Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/29/2002 4:23:33 AM EDT
...for a few months. The day has finally arrived, I am putting a 10-year disconnect past me. I leave today to go through Basic Training (again) at Ft. Knox, KY. I will then go to Ft. Lee, VA for a 3-week pre-qual course to become a parachute Rigger. Then, due to a pogue E-7 at MEPS (who is unable to show me the regs regarding the revocation of a permenant award, namely the Basic Parachutist Badge) I supposedly have to go to Ft. Benning and Basic Airborne Training again (I have a notarized copy of my diploma from said School, copies of my orders to Ft. Bragg from 1987 for my assignment as 11H1P, or Infantryman, TOW Gunner, Parachutist, and a letter of recommendation from my old 1SG/CSM). Hopefully, I can square away this little bit of BS with the 71L that initiates my 201 file, avoiding the BAT and just taking Jump refresher at the Rigger school. Thanks goes out to all of you. For the past year, I have been unemployed (other than making a few knives for active duty SOF guys, and that even came to a halt after some local punks destroyed my forge) while trying to get numerous waivers and a job I can deal with. I wanted Infantry again, but this hitch is only 3 years so not a problem. I will be at Bragg sometime around May/June, and there for the next 16 years at least. You guys have kept me sane when the bills piled high, and the morale dropped low. My wife will continue to live in our house here in Clinton, TN, as she has a great career in the IT field with Bechtel. This is hard, but service means sacrifice, and we both know and understand this. It took ten long years to realize that I was only truly happy serving my country- even when I made $80K/yr+ doing site admin for a major mortgage company I was unhappy. I plan on getting on the Ft. Bragg shooting team, and will be back online when I get to Bragg. God bless, and thank you all! Don (SoonToBe92R1P)Out
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:27:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:39:41 AM EDT
Gods speed and may your new avocation bring happiness, honor, and fulfillment to your lives.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:49:08 AM EDT
Thanks again! I'll be monitoring until the last minute- recruiter guy picks me up about 1530 hrs today [rolleyes] (as if my wife could not take me to the roach motel tonight...)
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:57:09 AM EDT
Good luck and post your address where you're going to be! also thanks for the M1A mags and ammo and tools!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:59:29 AM EDT
Strange about the jump shool thing. Do you still have your jumps log? Heck my last jump was in jump school in 1995. In a few years the odds are I still won't have had one. How does staying active duty somehow now allow me to stay jump qualified. Odd. Sounds like you left the Army about when I enlisted. I will be curious to hear your impression about how things have changed. Good luck. Oh, and keep your feet and knees together. Adam
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:01:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:05:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By satcong: Good luck and post your address where you're going to be! also thanks for the M1A mags and ammo and tools!
View Quote
No Problem! I'll have the wife post the address once I get assigned to a class. Found out I get 2 weeks of sensativity training, and only 1 week of weapons training! LOL!!! Abdul, do you need a hug before I bayonette you in the guts?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:06:11 AM EDT
This is the most extreme way I've heard of to escape Helen Hammer! Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:07:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2002 5:08:43 AM EDT by 11H1P]
Originally Posted By Adam_White: Strange about the jump shool thing. Do you still have your jumps log? Heck my last jump was in jump school in 1995. In a few years the odds are I still won't have had one. How does staying active duty somehow now allow me to stay jump qualified. Odd. Sounds like you left the Army about when I enlisted. I will be curious to hear your impression about how things have changed. Good luck. Oh, and keep your feet and knees together. Adam
View Quote
Don't have a copy of the log (my bad) but I do have 3 DD214s that state the award (the second one is my release from the NG that actually lists the schools and dates), as well as notarized copies of my Infantry School and BAT School diplomas... Don Out
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:08:24 AM EDT
One thing I was going to do for you is to print out on paper some of the more interesting threads here on Ar15.com and send them to you in school where you might not have the time/resources to read the board....is that something you would want?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:09:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By satcong: One thing I was going to do for you is to print out on paper some of the more interesting threads here on Ar15.com and send them to you in school where you might not have the time/resources to read the board....is that something you would want?
