Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 11:38:01 AM EDT
Esperanto was suppose to be the world language or so thought the one-worlders. Anyone here actually speak it? and when was the last time you had need of it?

Which languages do you speak?

[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to know some.  I can still count to 10 with it.  It's of no use in the real world since about 6 million out of 6 billion people actually speak it.  It's a good idea, but it's difficult to get a bunch of people to learn a synthetic language when they could learn a real language which is harder, but more useful.  Look at how many negotiations are handled in English, even though it's one of the more messed up, difficult to understand languages out there.

I know some Spanish and Japanese, neither of which tend to be helpful in everday life either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Every now and then Esperanto is jokingly referred to in the Britcoms.

The only time I ever heard it mentioned was in Germany during a EEC debate during the mid-80's.

I formerly spoke German.  However, the study of classical and koine Greek displaced my knowledge of German.  Subsequently my study of Latin eclipsed my Greek.  When I lived in San Antonio I tried to learn Spanish.

So now I can speak a bastardized language that includes bits of the Indo-European roots as well as modern tongues.  Hey!  That's Esperanto![:D]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Nous voulons simplement vous montrer toutes les possibilities de subtilite de le esperanto.

If I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Read somewhere once ( Disclaimer:  No, I have no memory of the publication nor the author nor can I in anyway prove what I am about to post is true) that the best languages are.......

German - for business
English - for technical subjects
French - Romance
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top