Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 7:28:56 PM EDT
[url]http://www.vpc.org/hamilton.htm[/url]

Read their suggested sources and tell me they aren't looking for a one sided argument, what's more look who they are asking to participate in their quest to remove us of our rights.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]
What the hell. I think I will enter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
You don't stand a snow balls chance in hell.  They are unashamed of and have posted there bias in the rules.

5. Papers will be evaluated based on the following criteria: quality and clarity of writing; depth and rigor of the analysis and reasoning; the use of historical and judicial materials in a manner that is contextual, accurate, and thorough; and [b]fealty[/b] to the topic.

fealty-the duty and loyalty owed by a vassal or tenant to his feudal lord.  an oath of such loyalty.

Is it just me or do all these anti rights people seemed to have a holier than thou, a, a, what would you call it an elitism.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]

[b]Guns are terribly bad and citizens don't have a right to own them.[/b]
Now, having said that, we (VPC) will give you $3,000 if you write a 50-page paper to support that statement.

Sounds fair to me.

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What the hell. I think I will enter.
View Quote

Was thinking the same thing. I'd use the prize money on a case of cheapo guns: sks's and makarovs maybe :)
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I know what they're after, and they could have gotten it a lot easier.  Only two rules required:

(1) Here is what essay should say: "...text of essay..."

(2) First one to type it and submit it wins $3,000!

What a crock of shit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#7]
From VPC:
"Hamilton identified the differences between a well-regulated militia and a [b]widely armed populace[/b]."

Okay, here is my essay:

Page 1 -
"Little more can reasonably be aimed at, [b]with respect to the [u]people at large[/u], than to have them properly armed and equipped;[/b] and in order to see that this be not neglected, it will be necessary to assemble them once or twice in the course of a year." ~ Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #29

Page 2- VPC, you are WRONG about Hamilton. Therefore, your underlying foundation for this essay contest is false and bogus. You have created a fraudulent presuppostion upon which to award a cash prize.

Page 3- Since you are in error and all other supporting essays submitted are likewise bogus, I hereby claim your prize.  Now give me the money. [uzi]

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]Hamilton was himself a [red]victim[/red] of handgun violence. He was shot with a pistol by Aaron Burr in an 1804 duel.[/b]

Hummmmmm...sound logical reasoning, these VPC chaps should show an unbias opinion when reviewing the papers [puke]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[b]Hamilton was himself a [red]victim[/red] of handgun violence. He was shot with a pistol by Aaron Burr in an 1804 duel.[/b]
View Quote

That's like counting Harris and Kleibold as [b]victims[/b] of the "Columbine Shooting".

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
These bozos need to be exposed.  Who are some good conservative TV commentators who might be interested in this "contest"?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#11]
We should collectively write an essay picking out all of the arguements that VPC puts out, and refuting the cases and sources they list!  We could all submit a paragraph or page, listing citations, and send it it, just to see what happens.  I know it probably won't be much, but let's see!  Kbaker could contribute a lot, I bet!

M@
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We should collectively write an essay picking out all of the arguements that VPC puts out, and refuting the cases and sources they list!  We could all submit a paragraph or page, listing citations, and send it it, just to see what happens.  I know it probably won't be much, but let's see!  Kbaker could contribute a lot, I bet!

M@
View Quote
Thanks for thinking of me, but I'm not a law student, and I doubt they'd consider my contribution as showing sufficient [i]fealty[/i] to the theme.

Tempting as it is....
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#13]
KBaker,

I think it would be pointless... they'd probably get a paragraph into our paper, and throw it out, or disqualify it, because it wouldn't fit their preconceived notions.  
I just hope VPC isn't pushing this out to children and young people, trying to indoctrinate them into their line of thought.

M@
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#14]
According to the call, the paper is to be from current law students.  The VPC only wants to brainwash future politicians, apparently.

I'd be really interested to know just how many people (besides Tom Diaz) actually make up the Violence Policy Center.  I've read as few as four, but I don't have any confirmation of that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#15]
How interesting that they reserve the right to award no prize at all.  (translation - thanks for doing all of our research for us for free)

I like the note regarding the use of "historical and judicial materials" but failed to mention the (pre)judicial materials they are citing as primary references.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#16]
How interesting that they reserve the right to award no prize at all. (translation - thanks for doing all of our research for us for free)
View Quote

That's because they're strapped for cash.

I think we ought to bombard them with BS essays just to give them a pain in the ass.  Just copy articles from gun magazines, etc. and submit them.  Similar to the great idea someone had of donating a penny at a time to the Brady Campaign.  That I thought was brilliant.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
These bozos need to be exposed.  Who are some good conservative TV commentators who might be interested in this "contest"?
View Quote

If it's radio that's easy, G. Gordon Liddy.   An email should do it if he reads them, calling you'd have to get past the screeners and this sort of thing might not interest them due to topical discussions.   But in an email with links provided I think Liddy would love to work it in, he's just stubborn enough to want to lock horns with these folks.    I miss listening to his show, the local IDIOTS in the radio stations took him off the listings so now I can only pick him up on occasion while I'm out of town and get a decent radio station.

As for the topic, I didn't know if it was gonna get many posts or not but I'm glad to see everyone saw the same things as I did.   I kinda suspected the VPC was running out of sources for their rhetoric, their little contest should get them some new arguments while having the additional benefit of looking official or carrying weight because it was written by some law school student who might be a graduate by the time they publish their ground breaking discovery.

Oh, and as for the reason I titled this thread "puke time" is because of the fact that they want to devote this contest to Hamliton.   Doesn't it make you want to pull your hair out by the roots?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm... I don't know.  $3000 can buy a lot of guns...
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I could win this.  Let's put on our devils advocate hats and write something they'll swallow, hook, line and sinker.  Then give the $3000 bucks to the GOA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#20]
How about writing the paper to their specifications with information that cannot be found because it was made up. Then refute the information as falsified, kind of like Bellesilles book.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top