View Quote
OH, Yeah!!! It will be fun to be the oldest guy in the cycle....
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:25:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:27:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By anothergene: I shoveled coal in '66 at Ft. Benning for heat, hope ya dont have to go back there for a redo. Sounds like we are in good hands, thank you and best wishes!
View Quote
I would not be opposed to doing it again, as it is all time toward retirement, but WHY??? Damn, I was born in '66! I suddenly don't feel so old anymore![:D]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:41:33 AM EDT
Good luck and Godspeed, stud. We're glad to have you back out at the pointy end of the spear, and The Airborne should be glad to have you too. Take care, and don't forget us.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:41:52 AM EDT
Congratulations on your goals. I decided to join the reserves at 37. After an age waiver I went to basic, as the oldest guy there. It's not so bad but I would not want to do it again. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:48:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:56:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer: i pulled basic there in 87. Have fun with those hills [:D] mike
View Quote
No problem- I've been "practicing" with an 80-lb ruck on the ridges around here... MWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:57:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22: Good luck and Godspeed, stud. We're glad to have you back out at the pointy end of the spear, and The Airborne should be glad to have you too. Take care, and don't forget us.
View Quote
Hey, man, come to the dark side... Don't you deep down really miss it???!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:02:36 AM EDT
You have my congratulations & best wishes in your decision. Remember that we are all "brothers" (& sisters!) here, so try to keep in touch. Stay safe! Tyler
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:04:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:06:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:07:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2002 6:08:06 AM EDT by 11H1P]
Thanks, all. Gotta go for a couple of hours, I'll sign back on then. I hear that they now have cable connections and individual phone lines in the barracks rooms- so I'll be online when I get to Bragg (althought with only my measly 56K connection- no DSL there yet [:X*])
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:09:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer: i pulled basic there in 87. Have fun with those hills [:D] mike
View Quote
Me too..in '88. Remember, there's beer at the top of that hill! QS
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:19:41 AM EDT
Good Luck Bro................. I am awaiting my own ship date as I type. Waivers are fun huh? Finally for myself, at the age of 35, I am taking the course I should have taken 15 years ago. Hindsight as they say.......... My basic will be at Fort Lake In The Woods and AIT (MP) will follow consecutively. Hope I have access when I go. You are doing the right thing..............take care and give em' hell!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:24:41 AM EDT
OUTSTANDING!! [beer] SRM
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:43:25 AM EDT
Good luck 11H1P I did them hills in 1977. If you are in shape they aint so bad. They really didn't bother me, but because of what I saw them do to some of the guys I will always remember Agony,Heartbreak and Misery. Give them Hell
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:56:01 AM EDT
Good luck, GODSPEED, check those risers!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:59:09 AM EDT
Goodluck, keep safe and kiss your wife for understanding, she must be an angel! [0:)]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:22:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Minman72: Goodluck, keep safe and kiss your wife for understanding, she must be an angel! [0:)]
View Quote
Yes she is- the very best gift God gave to me!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:41:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2002 7:44:46 AM EDT by pakrat]
Don, Man, you got to be one ballsy SOB! To go back to Bragg after knowing all the crap, dog and pony shows they put us all through. Maybe it's a bit differant with a CinC who gives a damn. I left the 1/505 in '93. It was good but after being out for awhile and seeing how the real world is, don't think I could go back full time active again. I'm in the Guard and that's about as close as we need to come. But, there is something about being in the service of one's country that makes it all worth it. Good luck! It will be a cake walk, being a prior service vet, the Drills will pretty much leave you alone and more than likely will allow you to run the show on a limited basis, so that they can take much needed time off. God speed, my friend. Don't let the pogues win! Remember your three point landing when all else fails. Feet, ass and head! May your jumps always have a full canopy, no steamers and your landings, as easy as the softness of your bed. You and your wife will be in my prayers! Pakrat - OUT!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:54:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:17:01 AM EDT
