Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 4:30:27 AM EDT
Registration of New Domain: cheaply?

I currently own two internet domains and I am looking at getting another.  One of my current domains [url]www.Quarterbore.com[/url] is currently hosted by [url]geocities.com[/url] while my second domain was registered with [url]www.yournamefree.com[/url] and is nothing more than a free service that forwards E-Mail and Web hits to a free webpage that I have at [url]msnhomepages.talkcity.com/msn/main/index.html[/url].

The two domains that I have were registered about three to four years ago and now there are many more options available.  At this time, I am looking to simply find a good place to register a new domain that will forward my E-Mail and redirect to a free webpage somewhere on the net.  

Following are a few places that I have looked at....

[url]www.mydomain.com[/url]
[url]www.yournamefree.net[/url]
[url]www.godaddy.com[/url]

How about some opinions on the best place to register a domain, who to use to park the domain, and should I use the web forwarding or just spring for a full domain hosting package?  

Please help!

Eddited to add a few more links I have found and looked at...

[url]www.catalog.com[/url]
[url]www.namezero.com[/url]
[url]www.register.com[/url]
[url]www.namedemo.com[/url]

Also, following is a very good general link about domain registrations and more...

[url]http://www.cnet.com/internet/0-3799.html?tag=stbc.gp[/url]

Following is a list of expired domains, [url]https://www.dotster.com/Register/ExpiredDomains[/url] that could be yours!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently got my first domain name...on the advice on one of my programmer friends, I went with Verio.com. The biggest and best.
I was warned about name jumping that happens with other companies. They also have good packages for anything else you might want---space,hosted sites, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]

I plan on registering my own domain name also.

It will be "www.dotcom.com" just for the hell of it [:D]

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]
QB:

I use [url]www.DirectNic.com[/url] to register domains.  I think it's $15 per year, but web hosting and email forwarding costs extra (I don't use them for those things).  I've had very good service from them...

I can't help you with low-cost hosting, though.  I don't know of any good low-cost hosting companies, but I'm interested to see if anyone else does...

SAB
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I use myinternet.com (mydomain.com) They are cheap and that is all that matters to me as long as they take care of fowarding my email and web requests.

Downside is it seems like forever once you register for your site to come online. You can have a site online quickly if you use their provider and simply get your own DNS Servers. But, lacking that you have to wait for their DNS Servers to update. There is also a delay when updating your domain records. It is annoying more than anything else.

My domains are:

[url]http://www.noreno.org[/url]
[url]http://www.mcaug.com[/url] (Redirected to FSN, so I don't have to remember their address)

I use subdomains to point to my home computer, but since Cox has taken over from Excite@Home I now have fucking DHCP. TOTALLY SUCKS. So, I have to use the No-Ip Client and redirect to [url]http://noreno.no-ip.com:800[/url]

Worst part is the assholes at Cox designed the Network with 24 Hour DHCP Leases and worse yet, it possitively will NOT renew a lease. So, you a forced to get a new IP Address every 24 hours, which is the opposite of what they tell you when you bitch at them for going to DHCP. "Your IP will not change except in a rare case." BS, it has changed 3 or 4 times a day at times. It now changes every 24 hours and is designed that way.

[/RANT]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I plan on registering my own domain name also.

It will be "www.dotcom.com" just for the hell of it [:D]

View Quote

Network Solutions already owns that domain...
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I went with [url]www.featureprice.com[/url].

Domain registration was $25 and their mini web hosting package is $4.95/mo for a 50mb.  This is plenty of space for my little family web page (I think I'm at 6mb right now).  The domain was registered and active within a day and the following day I had my page uploaded.  You can have your e-mail forwarded or create new boxes on their server.

I was a total newbie to web pages and they made it really easy to get started.  You can find cheaper name registration but their monthly hosting rate and the fact that I don't have banners all over my page did it for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I went with GoDaddy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top