Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2002 4:11:57 PM EDT
I had the day off today and spent most of it just laying around and surfing gun related websites. Around 3 p.m. today I was re-assembling my AR on the living room floor when I caught a motion out of the corner of my eye. It was a gigantic rat running along the bottom of my backyard sliding glass door. I got up slowly and retrieved my favorite rat medicine.. A long barreled bolt .22 LR with CCI CB Long cap ammo. I stoked the single shot rifle with one of the potent rounds and placed two between my lips in true safari style. As I slowly opened the backdoor my dalmatian/pit pull mix dog got up from her sunny spot in the yard and stood next to me. We went forth into the steaming jungle that is my backyard in search of our quarry. As I probed the bushes with the muzzle of my gun Pumpkin (dog) startled and ran to the end of the house and dove headfirst into the holly bushes there, she had cornered the rat! I eased up behind her and found her muzzle to the dirt by the foundation growling and snapping at the rat who had taken shelter in a steel pipe section buried there to support the house. I pulled Pumpkin aside and put the gun down the tube and waited unitl my eyes adjusted to the poor light. Once I was sure to hit the rat I squeezed the trigger... BLAM! My ears are ringing and the dog is yelping, muddy water and rat parts fly up into the air and rain down in the yard. OOOOOps, I grabbed CCI stingers which were next the the CB rounds in the case. As my ears stopped ringing I used the rifle barrel to fish out the rat corpse from the tube, it was fully 14 inches long from snout to tail and my shot had pretty much field dressed the little bugger. I tossed the rat corpse into the empty lot next door to let the neighborhood cats have a meal and when I turned around to go back into the house I realized that the elderly woman next door had been gardening in her yard the whole time and had watched the hunt with great amusment. I told her that I had just killed a champion rat and her response was "thanks, I've seen a big rat around lately". In my haste to taste rat blood I didn't even notice the nickled case or copper bullet of that stinger shell... Two lessons here are.. Be sure of your ammo. Move to Texas where the little old lady next door dosen't mind if you use your backyard as a trophy rat ranch. 4wheelingunnner
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:18:52 PM EDT
Sweet... I wish I could get one of those bastards cornered in my backyard! Bet it surprised the sh*t out of you when you lit off that stinger, huh? I've used the CB longs before, and they're great, but I'm kinda partial to those new Aguila sniper SSS rounds. Give them a try, they're quiet, really accurate and will cycle a 10/22.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:24:06 PM EDT
You should see some of the rats we have in the subway! The thought of walking around with a .22LR wouldn't sit too well with the people in the transit system though...
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:29:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:31:16 PM EDT
BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! ROTFLMAO!!! Well done!! I howled with laughter when I got to the part about the Stinger! John
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:19:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2002 5:21:40 AM EDT by bunghole]
I just saw the episode of Insomniac on Comedy Dentral in New Orleans. Dave Attell was out with NOPD hunting for Nutria. The shooter had a bolt action .22 with suppressor and the spotter would light them up and he would shoot. Those Nutria are HUGE. [img]http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/resshow/nutria2.gif[/img]
Top Top