Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2001 10:53:18 AM EDT
My grandparents contacted me today and told me that a few of their farm cats have been killed around their rural farm. My grandmother said the prints where huge and is worried that her baby calfs are in danger The dog or dogs struck last night and killed 3 more cats. If it is a pack of feral dogs will it be likely that they will return tonight??

I'm hoping it is feral dogs or coyotes and not the retards dogs that live on the other side of the farm. The retards in question are a California deputy and his son who have moved here to idaho because he is on disability, but is working for the local county sherrifs office as a regular deputy!!! His two rotweilers have killed a few of my grandparents cats and don't see it as a big deal, I figure that if the deputy hears shots tonight and his dogs are missing I'll be dealing with alot of crap.

My plan is to take my bushy v-match for any long range work before dark, my oly m4gery with a-max rds. and a browning BPS with 00 buck for night work. This may be the chance to talk the wife into letting me get a nightvision scope!I'm tempted to bait the dogs with canned dog food. Any ideas besides not shooting anyone tonight??[heavy]

thanks
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#1]
On word. Tibbetts suppressed 77/44.  44Mag bolt gun with a report as low as a good air rifle.

All they will hear is the diggin of the hole to drop the carcases in.

Get a pet bobcat. That will give those dogs a run for thier money
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#2]
There is little difference in farm country between "feral dogs" & "strays". The responce to either problem is the same.

I would not use bait of any kind. It the dogs are cuasign problems you want to kill them in the act, not kill a pet that wander in cuase you baited it.

Dont use traps. any trap big enough for a dog can cost a child a limb.

Dont use the AR, it more gun than you need and your doing a rather unpleasant act with a gun that already has a negative sovcial stigma.

BEFORE you do anything call your local law enforcement agency and animal control department and ask for assistance /advice. this will somewhat protect you if you shoot a pet.

Also BEFORE you do this contact all the local pet owners and tell them feral dogs are killing your livestock and on whatever date you are going to shoot them. Ask them to restrain their animals.

Then lie in wait with a 22 rimfire and kill the problem animal(s) in the act. If you know the owner of the animal immediately contact the (preferably adult male) owner and tell him you had to shoot his dog for attacking livestock/running deer/whatever.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Check your local laws to see under what cirumstances you can kill dogs.  A state like Idaho, that has a lot of livestock, probably has specific provisions.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally would not use a rimefire on an animal as big as a rot. Haveing hunted a number of yotes I would also say that a .223 is not too much gun.

Shoot shovel and shut up!
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad to see this topic posted here today.
Yesterday morning my little female terrier mix was attacked by a neighbors female dog that I believe is a pit bull mix.This is the thrid time in two years and this attack is the worse.It's going to take surgery to repair the damage done to her right hid leg.The joint is completely torn apart.
I live out in country and my 3 dogs are not penned up and neither is this dog and the 4 others that she has.
I dont know if I should approach this woman about her dog or let it go.My husband and I are concerned that if we say anything to her about it and then the dog comes up dead we will have trouble on our hands.One of our good neighbors has also been trying to kill this dog.
[smash]
[heavy]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Better think about this!

If it is the neighbor's dogs as you suspect consider a few points:

If this guy allows dangerous dogs, that he knows may have already killed other peoples pets, to continue to run loose, then that speaks volumes about the guy and certainly implies that he is not subject to sweet reason.

You say this guy is part of local law enforcement?  Unless he is very, very disliked in the S.O. he is in a position to make big trouble for your grandparents.  If your grandparents are like most farmers I know, they think the stop sign down at the county road "says" slow down, look both ways (you can see for 3 miles in any direction), and keep rollin'.  How many times will they get hit with a "Failure to Stop" ticket before they can break old habits.  He only needs one or two buddies.  I know this grates, but we're talking reality here.

What's the law in ID?  When I lived in PA (twenty years ago) according to the law, because house dogs turned loose during the day would "pack up" and run deer to death, they were varmints and should be shot on sight when harrasing wildlife.  ID is a rural state and probably has laws that protect farm animals.

Unfortunatly in life, when faced with a difficulty, the most satisfying course of action is frequently not the wisest.

My advice:

Do you have, or can you borrow/rent a video camera?  Quite often shooting a few frames proves much more effective than shooting a few rounds.

