Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2002 9:50:31 PM EDT
Anyone else get these pleading messages from Nigerian and Angolan con men? I must have gotten on some list because in the last week I have gotten about seven of these.  

They all follow the same format.  I and my company were recommended to the sender as a person and company of distinction and discretion.  They have some fabulous amount of money which is inaccessible to them but which could flow through my bank account to the benefit of us both.  The money is inevitably illegal (skimmed from the national oil company accounts or money the last dictator sent to buy arms against the then rebels).  Of course, the deal is 100% risk free.  (Sure, that's why I'm going to get $$25 million as my cut.)  The latest one asks me to fly to Abidjan in the Ivory Coast to get $75 million out of the security company and into an overseas bank account.  Right.  Anyone who falls for this scam should save his family money and buy a one-way ticket because he is not going to make it out of the jungle.  

Just in case any of you think that $25 million sounds good, the Nigerian government is fed up with these scams and is running full page ads in major newspapers warning people.

Any ideas about how to get rid of these pests?

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It's total BS, I was promised $25 mil and only got $3.2 [;d]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any ideas about how to get rid of these pests?

View Quote

Sure...send them your money...you'll never hear from them again. Ga-ron-teed. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I got one the other day as well and was talking to another guy at work and he was reading something about it on the secret service website. I forwarded the email along with the full header to the secret service.

Funny thing was, this guy that was wanting to send $6M to my bank account was emailing me from a free yahoo email account.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to get them in the mail all the time.  It got to be a joke in the office to try to guess how big the amount was, 10, 15, 18, 25, 30 million.

They were even using conterfeit stamps to send them out.  I remember a news report of a ton or more of these type letters being stopped at a NY airport.

Now get more by email. Mostly from Nigeria but also from other areas of west Africa. Have a stock email I send telling them I'd love to participate after I check them out with the FBI & Internet Fraud Complaint Center. I cc the IFCC.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Ummmm, You mean these emails arent real?  Im not going to get 25 million dollars?  I had better email them fast and ask them to return the $25,000 that I sent them last week.  They did say that there was a money back guarantee if I was not completely satisfied.  Im sure that these are nice men and will be all to happy to return my "investment", as they put it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top