Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2002 1:23:02 AM EDT
Do you need a CA drivers license to purchase long guns and/or pistols in CA? I have a friend who lives in Kalifornia and wants to buy a pistol, but all she has is a Delaware DL (which is still valid).
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:31:31 AM EDT
Yes
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:59:10 AM EDT
She hasn't picked up a phone and checked there on this? Well, if she LIVES in CA, why doesn't she get a CA driver's license? Problem solved. This involves both state and U.S. laws. If I were a CA FFL, I'd suspect such a transaction.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:42:52 AM EDT
As the above... You need a Cal DL or Cal ID. The DROS is tied into your DMV records...
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:57:08 AM EDT
Let's say you show her around AZ and happen to stumble accross a gun store. Lets say she finds a gun she likes. Let's say AZ has no restrctions to selling to out of state persons and no I believe no waiting period requirements. Lets say you come back to CA and never talk about it ever again. What happens in AZ stays in AZ.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:01:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By lordtrader: Let's say you show her around AZ and happen to stumble accross a gun store. Lets say she finds a gun she likes. Let's say AZ has no restrctions to selling to out of state persons and no I believe no waiting period requirements. Lets say you come back to CA and never talk about it ever again. What happens in AZ stays in AZ.
View Quote
Unfortunately, I believe you must have an AZ ID to purchase a handgun in AZ. Long guns are OK for out-of-stater's though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:08:21 AM EDT
The GCA of 1968 prohibited interstate sales of firearms, so your friend from Delaware can only buy form a dealer in Delaware. Private party transactions may be a different issue however. But she would be governed by Delaware law on that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:24:24 PM EDT
Let's say you show her around AZ and happen to stumble accross a gun store. Lets say she finds a gun she likes. Let's say AZ has no restrctions to selling to out of state persons and no I believe no waiting period requirements. Lets say you come back to CA and never talk about it ever again. What happens in AZ stays in AZ.
View Quote
An interesting hypothetical mental exercise. But I am curious. Having spent my whole life and especially my formative years in the paradise known as the state of California, I have little knowledge about what it is like to purchase weapons in dangerous places such as Nevada and Arizona. Would an Arizona or Nevada gun store really sell a rifle or handgun to someone from California? If I was driving through Arizona, stopped to gorge myself with some fast food, happened to see a gun store across the street, went in, and saw a nice remington 700 pss for much less than I could buy it for back home, they would sell it to me? If it was a handgun? If it was an EVIL black rifle? Afterall, assuming a person (certainly not me) were of the mind to take a nice little drive through arizona or nevada and purchased a weapon not allowed in Ca, there wouldn't be a violation of PRK law unless that weapon were stupidly brought back into the state.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:41:04 PM EDT
my understanding was u could buy a long gun in another state as long as your home state allows both the long gun and the out of state purchase Commiefornia and the Caliban dont allow out of state purchases on long guns
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:51:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CaptainSanity:
View Quote
An interesting hypothetical mental exercise. But I am curious. Having spent my whole life and especially my formative years in the paradise known as the state of California, I have little knowledge about what it is like to purchase weapons in dangerous places such as Nevada and Arizona. Would an Arizona or Nevada gun store really sell a rifle or handgun to someone from California? If I was driving through Arizona, stopped to gorge myself with some fast food, happened to see a gun store across the street, went in, and saw a nice remington 700 pss for much less than I could buy it for back home, they would sell it to me? If it was a handgun? If it was an EVIL black rifle? Afterall, assuming a person (certainly not me) were of the mind to take a nice little drive through arizona or nevada and purchased a weapon not allowed in Ca, there wouldn't be a violation of PRK law unless that weapon were stupidly brought back into the state.
View Quote
It is not illegal for a CA resident to purchase a long gun out of state. What is illegal is for them to take possession of it without it first being transfered to a CA FFL and having the FFL perform the background check and then holding the firearm for the 10 day waiting period. This of course does not apply to MGs or AWs as they are essentially banned now. Most likely a gun store outside CA would ask for ID and upon learning you are from CA not sell you the firearm until they find out what the laws in CA say about you buying out of state. Assuming they would even bother. You could probably get away with purchasing from a private party out of state but you would be breaking CA law and at risk of a felony if caught. There are other intricacies involved but my fingers are tired [:)]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:23:07 PM EDT
If you're found residing in CA with an out of state license and registration, you can be in for some difficulties too. I seem to recall that the deadline was 30 days to get a new license, and 10 to register a vehicle, from when you move here, but I may be wrong on the exact number of days. My mom got caught doing this, and it resulted in fines, towing fees, impound fees and a great deal of hassle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:24:27 PM EDT
Do you need a CA drivers license to purchase long guns and/or pistols in CA? I have a friend who lives in Kalifornia and wants to buy a pistol, but all she has is a Delaware DL (which is still valid).
View Quote
It is my understanding that if you are in the PRK more than 10 days, you MUST get a California ID or you are violating the law. Your friend is a criminal. Tell her to turn herself in to the nearest police station. [url]www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:33:33 PM EDT
per the ATF: (B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29] Don't know how CA differs from this.
Top Top