Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 12:47:00 PM EDT
Oly went bye bye?  Has it been removed since they started their own owners association?  What gives?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
An earlier post suggested they got tired of paying the freight.  If its as high as quoted (100 a month?) can't say I blame them.  Time consuming to keep on top off.  And expensive to boot.  Noticed Rock River never bought into it either.

The industry forums almost become a second website for these companies.  Most have enough trouble keeping on top of their own.  

Just my thoughts

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
It seems like the "real" companies are disappearing.  As this site loses the support of manufactures, it becomes less worth while to come here.

The "real" manufacturers should have a spot reserved for them, whether they pay or not.  AR15.com gets a lot more having people access the site because of these manufacturers than they do from not having them.

mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The "real manufacturers" are leaving???  So ArmaLite, Bushmaster, and Colt are not "real" manufacturers.  One hundred dollars a month is a drop in the bucket.  What a bunch of whining from a bunch of newbies.  If Oly chooses not to be here, I am not going to criticize them for it, but don't insinuate that the ones leaving are the "real" ones and the ones that are staying aren't.  Stop wishing ill will on the board because Oly chooses not to be here.  It is just as worthwhile to come here with or without the manufacturers.  ArmaLite has their own website and a spot here and they aren't whining.  I normally go to their website for info on their product.  I get very little here in that respect.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Well said.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#5]
As this site loses the support of manufactures, it becomes less worth while to come here.
View Quote

I think that some members mis-understand why the manufacturers have their own section here.

How many times have you seen a member complain in the industry forum because they had trouble with a company's shipping/customer service/quality control/etc without bothering to go to the company directly to resolve it?

AR15.com is not (yet, anyway![;)])the magic portal to solve all mfgr. qualms you may have, unless you think that airing out the issue on a third-party board will solve it...personally, if I had a problem, I'd get on the phone to get the problem solved. My .02.  squib
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The "real manufacturers" are leaving???  So ArmaLite, Bushmaster, and Colt are "real" manufacturers.  One hundred dollars a month is a drop in the bucket.
View Quote

So you saying that Colt is paying the $100 a month fee?  Have you directly dealt with Colt in the past?  They are like a very large corporation, nothing comes easy.

Based upon my past expierence and others, I would speculate that Colt have not and will not pay the $100.  Just speculation mind you based upon expierence dealing with them...

In regards to real manufacturers, Take a look at the "REAL" manufacturers that were here vs. today.  It has been going down and down, yet I see a few companies "appear" as manufacturers.  Good for them, if they are really manufacturers...  To have "REAL" manufacturers disappear makes AR15.com less valuable, IMHO.

In the end, will BM and a few assembling companies be all that is left?

This is not an Oly left problem, but a lot of the manufacturers no longer have a forum.

Who needs who here?

The manufacturers do not need AR15.COM as much as AR15.COM needs the manufacturers.

$100 bucks is not a big deal, you are correct, but most manufacturers felt it was not worth the money or they would have paid it.  A year from now, will Armalite, DPMS and Colt also no longer be around?  When BM pulls out, will that wake people up?

Just trying to ring the bell to wake up the captain of the ship...

mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I see both sides of the issue here, on the one hand I can't fault the owner/s of this site for wanting a little help in running a site dedicated to a product that they don't make any money off of.  At the same time having the manufacturers here compliments the site and available information, sure you can go directly to the manufacturer to get the info but it sure is nice to be able to get it here, since alot of us spend a considerable amount of time here.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#8]
On the other claw, why pay $1200 per year when you can set up your own forum, free, on any number of websites?  Most of the companies already have their own websites anyway, so it's just one more page to add.

I've set up a few forums for people using WWWBoard, and it takes roughly five minutes, ten if I make a typo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#9]
That's what I did: [url]www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/board/board/11341.htm[/url] It's super-simple!

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In the end, will BM and a few assembling companies be all that is left?
View Quote
I don't know about Colt, but ArmaLite is hardly an "assembly" company.  They manufacturer their own uppers and lowers.  They may get some parts farmed out, particularly on the 180B, but they are no more an "assembly" company than BM.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I read every single post in the Oly forum and I considered the expertise they offered to be a serious draw to this site.  This allowed me to contact whatever manufacturer I wanted without having to scrounge all over the net just to do so.  This takes away from the utility of this site IMHO.  There is one less thing here that keeps me coming back.

BTW - $1200 per year may sound like very little, but I know that I would never be able to convince my boss of that if I were in a position to choose.  To some companies it may be worth it, but to others it most certainly isn't.  I wouldn't want to go to bat for something like that...
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On the other claw, why pay $1200 per year when you can set up your own forum, free, on any number of websites?
View Quote

Because THIS is the AR15 hub, the AR15 site by which all others are compared (Sorry Forest).

One stop shopping (for information) all at one great website.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I read every single post in the Oly forum and I considered the expertise they offered to be a serious draw to this site.  This allowed me to contact whatever manufacturer I wanted without having to scrounge all over the net just to do so.  This takes away from the utility of this site IMHO.  There is one less thing here that keeps me coming back.

