Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2002 11:51:38 AM EDT
I want a single action six-shooter with a smooth action that's comfortable to shoot.  How would you compare the recoil of a .357 or .45LC six shooter to a full size 1911 .45ACP?  Also, are there any cowboy action shooting groups that don't make you assume a character, dress up, etc?

Thanks,
Chimborazo
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the SASS guys swear by the Ruger or Uberti. I personally prefer the Ruger because it's much better for accuracy.

As far as I know there are no cowboy clubs that don't require the dress. If I could find one, I'd join in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I own Uberti's and Rugers Single Actions.
The BEST shooting Single Action Clones are made by US Firearms. They are also EXPENSIVE. But they are superior to Ubertis, Colts and Rugers.

Ruger makes the most DURABLE revolver. Stronger Frame, Cylinder, uses a coil Hammer Spring instead of the Leaf Spring found on Colts and Colt Clones.

Also Ruger's safety device makes the revolver SAFER.

With the Colt Clones you MUST ONLY load with 5 rounds ONLY, with the Hammer down on an EMPTY Chamber.

Plus Ruger's you can shoot Full Power Magnum Loads.

But having talked up Ruger...Ruger does have some draw backs, the Cylinder Tolerances could be tighter. The Finish on Rugers isn't anything to brag about. Also Ruger's do NOT index like Colt clones do, so lining up the cylinders with the ejector is a bit of a pain. Rugers are a little heavier so they don't quite "handle" as nicely as Colt Clones do.

So really BOTH Colt Clones and Rugers have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you want to have something as close to authentic as possible without actually buying a Colt (or heaven forbid an Pre-1899 Colt). Then US Firearms is the way to go.

If you want something for Single Action Shooting and a good durable and safe working Six Shooter then Ruger is the way to go.

If you want to have a Six Shooter which you can shoot Super Hot Loads in, be accurate as hell, and outlast the lives of your grand children. Then Get a Ruger Vacquero in 357 or 44 Magnum and ship it off to John Linebaugh to have a cartridge conversion to 45 Colt, along with an Action and Timing job, and have him also modify it so you can index it. You will end up with a revolver with incredibley tight tolerances, and still be strong and robust as hell.

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the ruger vaquaro. They now make them with a converter cylinder that shoots 45 acp and one that shoots 45lc. I think you will find 357 much harsher than 45 lc imo.
If you just like the colt clones, you could get the cowboy from cabelas for around 200. I have only seen the uberties in quick draw competions not cowboy action shooting, and they did not do very well for reliablitly.
Rugers are just beefier. If you want it to act like a colt, there are a couple of people that convert rugers into the 4 click cocking action, and half cock gate open type shooting as well.

There are no cowboy action clubs that don't require dress, but most will give  you a break on having a complete outfit. They know it costs way more than the equipment, and will let you get by with only a couple of pieces for a while.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I want a single action six-shooter with a smooth action that's comfortable to shoot.  How would you compare the recoil of a .357 or .45LC six shooter to a full size 1911 .45ACP?  Also, are there any cowboy action shooting groups that don't make you assume a character, dress up, etc?

Thanks,
Chimborazo
View Quote

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and have been happy with it. Its a very strong revolver.

I'd say the 45 Colt has a heavier, snappier recoil that the full sized 1911s, and I shoot both. I'm talking full power loads, not the 'cowboy action' loads which are powder puff loads. If I had to shoot one all day I'd take the 1911, but that's like comparing apples and oranges. They are both fun.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I'll look more closely at the Ruger.  Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been shooting SASS for since '91 You will not go wrong with the Ruger great price great gun. The uberti is another good choice but a little more expensive. As Bostonterrier97
stated US Firearms makes a great gun but a bit more expensive. Go to www.sassnet.com forums and all the Pard's there will be very helpful.

(AKA)
Derringer Dick, SASS #1495
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm amazed by the the comments here to wit:
"...if you want to act like a Colt..", "...if you want it to feel like a Colt...," etc.  

Get a Colt SAA.  After handling one, you'll see there's nothing else like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top