Get a lawyer!  You said this guy is on disability, but works as a deputy.  Is this a vulnerability?  A decent lawyer will be an expert at threats and intimidation, without stepping over the line.  A couple hundred paid to a lawyer beats hell out of having your $1200 AR confiscated and spending $1000+ to get it back.

Have you tried talking to the Sheriff himself?  Our Sheriff is a real straight arrow and will not abide misconduct by his deputies.  Do your grandparents belong to the same political party as the Sheriff?  Is he up for reelection?  Soon?

You've got options, and the gun should be your last resort.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Don't shoot the dogs.

Talk to your neighbor, tell him your concerns and inform him of your intent if, given the opportunity, his dogs kill again. It will be his job to either control them, or mourn them.

Fair warning is needed. I don't think good people resort to killing neighbors pets as a first option.

I'm not saying to back down, just don't be in such a rush to pull a midnight Rambo just because you can.

By your account, you really have no idea who or what the culprit is, so before you cover your face with cammo paint and load up your AR's, you might want to solve the riddle before you let bullets fly at the first thing you see.

Recon before combat, not the other way around.[/b]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input guys. I've used a .22 rimfire on a few dogs and think it is underpowered to say the least. The coyotes I've shot never complained about a .223 though!!!

A lawyer had been contacted about a year ago and had sent a letter to the owner of the rotweiler and the county sherrif stating that if the dogs where caught on the property again they would be shot on site. Basicly the owner thumbed his at my grandparents and the sheriff said shoot shovel and shut up would be the best course of action. I'm still going out there tonight, I had seen a couple of very large coyotes this winter while hiding in a pit blind hunting geese. Maybe I can have a few new pelts to hang in the garage!!
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Then lie in wait with a 22 rimfire and kill the problem animal(s) in the act. If you know the owner of the animal immediately contact the (preferably adult male) owner and tell him you had to shoot his dog for attacking livestock/running deer/whatever.
View Quote

LawDawg,
With all due respect, I have seen you give plenty of good advice in this forum, I'm quite sure you're wrong here.  A .22 rimfire is not enough gun.  I know that back in the old days in Africa they'd use them to kill elephants, but I speak from personal experience.

I don't think that having it run home to bleed out on the family doorstep is a good idea.

As for contacting the owner.  Thats a job, if done at all, for the local authorities.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Cop from Kalifornia, has he brought his Kalifornia law enforcement style to your area?  

Silently take care of the dogs and !keep your mouth shut!  Take the animals a few miles up the road set them in the middle and run over them with a vehicle (preferably a pick-up truck).  Make them look like road kill, hey dumb dogs can't stay out of the road these days.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]
sgf
Yes he has brought the california style enforcement to the area, you can always tell when he is having a party, if a car drives by he races to his car and chases them down with his siren running and lights on, pulls them over and then proceeds at gun point to show off to his friends!!  He makes Barney Fife look like a nobel peace prize winner.

With over 500 acres of our own land I'm sure I can find a good place to bury pests.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The road kill scenario leads him to beleive his stupid dogs where chasing rabbits and got in front of a truck.  If possible use something like a 7.62x39 round FMJ or soft point.  Powerful yet the exit wound is not that bad.  After a few vehicles run over them gunshot wounds are indiscernable.  Burying them is another option, no matter what your grandparents you and whoever else keep your mouth shut.  How close was the last sheriff's election.  Let your county Sheriff know this joker is a liability.

Whatever you want to do.  Disposing of the bodies in an opposite direction from your place and letting their be another cause of death will help you live more peaceably.  Just hope he doesn't get a Mastiff next.  Better be looking for a good .50 cal then. 8^D
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Typical. People move to the "country" and turn their dogs loose. To run free like their ancestors. I have seven lion hounds in pens behind the house. When other peoples dogs out here come into the place from the back or traverse the road infront of the house my pack lights up (their territory)I'm sure that they can be heard about a mile at least. If anyone were to complain I'd say keep you dogs at home. Not on my place or running the road. I don't like it but that's life in the "country".
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]
"My grandparents contacted me today and told me that a few of their farm cats have been killed around their rural farm. My grandmother said the prints where huge and is worried that her baby calfs are in danger The dog or dogs struck last night and killed 3 more cats. If it is a pack of feral dogs will it be likely that they will return tonight??"

