Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 12:55:36 PM EDT
I have a short story for you that kind of made me angry... A buddy of mine told me about a gun shop that has a good selection and good deals.  So my other friend and I get out of work early because of rain and decide to go pick up a couple shotguns and check out the other goodies.  We walk in and the owner said something about our boots.  Our boots had a little bit of dried mud on them (His muddy unpaved parking lot wasn't a help either)...  He told us to go down to the river behind the shop and clean them off.  We said no problem because we were excited about picking up some new hardware!  We go clean them as best as we can and head back in.  Remember the dry mud is now wet mud.  He looks at our boots and says "I'm afraid I'm going to have to turn you down".  We said "Ok thanks", politely and left.  As soon as we got in the car my friend and I both looked at each other and said "We're never going back there again".  I mean come on, half of the place wasn't carpeted, most of it was concrete floor.  To say the least my friend and I are making good money now and planned on going to this gun shop for all our future purchases since it is the closest.  We we're planning on spending somewhere in the range of $500 dollars today.  Oh well, we just have to drive a little further in the ghetto to another gun shop.  If I decide to go back, should I buy some rubber boots that I can take off at the door? =)  Yeah its his shop and he can run it however he wants, but it just kind of torqued us the wrong way.  We didn't make it past the door but it did like he had a nice selection.  Any similar experiences?  Should I go back?

Smalls

LCpl of Marines

(Edited to fix grammar)
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT GO BACK!!!!

Guys like this give all small business owners a bad rep. What a ja*kass!! Anyone who owns a business and ask a customer to leave who is not stealing or disturbing other customers is a complete idiot. My advice to you is, not only never return there, but tell everyone else you know about what happened, If he keeps treating people like that he will not have a business much longer.

I have a wonderful gunshop I buy from, it is a family owned business and they treat everyone with respect. If you buy a gun they will give you a soda/coffee free while they fill out the paper work, they let you handle all the guns as many times as you want, and they will answer all of your dumb questions graciously. IT is a small business a one room store but they have a huge selection their and and their house nearby.

My point is there is places like this out there, just look around a little and give someone who deserves your business you hard earned money.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
not to sympathize with him or anything, but seriously, if you were the guy would you want someone who is most likely not gonna buy anything mudding up you store? Blame the people that browse too much.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Rule No. 1 of retail -

The customer is always right. ALWAYS.

If you don't want to deal with customers who browse too mush, or don't want to sweep your own floor, get out of retail.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
not to sympathize with him or anything, but seriously, if you were the guy would you want someone who is most likely not gonna buy anything mudding up you store? Blame the people that browse too much.
View Quote

if they were spending money to keep my doors open - YES (use kmart for results of unhappy customers).
If you can't get in the store - how do you by anything?
you were kidding, right?[BD]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

True.  He can run his business anyway he wants and that's fine with me.  We were polite when we left but were pissed off a little bit. That's the first time I've ever been kicked out of a store!  A gun shop no less.. laugh.  This business is family owned also.  The shop was empty except for the man and wife who own it.  I would have gladly vacuumed any dirt that was left behind but I know there wouldn't have been.  Before we went in the first time we stomped out boots and rubbed the bottoms on a carpet outside..   Since he doesn't know me and could just expect me to browse I can see his point.  But my buddy and I don't plan to return.  We will share our story with all of our other construction friends about this story.

Smalls

LCpl of Marines,  I really do know how to clean ICBs! =)
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Smalls I am from Michigan and would like to make sure I never buy from this ass. Where is this store. You were much kinder then I would have been. I never would have gone down to the river and wash my boots off!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Bullshit.  Dont give me that "I can see his point" crap.  Does Wal-Mart check your boots when you walk in?  Does the gas station?  Parts store?  Hell no.  It's part of buissiness.  You sweep up before you go home.  You shouldnt have to put up with that crap.  Tell everyone you know who buys guns.  Make it a well known fact in your area what kind of buissiness he runs, and then make sure he knows you did it and why.  He might think twice about turning away a customer cause he is too lazy to sweep his damn floor at quitting time.  Man I am getting pissed alot today.  Think I'll open my own shop.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Smalls I am from Michigan and would like to make sure I never buy from this ass. Where is this store. You were much kinder then I would have been. I never would have gone down to the river and wash my boots off!
View Quote

It was Felix's Gun Shop in Grand Haven.  Whats funny is that the friend that told me about this wonderful place works in construction doing underground surveying.  He normally goes there after work on the way home.  I wonder how he made it in the door?!? =)
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
You have a right to demand a lot from gun shop owners, and they should know this.  I've heard guys on the internet (naturally) claim that they've told customers to leave if they brought in any competitors' prices or quotes.  Absolute bullshit.  It's a very competitive business, as many people don't consider a $500 firearm a necessity (their loss).

On the other hand, these guys are there to make $ and support themselves and their families.  I've seen people get upset because the shop wouldn't sell at cost, or drop their price so they barely cover themselves.  SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DEALERS (if you trust them).  These guys are more committed to the 2nd than Wal-Mart or any other store making minimal margin on firearms and ammo.

