Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 10:22:46 AM EDT
I have met a few gun owners and I find the common thing between use is the want to know how things work.be it guns,cars anything nmechanical.

I find sometimes i buy things  for the curiousity of how they work.

Are you folks like me???

Jim
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I most definately fit this profile.  Most other shooters I have met do also.  There are exceptions to every rule though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Ummm, yup.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=73555[/url]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, might want to check out the nerds with guns thread.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#7]
i buy things for the curiousity of how they work.
View Quote

Same here.  I bought a Marlin Model 60, because it was a relatively cheap way for me to figure-out how a blow-back semi-auto works.  After working on a few bolt actions for friends, I wanted to learn more.

ar15.com seems middle of the road for inquisitive types.  The gunsmithing forum at l1a1.com is pretty hard-core.  WECSOG forever!  On the other end of the spectrum is the Kel-Tec mailing list.  I've been flamed several times before for asking about non-Kel-Tec replacement parts.  The usual answer when someone asks a question about a failure is to send the pistol back.  Because only a very limited number of people are allowed to ship handguns via USPS and UPS requires handguns be shipped overnight, shipping a Kel-Tec back is an expensive hassle.  Also, UPS no longer accepts handguns from third parties (like Mailboxes, Etc.) and many local UPS managers don't take guns at their local counter, so finding a way to ship it can be a pain in the neck.  I had a spring fail that probably costs 20 cents to make, and these guys recommend spending $40+ and dealing with Kel-Tec to get it fixed.z
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
rugger got me in to watches recently.. I've been interested in automatics... I think I'll get some books at the library.  I already ordered up my first Seiko auto diver with the help of him.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm definately the mechanical type. I actually like cars more then guns, but it is pretty close. My cousin is the exact opposite of me - he has to know how to take apart every little thing on all of his guns but he won't mess with his truck at all. Takes it to the shop for oil changes. I always ride him about that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome, Meat-man Jim.

I also am mechanically inclined.  Not necessarily coordinated or skilled, but I've always been one to take things apart and (usually) get them back together.

I've worked on cameras a bit, cars a lot.I own and a bunch of tools including a milling machine.  Have rebuilt several car engines.

I have bought many things just out of curiosity.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Affirm. Never miss a genuine opportunity.......To tear something apart, see how it works, try to improve on it. Built my computer, didn't know a bit from a byte 6mo ago. Hell, when I bought my Brigeport mill, I coudn't leave it alone, tore it apart and custom painted it. Rebuilt it while i was at it.
Thats why I refuse to buy a new truck, I would have it tore apart the first day to make it into a prerunner! LOL.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I fall into that catagory.
I'm not sure when it started.
I've been taking things apart and putting them back together since I can remember.
I am a Mechanical Contractor and I'm not sure I'd be happy doing anything else.
Andy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top