BTW - $1200 per year may sound like very little, but I know that I would never be able to convince my boss of that if I were in a position to choose.  To some companies it may be worth it, but to others it most certainly isn't.  I wouldn't want to go to bat for something like that...
View Quote
Does Oly have a customer forum at their website?  ArmaLite does.  I go to both.  Just a few keystrokes.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#15]
The "tax man" wants more taxes...
The "citizens" chose not to pay...

How do you like it when your taxes go up ?
How would you like it if you were told to pay for something you previously got for free ?

I'm not surprised they are gone...
(RRA, OLY, POI)

I'd be pissed & leave too...

No flame intended to the "management"
I understand this place costs money, & you do what you have to do to keep costs covered...

I soon will join the membership here like many others, but only "voluntarily", when I'm ready...

I've certainly gotten $60 worth of advice from here...
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I think that this site should be viewed by the Manufacturers less as "advertising" and more as providing a [u]presence[/u],  where they can showcase their products to the informed masses.

To me,  a manufacturer has [b]much[/b] more credibility by having a presence here, than not.  I only buy from credible sources...
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does Oly have a customer forum at their website?  ArmaLite does.  I go to both.  Just a few keystrokes.  No big deal.
View Quote

I remember a post a couple of weeks ago about an "Oly Owner's Group" website.  They probably set up a forum over there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the other claw, why pay $1200 per year when you can set up your own forum, free, on any number of websites?
View Quote

Because THIS is the AR15 hub, the AR15 site by which all others are compared (Sorry Forest).

One stop shopping (for information) all at one great website.
View Quote

So?  That and three bucks will buy you a tall mocha latte at Starbucks.  (I think.  I don't drink that crap.)

If it's such a great hub, why have only two people on this thread paid their voluntary dues to AR15.com??  (I have an excuse -- I'm rapidly heading toward living in a cardboard box if the Seattle tech economy doesn't pick up soon.)  Why do you expect Oly to pay -- and to pay a staffer to monitor the board -- when almost nobody else here has?

Personally, I think the customer should pay.  That means us.  If anything, Oly should be paid to be here, to draw in people who want to pay a membership fee so they can [img]http://members-http-1.rwc1.sfba.home.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/BS1.gif[/img], post nudie pix, and rant about how Colt/Bushmaster/Eagle/Taurus is superior to all other AR-15 manufacturers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok since this is a somewhat controversial issue I will chime in.
View Quote

Thankyou for taking the time to respond..  I do see where you are coming from ad have ried to see both sides of the issue.

Did Colt and the others pay the $100 per month?

mark
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Great Question Budaman.
Well Goatboy, what say ye?
Has Col't bellied up to the bar yat with their $100.00 per month??

If AR15 sets the rules, shouldn't they be equally enforced?
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Colt is special.  Colt is good.  Leave Colt alone.  

Who cares about uniformity?  If the powers that be on this site find that the lost revenue by allowing Colt (which would otherwise pack up) to stay without paying, then that's all we need to know.  

Is anyone here going to get pissed off if Colt doesn't pay the $100?  (Excluding Goatcheese) [;)]  We all benefit, including the site for having a forum for Colt to hear our bitching, praise and suggestions.  

Plus, if Colt or any other company had to pay for being at this site, I think on every gun we buy, we'd be paying more and I've found it very difficult to fight the bums on Broadway for the street pennies these days!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great Question Budaman.
Well Goatboy, what say ye?
Has Col't bellied up to the bar yat with their $100.00 per month??

[red]If AR15 sets the rules, shouldn't they be equally enforced?[/red]
View Quote

Far be it from me to question GB's affairs, but I too am very, very interested in this.  Colt, as a company, certainly is no better than any other.  I do not see them going to any lengths to do squat within the community and would be very surprised to see them "pony up" any monthly fee.  So, if I am not out of line for asking, do they?  
View Quote

I would not comment on whether or not you are out of line for asking but, don't hold your breath waiting for a response.  The most intellegent comment I see above is "If AR15(.com) sets the rules" point being they do and can modify or change them at anytime they see fit.  The key is they pay the bills.  If I am a guest in someone's house, I don't question how they mow the lawn.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have stated our stance and the WHY's of this in a previous post. While I don't think I need to justify or explain our relationship with companies like Colt and Armalite...
View Quote

Exactly my point... GB keep up the good work, and don't let 'em give you any shit about your ponytail.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:57:49 AM EDT
[#30]
[b]"I'm pretty open about discussing things, but I also know that people have to respect situations they know nothing about and respect that not all business relationships are completed in a day."[/b]

I like that. And thanks for taking the time to tell it like it is. As for the BK, he's up for lashes, no?

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I WILL support those companies who support this site!

Too bad KAC can't get on board here as well as they certainly have something at stake with their commercial accounts...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top