Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 11:51:58 PM EDT
I often see "Available only to Law Enforcement and holders of a special tax stamp" next to class 3 weapons advertisements. I know the deal on the Tax Stamp, but I am graduating from a local Police Academy soon and am wondering about the availability of class 3 weapons to Law Enforcement. Does anyone know the specifics? Obviously you have to be employed by an agency first but, do you have to have permission from the Chief/Sheriff? What is the process of obtaining one? Is it a simple as going to a class 3 dealer and showing them your badge?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:04:37 AM EDT
Only departments can purchase a class 3 weapon. An officer can have the weapon if issued by a department, but the officer just can't go purchase one. Well, unless it was registered before the 1986 ban then you can purchase it. Someone else explain this further. thanks medcop
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:09:20 AM EDT
Medcop explained it pretty well. Individual LEOs have no special privileges in purchasing Class III weapons. Their departments may purchase them and subsequently issue them to officers.
Top Top