Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2001 12:16:05 PM EDT
Neither of them made the news here in AZ, guess the body count wasnt high enough for them to bother.[:(!]

One suspect found dead, another shot in the head by police is not expected to live.

Pa. Plant Slay Suspect Found Dead

.c The Associated Press

EAST GREENVILLE, Pa. (AP) - A man who opened fire at a furniture plant where he worked, killing a manager, was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound Thursday.

Wednesday's fatal workplace shooting was one of two in the nation that day.

Michael J. Tompkins, 23, was found dead in his car parked off a state highway a couple of miles from the plant, the Montgomery County district attorney's office said.

Scott Peters, 42, was killed in the shooting Wednesday night at Knoll Inc., police said.

The shooting appeared to have followed a workplace dispute, police said. Tompkins left the plant briefly before shooting at employees in a supervisor's office, they said.

``There were three people in the office when he storms in,'' said District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. ``He shoots to death the one manager. The other supervisor and another worker happened to be there, fled into another office. He shot at them through a glass window and missed.''

A co-worker said Tompkins had appeared to be agitated earlier Wednesday.

``We noticed his mood change,'' Melissa Burke said. ``I said `Hi' to him and he didn't say `Hi' back.''

The plant, about 35 miles northwest of Philadelphia, manufactures office furniture.

In North Carolina, a man recently fired from PPG Industries ambushed employees at the plant's parking lot Wednesday evening, killing one man and injuring another, police said.

Mike Champion died at a hospital shortly after the shooting about 40 miles west of Charlotte.

The suspect, Brandon Eugene Smith, 20, was shot by police who chased him after spotting his truck later Wednesday, police said. He was in critical condition Thursday with a head wound.

Smith will be charged with first-degree murder if he lives, Cleveland County Sheriff Dan Crawford said Thursday.

Champion and another man were walking toward the plant when Smith drove up to them in his pickup truck and shot them, Crawford said.

AP-NY-03-15-01 1339EST

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.  All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Link Posted: 3/15/2001 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, ArmdLbrl, my worthy adversary!!!!!! How the heck are ya man??? Good to see your bandwidth!!!!

I had one of those "unnewsworthy" shoot 'em ups happen across the street from my old job. Guy went into a sawmill to kill his girlfriend I think it was. (Can't people just say "we've grown apart" anymore?? [:D] ) Shotgun and 9mm, I think. Don't remember the statistics from it.

Didn't make the news either.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to get off on a tangent, but does your handle Armdlbrl stand for Armed Liberal?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep it does mean Armed Liberal.  And really, I am.

Pro-Choice
Pro-Union (but opposed to the hijacking of the AFL-CIO by organized crime, which is behind the current way they operate)
Pro-Gay Rights
Pro-Civil Rights (but Jesse Jackson is a crook)
And I dont beleve in the supernatural.

I disagree with most other liberals (alas) who seem to think that they can maintain their civil liberties and protect themselves from crime, bigotry, and political violence without the widespread availability of firearms.

I also disagree with them in that killing other humans is sometimes necessacary, and that its not ok to let criminals go "so long as no one gets hurt".  Human life isnt that sacred and doing nothing because "someone might get killed" is a cop-out, because you dont want to take the responsibility.

Hi garandman!  Nice to see you, its been a while indeed.  We will but heads again soon I am sure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
ArmdLbrl,

Don't believe in the supernatural?? Hmmm.  Hey guys, is he allowed to stick around? :d

James
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top