are the biggest pieces of junk on the road today,I would not buy another,nor would I buy any Chrysler product again! my suggestion to you is, to look at a Chevy or Ford Pickup,SUV, in 4wd, build quality of either is about a light year ahead of the jeep, Parts are generally cheaper and easier to obtain for either one,Jeeps are made from mostly sub-contracted parts, and slapped together at the factory,Go take a look at a Chilton manual, you'll see what I mean,They're junk, period!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#7]
"Is a Jeep Still a Jeep?"

NO. It's a Daimler-Chrysler.

I bought a Comanche pickup in "90, the last year they made them. I put 180k on it with very little trouble (clutch slave cylinder, headliner fell out). Hauled many a deer out of the slick muddy GA woods. I sold it last year ($1300) to a guy down the road who fixed it up so it looks new, and I do a double-take every time he drives by. A good truck.

I will not even consider a Jeep now. I drive a Ford pickup that I really like (2001 SuperCrew 4WD 5.4L V8). No problems yet.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:56:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a few buddies with Jeeps down here. Everytime it rains I've gotta go pull 'em out of their driveways.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a '96 Grand Cherokee for 3 years myself. I quit counting the number of times we had it in the shop (well over a dozen), for just about everything. Just remember, it is built by the same company that makes Dodge! They back up their vehicles right up until the warranty expires. After that experience, I swore off ever buying another Chysler product, EVER. That includes Mercedes as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'll have to go against the grain here and say I've had great luck with jeep products. I have a 94 cherokee 6 cyl. with 4" lift 31" tires, and has been a wonderful vehicle. I just traded in my 95 wrangler 4 cyl. for a new Grand Cherokee. I'll miss the little wrangler but I love the luxury of the grand with the v8

Quoted:
You can get some serious articulation with the coils.  Even stock!  The ride is better both on and offroad.

Just do NOT get a 4 banger.
View Quote

As to this statement, it depends on what YOU are planning on doing with it. My 4 cyl. went everywhere off-road the big boys with modified v8's did. Off-road is about driver skill and low gearing so you don't tear up the rig. The 4 cyl. comes with 4.110/4.11 gearing and the 6 cyl. comes with a 3.07 or option for a 3.73. Where the 4 cyl lacks is at speeds above 65 mph. I ran mine with lift kit. 33" tires, full roof rack with 620 watts of light on the top and could hold 65 on the freeway unless you had a headwind. Any speeds under that and it's nominal from the 4 cyl to the 6. Email me with any specific questions.

idaho-ar15
"it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plowing? [flame] Are you nuts?  You don't plow with a jeeps wheelbase.  Thats like taking a ferarri offroad.  You plow with trucks.  [flame]

View Quote
                                          Youre` right....they have turned into quite the "yuppy machine" now........BUT....in this part of the world........you DO plow with jeep wheelbase......(sidewalks)........and yes.....DON~T get a 4 cyl..........[devil]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as off-road capability is concerned, a Jeep Wrangler (TJ) is a far better [i]vehicle[/i] than [b]any[/b] CJ or Wrangler (YJ) with comparably-sized tires. And if you can be comfortable while 4-wheelin', I say go for it! [b]BUT[/b] there's only one thing missing that prevents a Wrangler TJ from being a true [i]Jeep[/i], and that's the engine & driveline noise from a 258cid I6, 4-speed manual truck tranny and gear-drive transfer case! [:D]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my '90 Cherokee, but I am disgusted by the new Liberty. They canned the Cherokee for THIS??
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a '95 jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6. Bought it new. It had a great engine and was fun, WHEN it ran. that thing was the biggest POS I've ever owned. I wheeled it a lot and had the engine bolts (3 toothpicks on the passenger side) shear off THREE TIMES. I broke the rear axel and the Camshaft Poisition Sensor went bad and keft me STRANDED in Colorado. Total trash. I learned my lesson and got a '75 FJ40 Toyota landcruiser. Now THAT is a four wheeler. Ever take a look at one up close? These things are the TOUGHEST vehicles on the road (or off0 BAR NONE.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I just bought my first JEEP Wrangler sport with the 4.0/auto. 1998,50K on the odo. Real nice shape. Day after I bought it I noticed a coolant leak, dealer is going good on a new rad.Wife can't wait to get it back. Next week I'll have the tranny flushed and driveline inspected more to take advantage of the 30 day powertrain warranty. But the Jeep has been well maintained. Just got to remember it ain't a Lexus.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#16]
A real jeep....
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/4/30/93/29043093PBZnGSrOlO_th.jpg[/img]
IMHO..a Jeep should be dirt simple, no carpet, emmissions, air....they should be bare bones.  Hose em out and keep going.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I love Jeeps.  For the last 15 years my wife has driven one for the family car and I have driven one as my personal vehicle.  My son has also had driven them.

