Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2002 5:01:30 AM EDT
Sometimes you come across things that make you say "What the heck is this all about?"

Recently I ran across two such cases related to the FOID card.

I note there is a bill awaiting the governor's signature that will mandate FOID holders be background checked every six months. Think on that. What could be the purpose of such a thing except to find more gun owners to seize guns from? Isn't it a fact that to buy a gun today you have to be checked anyway? Hard to see what good the FOID does except act as a mechanism to either arrest gun owners or deprive them of their rights and privacy. So how did this law ever get to the governors desk without some kind of a fight?

Turns out there is a provision in the law to allow out of state residents participating in shotgun oriented competitions to buy shotgun shells without a FOID. Ah Ha! The I$RA trades on our FOID cards to get a law they need to support their number one function which is: Competitive Shooting and NOT gun rights. Wonder what they would trade away for a 1000 yard range?

The second thing that happened is that one of our members got his gun confiscated in a domestic dispute. One of those minor things, no one hurt, but the cops got involved. He lost is 9mm. Court came, charges dismissed. Goes to get his gun and FOID back. Guess what? One of the sheriff's who responded did not like his "attitude." He had DuPage Sheriff John Zaruba send a letter to the ISP saying he felt this man was "Potentially Violent." and so his FOID card is REVOKED! No more guns for him.

What medical school did Sheriff Zaruba graduate from that he can make such clinical diagnosis? Here's the deal, you get into a heated discussion with a cop, maybe he has it coming. But he plays the trump card and has his chief send a letter saying you are dangerous. Adios guns, adios due process.

This FOID card is bad law, but it gives the I$RA trading material for their shooting sports initiatives. Expect it to get a lot worse, before it get better.

As to the member who lost his FOID? He's a decorated combat Marine with no record.

MAYOR DALEY'S DEATH CLOCK now stands at 5 with the murder of Mr. Timothy Lewis.

http://www.friendsofliberty.com/concealedcarry/2002/012802.htm
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't every human "potentially dangerous"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top