idaho ar-15:

How do you know you're dealing with dogs?[?]
Huge prints?[:\]
It might be a Chupacabra![:D]
Watch yourself....[(:|)]

Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Now I don't know the law in your state, but here in AR [b]YOU[/b] are resposible for your dogs, if they go on someone else's property and cause damage [b]YOU[/b] are liable.  I have some friends who own cattle if they catch a dog running cattle it will not leave that field.  There is'nt a whole lot the Sheriff is going to do, except maybe tell you to put your dogs up.  If they are truly feral dogs you should be able to call them with a wounded rabbit call just like a coyote.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I personally would not use a rimefire on an animal as big as a rot. Haveing hunted a number of yotes I would also say that a .223 is not too much gun.

Shoot shovel and shut up!
View Quote

Love that quote, last time I heard it was when the environmentalist decended on Abilene Tx. worried about the golden cheek warbler nesting areas. The local ranchers used it in reference to both bird and enviro-wackos.  they left in a hurry.
As for the dogs, in Tx. it is legal to shoot to protect livestock. No questions asked. No charges filed. Period.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up. Do you have a bow? If so, this might be your best bet. White bread soaked in anti freeze is also said to be quite effective. Be careful here, this tactic is indiscriminate.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#20]
While anti-freeze works, it is cruel and a slow death. Let us not stoop that low, please. Shoot and stand up for your rights.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
As the owner of two dogs this whole thing makes me cringe a little. However, I don't let my dogs run loose, they are "house" dogs only. But having to deal with neighbor cats all the time I know how you feel. I haven't resorted to killing them, I just imagine a little 8 year old girl wondering why fluffy didn't come home, but I sure as shit paintball the hell out of them. Kitty doesn't like it, it's alot of fun and when fluffy comes home ten different colors maybe the owners will take an interest in controlling their pets.
If these ARE someones pet dogs carelessly let loose I would recommend the paintball approach. If these are truly feral dogs who pose a undue risk the humane thing to do might be to put them down with as little suffering as possible. Another alternative is live traps, if these dogs do belong to a LEO you have detained the evidence so to speak. There are hefty fines for not controlling dogs where I live. This way you don't have to kill a dog who really doesn't know better because the owner is a inconsiderate asshole.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Shooting dogs is asking for trouble, you could lose your rifle, get fined, or sued.  Poisoning is a good idea, use a rat poison mixed with meat, just be sure to put it where the dogs are and the cats are not.  The guy wakes up to find his dogs poisoned, it is tough sh!t on his part, because he will have a hard time proving it came from you.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I have killed dogs with the .22. Deer, hogs, fox, beaver, you name it. Hit them in the eye if they are looking at you and in the ear if they're side on. I shot one that didn't even pinch off the turd he was leaving. It was half in and half out!You have to be able to shoot like me though to do it almost everytime.;) A shot to the head with a solid long rifle round and like someone said before, put the carcass in the road and smear it out a little. Life in the country is tough. I personally think your problem is coyotes because they love cats and are quick enough to get several at a time. Dogs aren't that fast. Are the cats comsumed? If so it is for sure coyotes. A dog might kill a cat but I have yet to see one actually eat it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#24]
If you decide on antifreeze or some other poision, please be very careful.  They are effective, but every now and then someone accidentally kills a child that way.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Do the recon thing first-figure out what you are up against. If it is a dog and you can lure it inside a barn you are set. Try some bait and camp out with a .22 loaded with CCI CB Longs. You only need and only want to make one shot-GOOD shot placement is key to sucess. I used to have a neighbor who was a few bites short of a sandwich that tried to "rescue" every stray dog she came across. She had this one that bit my younger brother pretty good once and chased him from the schoolbus to the house two or three times a week until we solved the problem. My Dad got fed up with trying to get the nutcase neighbor to keep this menace tied up so we lured it into the barn one night with some bait. I shut the door and the old man cracked the mutt in the ear with a CB Long and that dog just wilted where it stood. The dog went for a ride in the country and became road-kill on a quiet road. I have also dispatched a couple of other canines(a German Shepherd-mix and another large mutt weighing about 90 pounds) with CB Longs which got in my coyote traps by accident. If they didn't have a collar I never caught the same one twice. I would avoid taking the AR or the 00 buck because of the noise-you don't want to broadcast your actions to the whole neighborhood-especially considering your neighbor's job. This HAS to be a COVERT operation-do it, dispose of it and shut-up about it as if nothing ever happened. If your surveillance determines it is 'yotes then haul out the AR and the BPS with 00 buck and get yourself a good rabbit squealer call and do some varmint huntin'-it is a lot of fun. Good Luck-hope you get your problem solved
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#26]
[b]Don't use rat posion![/b]  I tried this on some wild cat's it will make one hell of a mess and more than likely will not dispatch the canines.  It takes way too much to kill a large animal even cat sized.  Rat poison works by causing internal hemorraging, all they will do is sh|t blood all over everything for 2-3 days then they are back in business.  No flames please, experience teaches.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, it's about 11:30 Mountain time in Montana land....  can't wait to see what happened... we've got butt-loads of yotes & their bigger cousins over here in the flathead...drivin out the deer and elk.... dogs in these parts aren't strays for too long, if the local homeowners don't get em, the cougars do pretty quick.

