Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, The upcountry Lousiana boy (hun) comes out and tells everyone how to make my favorite meal....HUN you stay out of the swamp after this ...As I was born and raised in redneck heaven with a cajun influenced mother, I ate a lot of things that kids I went school with had never heard of....and we called them toad-in-a-hole.

Take a glass and cut the center out---day old bread is best
Place all pieces of bread in skillet, put some butter in the holes and on the round pieces.
Crack and egg and put gently into the hole,
salt and pepper if you want.
place some butter on top of the egg(it will melt
by the time the egg is done on one side and when you flip it, it will butter the new down side)
Flip the egg and bread combo

eat...I have had thousands of these, I think I had them for supper three times last week.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Toad-in-the-hole is something else to me.  My mother used to make it.  It's a dish that basically consists of English bangers in a light batter baked in a large dish.  Yum.  I guess it's a Brit/Aussie/NZ thing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Egg in a nest here. A good variation is a BIG thick slice of sour dough or your favorite. Put 2 eggs in. Must be a large loaf of bread. I have had these since a child as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd have to go with Huns use of Ma Jode as the authority.

Now I don't expect anyone to beleve this but I hail from a small town on the eastern end of Long Island NY. Sag Harbor is where John Stienbeck spent the last of his days and in fact his widow Lorraine still lives there. Now Ms Lorraine and my mother became friendly over the years and she has actualy made me this breakfast on a number of occaisons. She calls it a "Toad in the hole"
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you call it?

A Grabastic clusterfuck?

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.yumyum.com/student/eggs.htm[/url]

Eggs-in-a-Poke

This is actually just a variation of the fried eggs recipe. Melt butter in a small frying pan. Cut a hole in a piece of bread (this is made easy if you use the lip of a cup).
                                               Place bread with hole in the pan then crack an egg into the hole. Spice and cook the egg and bread as outlined in the fried eggs recipe. Fry the center of the bread (the hole) in the pan as well.

Of course, when I ask my mom for "Egg-in-a-Poke" she slapped the Hell out of me!

Then I said "I just want to know what "Toastin a hole" tastes like."  Whap!  Another slap!

Nervously I just asked if I "could try her Tuna salad."  Whap!

Maybe a taco?  Whap!

I went hungry alot as a kid....

TheRedGoat

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My Mom used to call this an "egg in your eye".
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
In northern Indiana this is an "egyptian eyeball".
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top