Every man should go through basic. No one should have to do it twice. Thank you for your service. Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:27:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 11H1P:
Originally Posted By Adam_White: Strange about the jump shool thing. Do you still have your jumps log? Heck my last jump was in jump school in 1995. In a few years the odds are I still won't have had one. How does staying active duty somehow now allow me to stay jump qualified. Odd. Sounds like you left the Army about when I enlisted. I will be curious to hear your impression about how things have changed. Good luck. Oh, and keep your feet and knees together. Adam
View Quote
Don't have a copy of the log (my bad) but I do have 3 DD214s that state the award (the second one is my release from the NG that actually lists the schools and dates), as well as notarized copies of my Infantry School and BAT School diplomas... Don Out
View Quote
11H1P How Long have you been out of division? When was your last jump? Contact me when you get here (Bragg) I work as an AIR here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:11:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:38:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EdAvilaSr: [b]11H1P [/b] Good luck to you on rebecoming "birdshit" [:)] ....it takes one to know one![;)] I knew you had to retrain sooner or later when I saw you leave out 2 "jump commands" on your signature line![;)] Pack them good.Remember YOu have to use one of your own rigs! {:)] Take care bud,and don't break contact! Strike Hold! Ed
View Quote
Hey, now, I only left them out because some REMF decision maker at AR15.com only allows 100 character max on the sig line![>Q] Thanx Ed, it means a lot!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:43:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2002 9:44:09 AM EDT by 11H1P]
Originally Posted By acftgrunt:
Originally Posted By 11H1P:
Originally Posted By Adam_White: 11H1P How Long have you been out of division? When was your last jump? Contact me when you get here (Bragg) I work as an AIR here.
View Quote
Last in Division in '89. D Co. 2/505 PIR I tried to get my mom to send me the original 201 file, but time did not allow for that... Last jump was somewhere around Sept. '89. I'm having my wife post my address in BT at Knox, should be end of next week. Thanx, bro! Gotta run, last minute checks to do. I'll write any who write me, plus I'll send updates to [b]satcong[/b] to post here in GD. Time to [b]"STAND IN THE DOOR!"[/b] WOOHOO!!!! Don Out
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:34:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2002 10:35:42 AM EDT by Jarhead_22]
I remember mail call at Parris Island. If mail call at Ft. Knox is anything like it, we need to take up a collection to send Don an inflatable sheep or a box of panty liners. The Drill Instructors have a great sense of humor and laugh right along with the recruits! [b]NOT!![/B] Seriously, when Don's new address is posted, don't send him anything but words written on white paper in a plain white envelope. Guys who stand out, like the one whose mom sent him big jars of vitamins, become targets. Stand out: bad Blend in: good
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:39:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2002 10:41:26 AM EDT by netrig]
Good luck brother and thanks for your support. I was stationed at Fort Lee almost twenty years ago, hope it hasen't changed much I had a good time there. even though you are going Army " Semper Fi " anyway [marines]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 11:01:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2002 11:04:56 AM EDT by 11H1P]
It's time. Thanx for the words, guys, and please, like Jarhead said, plain white paper, plain white envelopes. I'll do my writing on Sundays, because I won't have much free time. I'm honored to have gyrenes give me a Semper Fi. Don Out. Really. (Edited to add this P.S.) P.S. One of you guys please monitor [url]www.paratrooper.net[/url] and send me copies of the "Pvt Murphy" comic strip- that there is some funny shyte!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 11:18:06 AM EDT
I wish you well 11H1P! MAN, are you ready to be the "old" guy around there? Jump School, I kinda liked it...for a while but I bet there's no more..."HIT the hole pole man, hit the hole!" I really hope it turns out to be just what you want it to be, enjoy! Take care! And may you fare well!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:47:53 PM EDT
You've probably already left, but good luck and thanks! Maybe I'll run into you in a couple years....
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:09:53 PM EDT
Good Luck to you. I left Bragg in '95 and only got out of the Army 2 months ago. I've been having doubts about my decision ever since. Except for the times when I'm holding my 2 year old son I guess. Good luck to you, Strike Hold!
Top Top