I agree with a previous post that if the LE is on disability in the PRK and also working up here in God's country, ... well he just may deserve need someone to dime him if he insists on being a hard-ass.  Most of the local LEO's in our parts are very easy to get along with....
he (your neighbor) should learn a lesson from them....

Good Luck.
Wildman
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
We used to leave our dogs run loose and we have lost 2 of them to gun shots. Such is life.

The kids would take their dog with them where ever they went. The nearest neighbor (1/4 mile) started to complain about our dog always running loose, it was alright for his to run. I couldn't keep the dog home. I'd tie it up and a few days later the kids would have it loose again. After the third complaint, I told him if the dog gave him problems again, just shoot it. And once it comes up missing, we'll open up season on every loose dog in the county. He said we couldn't do that. My reply: "Just let anything happen to that dog and we'll find out just what I can and cannot do." It took about 2 years and the dog came up missing, when I found it, it had died from a shot to the chest. I started baiting and killed 11 dogs at 160 yards with a 30-06. I just dragged them into the woods, never did use one for bait.

sgf, I used the roadkill trick once also, but that is another story.

Fred
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#29]
No advise...  just a bit of history.  When folks let out the "family pet" to run in the evening, they'd hook up with their buddys and then come over and run the deer where I work to death.  After about four dead, we just waited up and shot three of the seven good and dead with .22's.  Notified the owners of the dogs we could trace via their tags and that was the end of it.  This is in Washington...  best to check with your local fuzz first.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Well it's 1:30 a.m. and no trigger time tonight. Before I got there at 6:00 p.m. my grandfather had been driving though one of the fields a quarter mile from the house and spotted a large brown lab, a heeler and a dalmation laying in one of our pivot tracks trying to stay out of sight. He didn't have his rifle with him though and by the time he had returned with it they had vanished. This dalmation is the same one my grandmother had chased from our spirnger heffer pen a week ago. Nothing showed up tonight so he is going to start packing his rifle with him during the day when he is using the tractor. I did enjoy spending quality time with a WWII vet hiding out on top of one of our hay stacks!!! He's def. interested in shooting the AR's when it gets warmer.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Killing problem animals is one thing. Killing dogs because "killin' stuff is fun" is for friggin inbred morons.

Link Posted: 3/17/2001 1:36:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Been here, done this...

Lots of excellent advice to had with the previous posts.  I keep a large group of goats on my land for brush control.  Frequently borrow Boar billy goats from friends to breed my females.  Those cost thousands of dollars.

Dogs are a never ending problem, but one of my AR's is an effective countermeasure.  The buzzards eat well.  Sitting on the barn roof provides an excellent field of fire.

Called county animal control once about the problem.  The guy spend an hour in the rain trying to catch the stray.  "Shoot the thing, will ya?" was all he told me.  Nuff said...
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 3:43:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Poision is not the way to go.  granted you don't want the animal there, but if your going to kill it, do it in as humane way as possible.  No dou't the 223 will do the job, the .22 will if you dont just tag it, the 20 gauge will also do the job.  