Now, that said, call the jackass who owned the store and ask for a specific rifle/shotgun/handgun.  Let the guy know exactly what you're looking for.  When he tells you he's got it and tells you the price, let him know you were there and how he treated you.  Let him know that he just lost a sale.  Believe me, he's probably barely making rent, like many others, so he will FEEL THE PAIN.  When my local dealer didn't have the Wilson mags I wanted/needed, he sold them to me out of the gun on his hip, below original cost.  THAT guy knew how to run a store.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Hyper-sensitive people deserve the vacuum of isolation that their behaviour encourages others to bestow upon them. Shop elsewhere. If the "ghetto" shop is a decent place to be in, who cares where it's located?

Could be that his wife runs the shop, and he's [stick]

"Keep the floor clean, Homer! Clean, clean, clean. Always clean!"

[size=4]D'Oh![/size=4]

Don't throw pearls to swine, or money to an a$$. Patronize good businesses so they'll grow and thrive, and let the pathetic ones die off, as they should.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go back (with clean boots [:D] ) and then pick out some of the most expensive stuff to "buy". Then you conveniently remember that this was the place that kicked you out because of your boots, tell them to piss off and walk out. Ha Ha Ha!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Can I come in your house with muddy boots?

Yuri Gagarin the first man in space. A coup, backed by the CIA and President John F Kennedy, fails at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba. Russia starts building the Berlin Wall. Alan B. Shephard Jr is the first American in space. Bob Dylan plays his first gig, in New York. World Wildlife Fund founded. Weight Watchers founded by 97kg (214 lb) Jean Nidetch
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#13]
AHHHHHHHHH....but this is his buisiness, not his house 1gunrunner.  And if I had invited you over, then yes, you could, assuming they were no worse than Smalls explained them to be.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
What irks me is when you have a possible trade or swap is to hear that you get wholesale value and pay retail, and no further flexibility.  Specially annoying when you see what the "retail" is for your gun compared to the "wholesale" they are willing to pay.  I don't mind him making a reasonable profit on the deal but considering that the he did that when he traded for the gun I was looking at too.  He would have made the gross pay for his clerk for the week on one trade.  (WW2 M1911A1 or 1920's M1911 for a less than 50% Model 97).  Not from me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yuri Gagarin the first man in space. A coup, backed by the CIA and President John F Kennedy, fails at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba. Russia starts building the Berlin Wall. Alan B. Shephard Jr is the first American in space. Bob Dylan plays his first gig, in New York. World Wildlife Fund founded. Weight Watchers founded by 97kg (214 lb) Jean Nidetch
View Quote

If your coming to buy something of mine that will give me $20 to $40 dollors profit.. Sure come on in.

What do I have to dance, and jump through hoops for him before I can get permission to buy something from him?  

I don't think I would even had a problem if he asked to me take off my boots.

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

BULLSHIT. Blame the sanctimonious asshole that runs the store. The only way buyers BECOME buyers is by first being a browser. It rains and people track mud. Fact of life. Take yer bizness to someone that isn't a total jagoff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm glad you added the part about being in construction. I had visions of the Marine Corps being sent home en masse because of rain. :-)
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

My drive way is paved so your boots should not be muddy.  You may walk on any concrete surface with your ficticious mud boots in my garage and home.

Smalls-

Sounds like Grumpy Old Man syndrome to me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I've herd from several people that Felix's is kinda funny like that

I know a shop in grand rapids that is that way too. Thats why i drive 30 miles out of the way to a nice shop in kalamazoo to buy all my gun stuff.

The owner knows how to treat people.  I gladly travel the extra mile to buy from him because of it.  [b] I like his 6 month lay-a-way plan too [/b] Iv'e recomended many people to him over the years

Smalls,
if you ever get to kalamazoo look up shooters choice on east main street,
  Bob [b]WILL[/b] treat you right.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've herd from several people that Felix's is kinda funny like that

I know a shop in grand rapids that is that way too. Thats why i drive 30 miles out of the way to a nice shop in kalamazoo to buy all my gun stuff.

The owner knows how to treat people.  I gladly travel the extra mile to buy from him because of it.  [b] I like his 6 month lay-a-way plan too [/b] Iv'e recomended many people to him over the years

Smalls,
if you ever get to kalamazoo look up shooters choice on east main street,
  Bob [b]WILL[/b] treat you right.
View Quote

My friend and I live in Grandville but only know of Felix's shop.  I've been in one in GR but can't remember where it is.  I think we are going to have to make a trip to KZoo next week after my next paycheck!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#21]
If it was my business I wouldn't mind cleaning up a little dirt or mud as long as I was making money and providing a service for sportsmen.

I would never go back to the store if it was me.  If the guy is so anal about the floor...will he even let you look at a firearm / hold it before you buy it.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Dick Williams in Saginaw are the kind of jerks you love to dislike. Total chance I'll ever go back? Zero. Funny part is he buys big ads in the monthly club letter.