We had great luck with everyone of them.  Much less time in the shop than other vehicles I've had.  My current vehicle is a 1995 Cherokee with right at 100K.  It has not been in the shop yet except for scheduled maintenance.  I've driven it off road and no problems.  You can get any vehicle stuck but Jeep seems to hold it's own.

I don't know if I'm just lucky or what.  I know other people who have had a lot of trouble.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm sure this will ruffle a lot of feathers, but Jeeps have been pretty pussified since at least 1987. Real Jeeps died right along with the CJ in 1986. The YJ and TJ are sell outs for onroad safety and comfort. Look at these new ones with their Rube Goldberg-like coil suspensions, melted plastic interiors, etc.

My 2 cents, dollar for dollar, you're better off buying an older CJ and building it up than buying a new TJ and modifying it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Jeeps?  Great trucks.

I have three so far - 87, 88, and 89 Cherokee XJ's.  The newest one (her '89) turned 160K last week, and my 88 (daily driver) blew thru 210K about a week and a half ago.  The 87 is getting extended R&R at 260K, and is awaiting restomodding.

Preferred years for the Cherokee (and Comanche pickup) are 1987-1996, with a stronger preference for 1987-1990.  BUY the 4.0 inline six-cylinder engine - it's a ROCK SOLID platform.  Pulls like a beast when you need it, and cranks out 85 mph at around 3Krpm ALL DAY LONG.

The transfer case has a useful low range, the axles are relatively solid (they could stand an upgrade to Super 35 kits or D44 outright) and the automatic transmission they used is OUTSTANDING.

I have driven the Grands (ZJ/WJ) and I am not wholly impressed with the handling.  I would nit mind building up a CJ, TJ, or YJ, and have some projects revolving around those models on the back burner.

I have used my XJ's as workhorses, remote site vehicles, rescue vehicles, pulled trees off the range, and done more tow work than I care to think about.  No problems.

If you might want more Comanche/Cherokee info - visit us at www.naxja.org.  For Grand Cherokees, there is www.nagca.org.

FFZ
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I just got mine (98 Wrang.) back from the dealer I bought it from (2/28/02). They replaced the radiator (they ate it) with a genuine copper and brass one (brand new manuf.) instead of one of those crappy/useless and unfixable aluminum and plastic jobs. Plus they installed a new serpintine belt I supplied labor free. I can't complain about that deal. Some people have had bad luck with this dealer like many have had with others, but so far I can't complain.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
NOT THE SAME........but the newer suspension withe the control arms seems pretty decent......[chrysler touch ].........just don`t think about plowing with them......(flame coming)......you CAN but......not a good idea......MY OPINION.........[argue]
View Quote

