Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2009 9:16:39 AM EDT
Everyday I give my 2 dogs a fresh water bowl and at the end of the day there's always some green algae in it. Granted I live in the TX heat so is there any way to stop this from happening?
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean it....

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Bleach?
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Clean it....

Damn, beat to the punch.

Also, get stainless, the plastic ones harbor more algae
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#4]
avoid direct sunlight?
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah... I'm going to have the echo the cleaning sentiment here.

Algae won't grow in a day from a clean bowl.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
avoid direct sunlight?

and clean it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Clean it....

This.  

You may try using soap when you clean it as well if you do not have access to a dishwasher.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never seen that, even in the disgusting NJ heat/humidity.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep your fucking toe out of the dog bowl.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
avoid direct sunlight?

Impossible in my yard.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Clean it....

This?
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I have to leave water out for days or weeks before anything grows in it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow. Take care of this problem.

Green Algae will shut down a dogs internals and make them die a very painful death.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Clean it....

Everyday I wipe out the algae with my hand. It is a plastic dish so I'll try a metal one but with the way my yard is set up the bowl is going to get sunlight/heat for a few hours in the afternoon so this may heat the water up too much for them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#15]
even though it looks clean, there can sometimes be a slimy film on the bottom of the bowl.  Washing it out with dish soap once a week seems to keep my pooch's bowl from going green.  You being in TX, your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clean it....

Everyday I wipe out the algae with my hand. It is a plastic dish so I'll try a metal one but with the way my yard is set up the bowl is going to get sunlight/heat for a few hours in the afternoon so this may heat the water up too much for them.

Where is the water coming from ? Is it chlorinated, well water, or ?

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#17]
What the fuck is in your water?

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

seriously?

heat and humidity in NJ?

i hope this post is sarcasm.

I'd bet it's an odd day that sees 90 degrees way up there. Humidity, maybe since it's by the water..but heat? nah.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#19]
i have the same problem here. the cat's bowl turns green more or less in a day.

i'm on well water, and not particularly good water at that.

new bowl, metal, plastic, doesn't matter

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#20]
A copper bowl will discourage algae... copper is toxic to algae, so it cannot attach to the surface. Check with your vet first though to make sure the copper will not reach a level harmful to your dog, but I doubt it given the short residence time of the water in the bowl.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Use stainless steel bowls.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clean it....

it's a microorganism. You're not getting rid of it all.

Try a weekly routine of thorough cleaning with soap & water, followed by a short soak with a 10% bleach solution. Then allow it to dry in the sun COMPLETELY. Supplement with daily soap & water cleanings if necessary.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

seriously?

heat and humidity in NJ?

I'd bet it's an odd day that sees 90 degrees way up there. Humidity, maybe since it's by the water..but heat? nah.

Maybe not this summer but in previous yeah, plenty of 90+ degree 90% humidity days. Im sure nothing as bad as you tho. At least your air quality is probably better. I'll take South Carolina heat humidity anyday.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clean it....

Just your hand? Try doing it in the sink with soap or the dishwasher if you think it can handle it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clean it....

Where is the water coming from ? Is it chlorinated, well water, or ?

City water from the outside tap
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Clean it....

Just your hand? Try doing it in the sink with soap or the dishwasher if you think it can handle it.

I'll get my wife to jump right on that
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clean it....

Try a stainless steel bowl.  I'd guess the algae is embedded in the plastic.

Heck, try two bowls and run one through the dishwasher each day while the other is outside for the dogs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

avoid direct sunlight?

Impossible in my yard.

So where do your dogs go to get out of the sun?

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#29]
end well this will not

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

avoid direct sunlight?

Impossible in my yard.

Are you suggesting that you are leaving your dog(s) outside all day in the Texas heat with no shade?  I have a 3 gallon water dispenser outside that never gets algae.  I clean it with liquid dish soap (Dawn) about every 5 days.  The plastic bottle gets cleaned randomly with bleach and rinsed repeated many times.