I go to Bear's in St Charles, an extra 10 miles south of the club, but nice folks and friendly, and they charge enough to make it without having to screw you because you are the only person still stupid enough to buy from them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Like the guy said before. Go back. This time, be clean. Like Saturday maybe. Ask to get all the guns you were gonna get before. Lay out the money so he can see you are for real. THEN remind him of his boot policy and leave. He will be floored IF you show him the money. Otherwise he will just think you were bluffing him.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Like the guy said before. Go back. This time, be clean. Like Saturday maybe. Ask to get all the guns you were gonna get before. Lay out the money so he can see you are for real. THEN remind him of his boot policy and leave. He will be floored IF you show him the money. Otherwise he will just think you were bluffing him.
View Quote

Yeah I think my friend and I will do that.  We will wait until we cash our checks and go in.. Might as well pick out a few more than we were going to pick up since we will have a grand or so a piece =)Just the thought of losing out on like 6 sales should make the point... =) I don't like being a dick to people but what can I do eh?

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Things like this all the time and in every business. Something similar happened to a friend who worked in construction, an Iron Worker. He always purchase a new car every couple of years and one day after work, still in his work clothes he went to a Cadillac Dealer to order a new car. And none of the salesmen paid any attention to him and treated him like dirt. So he went to another dealer and purchased his new Cadillac there. A week later he returned to the first dealer this time on his day off and well dressed and the salesmen were more then happy to help him. Well he asked the salesman which happened to be one of the ones who ignored him before and the sales manager to follow him to the door and showed the both of them the new Cadillac parked out side and told him that he had just purchased it and where. He also explained that he was the man who was there the week before and was ignored and that is why he hot only purchased the car at the other dealer but will purchase all of his  there. Revenge is sweet. The same thing happened to me at a local Exotic Car dealer I did not appear to have the money to afford one of his cars so the salesman ignored me, so I left and went to another Exotic Car dealer this one a Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes Dealer and the salesman treated me very good even though I was riding my motorcycle and dressed in a Belstaf suit riding suit the same as I was when I went to the first dealer. By the way  I had the finances to purchase the cars I was looking at. And how about the time that someone went into a local small camera shop to get a Hasselblad and the dealer wanted full list price and would not discount it at all so my friend went to a shop in another city and not only purchased the camera but also picked up a large amount of accessories including lenses and a couple of bodies. He later returned to the first camera shop with his Hasselblad aluminum cases filled with camera gear worth well over $10,000 and this was in the mid 70’s opened them up and showed it to the owner of the shop and told him that he would never go into that shop again and he had lost what would have been a very very good customer. The facts are that some people are good businessmen and some are not.  

Revenge is very sweet and the best place to hurt someone is in the old wallet, cash talks and BS walks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Remember that a gun store for the most part is a "big boys toy store".  You don't kick people out.  

On $500 dollars in sales he would have most likely made $75-$100 profit.  If it wasn't worth the profit money to clean up a little bit afterwards then he does not deserve your business.  I'll spend 10 minutes cleaning up mud anytime for $100.

Just wait. If he continues to be like this to his customers he wil be going out of business soon and you can get some real bargains!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Remember that a gun store for the most part is a "big boys toy store".  You don't kick people out.  

On $500 dollars in sales he would have most likely made $75-$100 profit.  If it wasn't worth the profit money to clean up a little bit afterwards then he does not deserve your business.  I'll spend 10 minutes cleaning up mud anytime for $100.

Just wait. If he continues to be like this to his customers he wil be going out of business soon and you can get some real bargains!
View Quote

Whats sucks is that is the only gun shop that I KNOW how to get to.  I will have to get out the phone book and look up some other ones.  I wish he wouldn't have told me to leave.. It looked like he had a pretty big inventory.  Oh well maybe he will sell me his business cheap when he goes under. [}:)]

Smalls

LCpl of Marines

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Uhhh many of you are complaining about people browsing.  Whats wrong with that?  Most purchases are made on an impulse.  If I dont browse, I dont buy!  I have purchased 5 guns from a larger gun sales store since Sept trying to rebuild my collection.  I am in there probably once sometimes twice a week.  I always ask to take a look at something.  If the start to mind then I will take my business elsewhere.  If I knew it was an annoyance to small shop owners to come in and browse I will just do all my shopping at large sporting good stores and the net.  I'm sorry but the small shops are doing it to themselves.  Ever heard of customer service?  Its where you do what ever you can for the customer.  Make them feel like the money is appreciated in your store.  I've been going to some of the small shops for months and not a one knows my name.  On the other hand at the large store that I've been spending my money in most of the employees at the gun counter and service counter know my name.  Its nice going to the counter and have the clerk say "Hey Scott hows the such and such shooting?  What can I pull down for you to look at?"  Then when leaving the store I hear "See you later Scott, have a good one"  Now that is service!  That is where I will spend my money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#29]
If anybody in the Dayton, Ohio area wants to meet an asshole dealer like this.....check out Gunsport in Centerville.  The guy who runs the place is an old powerlifter and has a bad attitude from all the steroids he's taken over the years.   I was only in his place once and never went back.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I really like my local FFL. He knows me and my dad very well. He gives me great deals and if I want to see something I just go behind the counter and check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top