If I had a Jeep why would I ever need to plow?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I got a question for some of you.  I am on my third Wrangler.  I recently saw a Wrangler version that came with a roof rack, extra lights and the hood was a bit less round and more angler, it had some kind of name like cruiser or something on it and this is like the 3rd or 4th one I have seen in Coastal Carolina.  I like the way they look and am thinking of replacing my 98 Sahara, but there isn't any info or even a name for the package on the Jeep home page.  Any one know what they are called or if they are still even available.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got a question for some of you. Any one know what they are called or if they are still even available.
View Quote

Jeep Liberty

Do I win??
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Oly
No its a Wrangler varient, I really like the way they look and was wanting one if I could find more info on them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#27]

[b]Yeah, that new Liberty is a real Faggin' Wagon![/b]

Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#28]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/OLY%2DM4gery%2Fpromo2%2Egif[/img]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry to hear you guy's have had so much trouble with your Jeeps. I've had 2 wranglers so far, an '89 and now a '93, and loved both... the '89 was a 4 banger with 33's and was a bit underpowered on the highway, but that was my only complaint. I only got rid of it 'cause my buddie launched it through a concrete fencepost.

The '93 I stole from a shady used car dealer that didn't communicate well with his sales people (you [b]know[/b] you got a good deal when the sales manager is cursing and calling you a 'f*cking thief' as he signs the papers!)

I love the '93... put a 2.5" Cepek lift on it with 33's, which the 4.0 6 handles better on the highway.  It's never been in the shop, and I've had it about 2yrs now.  The only problem I had was I cracked the weld around the drivers side roll bar where it connects to the windshield (I launched off a 3' berm coming down a trail, otherwise no damage).  This was obviously a weak part that the company knew about, because the replacement the dealer sold me had a much beefier flange and weld.

I really use mine on trails and when I go camping, not like those foofoo SUV driving yuppies in a Rav-4 (WTF are those things, anyway!?), and I love Jeep wranglers.  
Can't speak about the Cherokees though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a '91 Wrangler with 117,000 miles, and it still goes up the side of a mountain better than my brothers new blazer. Hell his would not go more than 50 ft. up the side of some of the mountains here, and I climb to the top and he always want's me to come back down and pick him up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:41:03 AM EDT
[#31]
The Liberty is definitely a step up from that  light in the ass, XJ Cherokee series. For once they finally added steel instead of taking it out. The mid 80's Cherokee SUV weighs in at a measly 3150lbs, the Wrangler actually weighs more. The Liberty is a full 700lbs heavier. And if you look underneath them, you'll see why. The Cherokee doesn't even have a frame, it's a straight pan uni-body design. All the new Grand Cherokees and Liberty's have built in sub-frames with heavy A-arm coil/live front and rear suspensions, thus all the extra weight. Both now have decent suspensions with plenty of travel. The Liberty has 8" travel stock. It will definitely won't be as easy/cheap to upgrade, but the whole point is that you should be able to leave the road stock without Adding 5-10k in suspension add-ons. You're basically creating a brand new car.

I can't tell you how many times my best friend had to change his blown out shocks and bushings. "Rancho" the good stuff. Those leaf springs just suck for suspension travel. His XJ bottomed out in the rear every time we hit a rut. This never happened on the same road with a stock 4 Runner.

Hopefully, Jeeps new "leak free" engines are up to the hype. My buddies XJ Cherokee left every color of the rainbow in his driveway and gutter. I remember pulling up behind his SUV one day only to notice a shower of trani fluid sprinkling all over the street. And I thought my old Mustang leaked oil, Man, what a mess!

He now drives my dads used 11 year old, still running great, Toyota 4 Runner 210,000+miles. His 9 year old Cherokee, 120,000+???the speedo broke 2 years ago, sits in a junk yard rusting away. The interior didn't last too long either.

Have you ever wondered why you only see 4 Runners, Land Cruisers and Unimogs in 3rd World countries? Countries where the term "road" is used loosely? Suspension, fluids that actually stay in the car and mechanical/electrical reliability. Hopefully, Jeep has taken notice and applied these qualities to their SUV's. I know that they have at least addressed the first two with their latest line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top