I would suggest that you consider some way of providing shade to your dogs water and for them.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Wash the dog bowl out with Dawn and hot water and use a Brillo pad or something to really scrub it. That's what I did with my dog's outside bowl when he stayed outside in the fall.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Let em' drink out of swimming pool, pond or toilet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Everyday I give my 2 dogs a fresh water bowl and at the end of the day there's always some green algae in it. Granted I live in the TX heat so is there any way to stop this from happening?

My dog's bowl *is* green - but the water stays clear. I just give him clean (faucet) water every day, and rinse the bowl every couple of days.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

seriously?

heat and humidity in NJ?

I grew up across the river from NJ in DE, yes...  it gets hot and humid there, down here it's just hot and humid for a lot longer

OP, is there anyway for you to put up some sort of shelter and place the water bowl under it?
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Here in Oklahoma I put the dog water out with algae in it and it cleans itself.  Of course this is Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clean it....

Try bringing it into the house and washing it with soap and water. That's what springs to my mind when I think of cleaning the dogs dishes.

Wiping off the algae is only removing what you can see. Its still there.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I throw it in the dishwasher every week.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
avoid direct sunlight?

Impossible in my yard.

Are you suggesting that you are leaving your dog(s) outside all day in the Texas heat with no shade?  I have a 3 gallon water dispenser outside that never gets algae.  I clean it with liquid dish soap (Dawn) about every 5 days.  The plastic bottle gets cleaned randomly with bleach and rinsed repeated many times.

I would suggest that you consider some way of providing shade to your dogs water and for them.

They each have a dog house and there's a patch of small trees that they lay under during most of the day.

I just went out there and cleaned it again with a brush so we'll see what it looks like again tonight.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Clean it....

Try bringing it into the house and washing it with soap and water. That's what springs to my mind when I think of cleaning the dogs dishes.

Wiping off the algae is only removing what you can see. Its still there.

Who knew that using soap, water, and maybe even a clean rag would result in a clean water dish for my dog. Nah, I'll just wipe it with my hand and wonder why it never comes clean. The same hand I wipe my ass with, since I haven't figured out toilet paper.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I change the water at the same time I give her food, so at least twice a day.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Clean it....

You have to wash it out daily.  If you just add new water, it never gets clean.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I change the water at the same time I give her food, so at least twice a day.

Kharn

I "clean" mine every morning

I'll go out and get a stainless dish and see if that helps any.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#43]
i think copper tubing in the bowl stops it
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Put bacon in the water.

Don't know if that will help, but this is arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What the fuck is in your water?

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Build a small cover of some kind
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#46]
If my dogs have a choice between a brand new shiny bowl full of water and a hollowed out log full of black water and dead june bugs they'll generally go with the hollowed out log.Several of my dogs much prefer to stand in the bowl with at least one foot while drinking.

That said when their bowl gets algae in it I throw about 2 ounces of bleach in it and scrub it out with a brush, which seems to keep the algae away for a month or so.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If my dogs have a choice between a brand new shiny bowl full of water and a hollowed out log full of black water and dead june bugs they'll generally go with the hollowed out log.Several of my dogs much prefer to stand in the bowl with at least one foot while drinking.

That said when their bowl gets algae in it I throw about 2 ounces of bleach in it and scrub it out with a brush, which seems to keep the algae away for a month or so.

We used to not give them a water bowl, just fill up a kiddie pool with water and they'd stand in it while they drank the water

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Clean it....

This, just changing the water doesn't do it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
avoid direct sunlight?

Impossible in my yard.

This.

I have a covered patio and I don't even leave my dog outside in the afternoons. Its just too damn hot even with shade. I really wish I could find a pool for him, but I missed the early season inventory.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wow. Take care of this problem.

Green Algae will shut down a dogs internals and make them die a very painful death.

Your thinking of blue-green algae. What grows in water bowls is basic green algae, non-toxic, just slimey.

Chlorine bleach wil not kill the algae back enough to prevent it from coming back. Dish soap just feeds it. Use a virucide/bacteriaciide cleaner. We use OdoBan (Sams Club) to clean the kennel and bowls. It keeps the algae from coming back longer. Our retrievers have 5 gal. plastic buckets for water. When it gets hot they'll stand in them or just dump it over and lay in the water. They can grow algae in just three days even with chlorinated water.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top