Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2002 12:53:11 PM EDT
I don't know a thing about atvs, are Polaris 500 magnums good machines?  

Thanks for any comments.  Am-O-Tramp

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pca00687dd6187c7ae3a117739d398bc3/fdfb9dd9.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of friends that have the Polaris 500 and they love them. As soon as I can afford one, I'm gonna get one.

Jamie
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't tell you anything about the polaris but thr ranch I work on has 4 Honda rubicon foreman and they are incredible.We chase cows through sagebrush and the machine stays stable and flattens the brush.These machines are a year old and have really seen some abuse and have required minimal repairs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a new 4x4 500 Magnum in Dec 00', making it a 2000 model.  Additionally, my dad bouth a 4x4 325 Magnum.  We both love em'.

To say that I am very satisfied is an understatement!

I added the twin tube front bumper in order to mount the 2000lb Warn winch.  I also added front rack extenders, Moose Brush guards for the hand grips, a K&N filter and Moose front shock covers.

Even with the extra weight of the bumper, rack extenders and winch I can hit roughly 60 mph on a straight run.  That is pretty serious power as I think the machine alone weighs roughly 600 lbs., along with my 200 and what I would estimate to be another 75 lbs for the added gear.

The electronic 4x4 shift is ultra smooth and is true 4x4.........if running in all wheel drive the front will not engage though until the machine senses roughly a 20% slippage in the rear.

Power is there to spare and the machine can be quite nimble once you learn it.  I do a lot of advanced trail riding in some very serious terrain and my 500 has never ever let me down.

The only thing I would change would be to make it the new 700 Sportsman but that would require giving my other arm and leg to be able to afford it.

The only other mod I am going to make is to add a SuperTrapp ISD II exhaust system to boost power even more.

As a testament to the power, speed and agility of the 500 Mag, I ran down a coyote across a freshly disked field.  The coyote had about a 500 yard head start.  My Glock 27 finished the chase.

Polaris makes a superior machine.

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:44:34 AM EDT
[#4]
While I am a Honda person all the way when it comes to cars and motorcycles, I'd take the Polaris anyday.

My brother-in-law and I bought Polaris 400 sports back in 97. They are awesome machines. We used them mostly for trail/track riding and the places we rode were very technical. We would pass Honda/Yamaha guys that were stuck in the middle of a huge hill trying to get up with no weight in the front and trying to find the right gear. We would pass sitting down going up the hill and they would just look in amazement.

The Polaris is heavy and has a huge wheelbase, that makes them very stable. I'd defenitely buy another and hope to someday.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys I appreciate your input, I want to look at a Honda and Yamaha just see the differances. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#6]
When comparing the Polaris with other brands, be sure to pay close attention to suspension.  I am not familiar with the Magnum, but I do own a Sportsman 335.  Try to stay away from the "mono-shock."  Polaris makes good independent suspension units.  The vehicles are much more stable, especially for novice riders.  You'll be responsible for a few extra grease fittings, but well worth it.

Tim
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't I just read a story about our guys in Afganistan who ordered a bunch of Polaris'?  I don't remember which branch or unit.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn't the Sportsman 335 a 4-stroke and manual shift? I have a Honda 300 4-wheel drive and am going to get a bike for the wife. I love the Honda but would like to get her the independent suspention if it's a 4-stroke.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#9]
03Shooter
The Sportsman 335 is a 4-stroke however, it does have an automatic transmission.  I'm not sure if Polaris offers a Sportsman with a manual.  Not the fastest bike, but a strong puller.  Additonally, I don't know if Polaris is offering a 335, they may have bumped up to a 400.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#10]
You want POWER? Yamaha recently unveiled its new RXS 1000 snowmobile. Motor based on its RX 1000cc 4 stroke cycle engine. 145hp and a radical new front end design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top