My opinion is once the dog is dead, as the saying goes, let dead dogs lay.  don't tell him you shot them, thats just going the situation more tense.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#34]
For clarification the dogs that where sighted yesterday do not belong to the problem neighbor. Yes they will be dispatched as humainly possible.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cop from Kalifornia, has he brought his Kalifornia law enforcement style to your area?
View Quote

Hey, nobody said he was beating the crap out of blacks.

[:O]  That would be in Alabamy, ain't it Cletus?

Just WTF do you know about California law enforcement?  Here's a little primer though: we frown upon sex with sheep and/or our sisters, which means *you* may want to stay home in Alabamy.  Thanks for your piece of mind, but I think you need it back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Man Cible you seem just a little touchy about people badmouthin cali. I think its funny that sgf is probably just gonna laugh when he hears your Alabama bash because its just a stupid misconception about the south and is far from the truth but everytime someone bashs cali the californians have to fight back because it hits the nail on the head. LOL

As far as the dog thing goes you should shoot them and not tell anybody, and hope that he doesn't visit these boards too. :) As far as the cop being on disability you should turn him in no matter what, maybe he'll leave, and there is no way you want a cop like that livin next door.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I live in the country and as much as I don't like it, it is a fact that dogs pack up and if they run/kill livestock around here they will end up shot.  

I am also one of those "crazy ladies" [;)] who takes in stray dogs but mine are all fenced in unless I am home with them and then they stay with me.  

BTW, for anyone who says they can't keep a dog a home (keeps getting out) may I suggest a high fence with hot wire run 6 inches from the ground (prevents digging).  

As for your problem, don't bait an animal - you may kill the wrong critter.  I agree with a .223 and waiting for a clean shot- I hate hunters who "wing" animals and then let them suffer to death.  There is no need to tell the owner of the animal what happened if you suspect it will create disharmony in your community.  If you live in the country, let your dogs run loose and they don't come home one day it should be obvious what happened to them.  

And as for you folks suggesting poison - what kind of sick f*ckers are you?!?!?!  
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes, Rickyj, I [i]am[/i] a little tired of people bashing California.  That's why I repond when people do so.  You will notice, or you can ask an adult if you still don't understand, that I was obviously stereotyping people from the south.

It was [i]meant[/i] to be funny.  I [i]expect[/i] sgf to laugh.

However, just WTF do YOU know about California?  California is none of your business, at least until we get sick and tired of complaints from Coloretard and decide to buy it.  And install Feinstein.  There's [i]chunks[/i] of states like you in California's crap!
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#39]
HAHAHA
You are so funny Cible, seriously. Every time that I read one of your posts I laugh out loud. I just picture you angrily typing away at your computer in the basement, cursing everyone from any state but cali, then yelling in a serious voice at the moniter "I do have a sense of humor!" I seriously laugh my ass off because I know you have to be joking. How could anyone who says something to be funny not recognize when someone else does. I even had LOL at the end of my post, (I meant it to be funny). Oh well, I guess that I should have known someone from california would not understand, I am stereotyping californians I think, I haven't been able to find an adult to explain what the word means to me yet so I might be wrong.
Please post an angry post in response to this, it really lightens my day. LMAO

Coloretard Over and Out
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I grew up with the feral dog problem.  Only thing is, about half the feral dogs usually belong to neighbors.  Feral dogs are much more dangerous that any other animal or pack of animals that most people are likely to run into here in the USA.  They have no fear of man.  

If it were my place, it would always be open season on any dog that steps into the property.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Miss Magnum-no offense intended to you kind souls who take in a few strays. My old neighbor on the other hand was really "nuts". She ended up with near 50 strays on a 2 acre lot and in a 3 bedroom house after she drove away her husband and son who thought she was getting out of hand after a dozen or so of the strays. The health dept. finally shut her down and she was later committed to a mental health facility for some serious head shrinking. As for my endorsement of the .22 CB Longs instead of .223-this was only intended as a "quiet" covert    alternative and only at very close range(inside a barn) with a WELL placed shot . It does work pretty well-I've been there.
Finnbear
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#42]
[red][SIZE=4][CENTER][b]I DO HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR DAMMIT!!!!![/red][/SIZE=4][/CENTER][/b]

