Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/27/2002 2:50:46 PM EDT
And it's on top of the box office chart. Not bad.....read the last paragraph for the POTUS. LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Mission accomplished for ``Black Hawk Down.'' The gritty military thriller ruled the North American box office in its second weekend of wide release, according to studio estimates issued Sunday, while five new films jostled for attention in the top 10. Rather than cannibalize each other, the rookies helped drive overall box office sales higher. ``Black Hawk Down,'' British director Ridley Scott's depiction of a bad day for the U.S. military in Somalia in 1993, grossed about $18.2 million for the three days beginning Jan. 25, taking the film's total to $60.1 million. The film was released by Columbia Pictures, a unit of Sony Corp.. Another new film, ``The Mothman Prophecies'' (Screen Gems), a thriller starring Richard([b]QUEER[/b]) Gere, opened at No. 4 with $11.8 million. ``A Beautiful Mind'' (Universal), which picked up four Golden Globe Awards last Sunday, followed close behind with $11.7 million. Rankings could change when final data are issued Monday. Among the other rookies: ``The Count of Monte Cristo'' (Touchstone) opened at No. 6 with $11.5 million; ``I never thought I'd be thrilled to have a film open at No. 9,'' said Bruce Snyder, president of distribution at Twentieth Century Fox, a unit of Fox Entertainment Group Inc.. The film, which cost under $9 million to make, should become profitable by next Friday, he explained. The top 12 films grossed $115.3 million, the highest three- day tally since New Year's weekend, according to box office tracking firm Exhibitor Relations. New releases next weekend, when Sunday business will be hurt by the Super Bowl, include the college comedy ``Slackers'' and the Nicole Kidman thriller ''Birthday Girl.'' If ``Black Hawk Down'' loses its crown next weekend, Sony Pictures marketing and distribution president Jeff Blake said he would be ``very disappointed.'' The studio aims to have the picture hold at No. 1 at least through Academy Award nominations on Feb. 12, which it hopes will provide an extra boost. Among the viewers who caught the film was [b]President Bush, who screened it for the Republican leadership at Camp David Friday.[/b]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:58:34 PM EDT
I wonder if Clinton has seen it. Something tells me he hasn't.
Top Top