Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2002 12:36:32 PM EDT
The blood clot in my leg/pelvis is hereditary. I found out my brother had the same problem, and he had to have a stint put in his vein (for someone who doesn't know what a stint is, it's something similar to a spring that they put in to keep the vein open). We both have basically the same body structure. At the juncture of the upper leg and the pelvis, a vein is being crossed over by another and pressed by the area, and a clot formed. Now I have to be on Coumadin (anti-couagulant) for at least 3 more months because they have to dissolve the clot completely before they do an angiogram. They'll do another ultrasound to see if I still have the clot, then if not, I'll have an angiogram and they'll determine if they have to put something in to keep the vein open (stint or angioplasty). My brother was 44 when he had his, I will be 29 on the first of Feb.
Isn't heredity fun!   [:D]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup. I've got an inherited condition called Acute Intermittent Porphyria (look it up), but a "mild form".  I only have an attack once or twice a year, but it HURTS.  Sometimes it sucks to be me.  Most of the time though, it's pretty great!  So I can't blame Mom for one without giving her the credit for the other (I inherited through my Mom's side of the family).
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have also heard that alcohol works pretty good as a blood thinner.

Allied D-Day landings at Normandy, France break German defences. "The Three Caballeros" by Walt Disney becomes the first film to combine live action and animation. Hungarian journalist Laszlo Biro invents ballpoint pens. Elizabeth Taylor stars in "National Velvet", filmed in California where Taylor was living as a war evacuee.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Kidney stone here. Runs through grandfathers family, to my dad, then his younger brother, now me (40). I have 2 younger cousin (dads brothers boys), waiting to see who is next. Had "Lithotripsy" done Dec-11, felt like I stopped a train in my right side. Had Vicodins that did not faze me, 800mg Ibuprofen worked better, this went on for about 8 days. Having a piece of gravel stop about an inch from coming out is fun also, until the next "whiz".
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yup. I've got an inherited condition called Acute Intermittent Porphyria (look it up), but a "mild form".  I only have an attack once or twice a year, but it HURTS.  Sometimes it sucks to be me.
View Quote

And you didn't pick the username "Vlad"?! [dracula] [:D]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I played drums in my HS marching band (quints or tenors for those in the know)
View Quote

My school was poor so I only got to play quads. [:(]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup. I've got an inherited condition called Acute Intermittent Porphyria (look it up), but a "mild form".  I only have an attack once or twice a year, but it HURTS.  Sometimes it sucks to be me.
View Quote

And you didn't pick the username "Vlad"?! [dracula] [:D]
View Quote
LOL!!

That's really good.  Didn't even think of it.

Hmmmm.....Perhaps a name change is in order?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#8]
That's weird, I can pop ibuprofen like candy, but vicodin helps. One 500 mg just barely touches the subject, while 2 takes enough of the pain away to be bareable. Head would just get loopy while pain would stay. When I went back to the hospital because I spent too much time on my leg and pulled the muscles in the blockage area and was in horrible pain, the doctor didn't want me popping vicodin all day so she gave me an opiate patch on my chest. Phentanyl I think, Give you a dose every hour.
When I look in retrospect, I notice problems that I've had that were related to this but seemed unimportant. I played drum for our church for the last almost 5 years. I would get pains and cramps in the same area that I now have the blockage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Our school was so poor we could only afford to play "This Old Man"!
You know "This old man, he played two...He played two upon my shoe...etc.".

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's weird, I can pop ibuprofen like candy, but vicodin helps. One 500 mg just barely touches the subject, while 2 takes enough of the pain away to be bareable. Head would just get loopy while pain would stay. When I went back to the hospital because I spent too much time on my leg and pulled the muscles in the blockage area and was in horrible pain, the doctor didn't want me popping vicodin all day so she gave me an opiate patch on my chest. Phentanyl I think, Give you a dose every hour.
When I look in retrospect, I notice problems that I've had that were related to this but seemed unimportant. I played drum for our church for the last almost 5 years. I would get pains and cramps in the same area that I now have the blockage.
View Quote

Ibuprofen is like candy to me also. 1200-1600mg=No relief at all.
I would not want to have to take Vicoden all that much either.
I hope everything works out and keep us posted.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]
im glad the only thing i got that runs in the family is baldness and i dont mind when that hits me in 20+ years
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#13]
cyrax777:
im glad the only thing i got that runs in the family is baldness and i dont mind when that hits me in 20+ years
View Quote

Like the saying goes, you've only got a finite number of male hormones...
Why waste 'em on growing hair when you can put 'em to better use?
[:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Today was the first time since being on Coumadin that my gums bled when I brushed my teeth. It was kind of cool to stand there and watch blood pool up and run down my lip. At least it wasn't two weeks ago. My blood thinness is supposed to be between 2-3 (2-3 times as thin as regular), the other week it was 3.9. Everyone kept telling me I looked pasty and sick. This past week I was back down to 2.1, they cut my doseage down, and I ate salad all week.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Post from cyrax777-
View Quote

Just remember these few lines when it happens:

God is great
God is fair
To some He gave brains
To others hair

Eric The(WorksForMe)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Today was the first time since being on Coumadin that my gums bled when I brushed my teeth. It was kind of cool to stand there and watch blood pool up and run down my lip. At least it wasn't two weeks ago. My blood thinness is supposed to be between 2-3 (2-3 times as thin as regular), the other week it was 3.9.
View Quote

What Mg are you on? I've been doing 5 Mg for about a year now and haven't had that problem, I've been running at 3 when they test. Your lucky, I'll be on it till I die.
Borg
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#17]
They had me on 7.5mg, but my INR started climbing too high so he dropped me to 5mg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top