Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2002 10:31:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Whew!  I thought it was me with the problem.

Bad news about all those kids. [IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
As I said on the other post, this reminds me of that "Dirty Harry" movie when the scumbag jacked the busload of kids and made them sing.  I hope they figure this one out soon...
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Not good.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, they found it.

MSNBC on tv reported it.

I'll be the first to renew calls for GPS tracking system.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just as long as they don't try to "install" it in the children.[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/cwm/cwm/angryfire.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The CNN story still says it's missing.

Do you have a link to the article?

MSNBC, FoxNews, and CBS New all claim the bus is still missing.

Av.

Edited: Did they say where is was found or why it was missing?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Just as long as they don't try to "install" it in the children.[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/cwm/cwm/angryfire.gif[/IMG]
View Quote

I am a member of SCI ( Schoolbus Control Inc ).
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The CNN story still says it's missing.

Do you have a link to the article?

MSNBC, FoxNews, and CBS New all claim the bus is still missing.

Av.

Edited: Did they say where is was found or why it was missing?
View Quote

MSNBC website has slow updates.  I saw it on cable.  The bus driver claimed he was late and they are now investigating him.  They also said he passed a background check but maybe he's the bus driver dude from Simpson's.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]Missing school bus found near D.C.[/b]
Police say children on board reported safe

[url]www.msnbc.com/news/693435.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Whew!

My kids ride a schoolbus. [pissed]

But our driver is the "church lady", I think. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Just heard that the bus driver had a shotgun in his possession!  No shit!  WTF?  Is this "Invasion USA"?

I have to renew my calls for a gun-free zone around school buses.  Is 1000 feet enough?

Someone saw the bus with the kids waving their hands around.  The driver might have stopped to get something to eat.  Found four hours away from the scheduled destination.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#14]
from cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/01/24/missing.school.bus/index.html
--

LANDOVER HILLS, Maryland (CNN) -- An off-duty police officer found a school bus carrying 13 children from Pennsylvania that had been missing for than five hours Thursday, and detained the driver and seized a loaded rifle found on the bus.

There was no explanation for why the bus deviated than 100 miles off its assigned route.

"The driver is in custody and all the kids are safe, uninjured," said Mark Williams, communications director in Berks County, where the Berks Christian Academy is located. "I really don't know if he had any kind of a history or what his problem was," said Williams.

Pennsylvania State Police spokesman Ramon Albert said the bus was parked on Annapolis Road in Landover Hills. A passing, off-duty police officer saw children waving out the window and entered the bus. When the officer saw the shotgun, he took the driver into custody. The driver put up no resistance.

"He went on the bus and arrested the man for having a shotgun and 13 distraught children," Oley Police Chief George Endy said.

Parents of the children are being taken to Maryland by state police to pick them up, Albert said.

Police identified the driver as Otto Nuss, in his 60s. The employee of Quigley Bus Co. had picked up the first- through ninth-graders at their homes and was expected to arrive at Berks Christian School in Birdsboro by 9 a.m.

There was no immediate explanation for why the driver had gone miles off his assigned route, police said.

Nuss has been the regular driver on the route and was considered to be a careful and considerate man. On a recent snowy day, he shoveled a path from the sidewalk to the door of the bus, said Robert Becker, the school administrator.

The public schools are responsible for picking up private school students, said Frank Love, the school's athletic director and Bible teacher.

Close to 100 police, a police helicopter and dozens of family members had been combing the route, a school spokeswoman said. The school's student body numbers about 200.

Agents from the Philadelphia FBI field office were involved in the investigation.

- - - - - - - - -

What's the difference between a loaded rifle and a shotgun - nothing to the news media! [:(!]
(If it was [i]even[/i] loaded.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]
[B]WE HAVE TO BAN THE SCHOOL BUS!!....[/B]..for the children!

medcop
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I looked at foxnew, cnn, nbc, abc  and read that:

The driver gave himself up to a security guard in a store, who was an off duty cop, said to the cop he left the weapon in the schoolbus.

Or

it was a rifle, no a shotgun, no a rifle

and cops pulled them over when they saw kids waving from the bus

or

no, an off duty cop pulled the bus over, no knowing it was the missing bus

or

according to the police chief, the police found the bus parked, the driver must have left to get something to eat.

or

Who the heck are you to believe?

The only thing we know from these stories is, a bus with kids was missing, and has been found.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know where they found it, but the news showed the police carrying away an M-1A/M-14 type rifle they said belonged to this wacked out nutcase.

BOHICA!  

DaMan
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, that's too close to home...
I live right in the middle between school in Oley & the one in Birdsboro...

Last year an Oley bus driver was killed when he drove head-on into another vehicle...Luckily, no kids were on-board then...

Looks like Oley needs to re-think thier driver screening process...
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do idiots like this keep fueling the anti-gunners cause?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't know where they found it, but the news showed the police carrying away an M-1A/M-14 type rifle they said belonged to this wacked out nutcase.

BOHICA!  

DaMan
View Quote

Sure looked like that to me before they put it in the trunk.  Wonder if it was a SuperMatch?  It was behind the driver's seat.

But the guy just wanted to drive the kids to Washington DC.  Last I checked it was customary to get the parents to sign a field trip permission slip before going on a field trip.

Just wait until they search his house and find more "semiautomatic assault weapons" of mass destruction.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why do idiots like this keep fueling the anti-gunners cause?
View Quote

Like others here, I too believe there are individuals programmed to "go off" and further the anti's cause.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#22]
O NO!  48 guns found in bus driver dude's house!

But the authorities did say that wasn't uncommon as he was situated right in the middle of hunting country.  

So now you have to be a hunter to have that quantity?[:(]  I'm not a hunter and don't have plans to become one.[:(]  Guess I can never have 48 guns.[:(]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I, too saw an M1A on the news. There is no mistaking that rifle. My wife and I were watching the news when they showed the clip of the officer walking away with it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, at least there were two smart kids on the bus, even if the others peer-pressured them into dumbing down:
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/01/25/busdriver.hearing/index.html[/url]
When one child wrote "Call 911" on asign and put it in a window, others encouraged him to take it down. Another student wrote 911 in reverse on a fogged bus window, authorities said.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top