P.S. We really don't have many basements here in SoCal.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Funny we are on this subject, The other night my in-laws little dog was attacked right in front of their door. They let him out to take a leak and our neighbor's pitbull grabs him up and shreds him. They ran the dog to the vet at 1 AM.  $500 later he's patched with over 100 stitched, missed the juglar by millimeters. This pit bull has growled and ran from me on my property and charged at my wife. Mother-in-law asked me NOT to kill that dog. They want to talk to the owner. This morning they pay him a visit with the bill in hand, The dog runs off the guy's porch. He claimed the dog isn't his! Doesn't know it is aggressive. They mention killing it and he goes nuts. Says he won't pay the g*ddamn bill and to get the f*ck off his property!  My intetion is to kill it the second I see it. I walk into my in-laws house this morning and guns are laying everywhere. I never thought they had that many.  I grew up on a farm in the Tellico Mountains. Any animals that showed signs of being troublesome were executed with a well placed .22,or 223. I took care of a few with 00B from the double. I know all the local authorities, So I'm not worried about it.  This guy is not going to give me any trouble when I do kill his dog. He has been warned many times. By the way, Get a pair of bolt action .22s for you and your helper loaded with CCI shorts. You can bait in front of the barn, Get up in the loft and kill them both quietly with head shots. I've done it before, Late at night to keep the neighbors from waking. And at 60 feet a short will penetrate the dog's skull and scramble grey matter. The .22 shorts in a rifle sound like a pellet rifle. Good hunting!
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#44]
 If the cats were eaten, then It was coyotes. If they were just kllled and left it was probably dogs. Just be sure that it was the neighbor's dogs if you intend to kill them. They could be guilty since they are city dogs.
 I had to get rid of a pack of feral dogs a couple of years ago. It took almost 4 months to get all of them. They were killing livestock, not cats.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They could be guilty since they are city dogs.
View Quote

City Dogs?  What the hell are those?  How can you tell?  Are their nails manicured?  Do they take taxis everywhere?  Do they drink Starbucks?  Is it that they won't piss on a tree, but insist on using doggy toilets?  Do they wear eyeglasses or something?  Are they little doggy democrats?  Did they vote for AlGore?  Are they wearing sport coats or sneakers, where Country Dogs wear overalls and little straw hats and chew on pieces of straw or tobacco or something?  Do they listen to rap?

Puh-leeeeze.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like someone needs to count to 10, Cible. Get in the corner and don't come out till you can play nice! Alabama aint so bad. You ought to visit it sometime.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Pangea, i know you are a friendly person and your son is a chip off the old block, BUT please don't invite Cible to my home state.  With the recent migrations the South has enough problems.  BTW, will we see you after turkey season?
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Well its beter to nip this problem in the but before it starts to cost your grand parents money.  You do not have to shoot them.  Bait them into a trap or something on that order.  If it is the neibors dogs then call the law and file a report and show a loss.  OR if it were me and I have delt with simular issues I'd put out anti-freeze lots of it and if they come back well it will only be for one more visit plus there is no law against having anti-freeze on your property.

[img]http://www.diddybop.demon.co.uk/cccptch.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Hi again everyone.  Well as you can tell I haven't been here much since the new board went up.  

I just gotta jump in here.  Listen, if you are gonna dispose of these dogs, shoot em or live trap em.  I tell ya.  You shoot my dog on your property, I can understand. I would be sad, but I would more than understand if it was hurting your animals or livestock.  In the end, I would appologize for the actions of my dogs and the lack of my being a good owner.  You trap the thing and return it, (via yourself, police, or human society) and you won't ever see that dog on your property again or I would shoot it.

*However*, you poison my dog with anti freeze or rat poison?  You would be wishing, begging, crying for me to shoot you.  It is one thing to dispose of these dogs humanely and another just to be a prick.

Remember, I ain't no tree hugger or PETA member.  Just a good ole boy in the country.

Be straight, shoot straight.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#50]
 If you are sure it is the neighbor's dog causing the problem, notify law enforcement before you do anything. Most places give you the right to protct your animals from the dogs. Also any LEO that I know is going to help you with the problem. I have seen many people move from the city to rural area and think that it is OK for them to just let their dogs run loose causing problems with their neighbors, and then they come crying to the law because their dog doesn't come home some day or a deputy shows up at their home with a complaint.Do not use anti-freeze, that is not a humane way to kill anything and you will get animals that are totally innocent.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top