Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
even if you somehow manage to shield your thermal signature (unlikely) the heat signature given off from the shielding material still wont be the same as the rest of the environment around it so it will stand out like a sore thumb.  getting underground or inside a thick walled building is your only chance.  

this from a pretty solid thermal user.  flir, abrams/bradley TIS, and pas-13.

If the environment is rich with signitures that are close replicas of or exact copies of a potential heat signature target and are widely dispersed then unless Helo lands and investigates or has Ground forces to call in  you could be safe (For a time) if it's just Leo and not an Attack helo ?

it will never be the same temperature as the surrounding area.  especially anything made of a material that is capable of shielding your own body heat.

If there are 74 potential targets and 26 of them look identacle  with   another 18 targets looking a little wierd but  all simular as far as you can tell before somthing else (otherr than me catches your eye and distracts you for a second before you re-focus on the original 74 signitures and start over again ...

as much as im trying to figure out what you are saying....its escaping me.

you will not be "tracking" 74 potential targets.  if you are trying to track a single shooter in a crowded marketplace a helo using flir isnt the tool. it is still an intelligence asset but not the right tool.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBTL on CoC #4

I see more advocating of illegal activities in a marijuana thread...

you mean this isnt one?

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBTL on CoC #4

I see more advocating of illegal activities in a marijuana thread...

im just waiting for the dumbasses to start sending me PM's claiming OPSECS BREACHES!!!111!!! for saying it cant be done.

OPSEC is getting a little stoopid around here lately.

Shit that has been on here before, on the MSN, in unclassified technical documents that have been around since the beginning of the Internets, etc.

If there really is a person or a group of people with malevolent intent lurking here for strategies, they aren't trying hard enough.

I just think that there are folks here who like to share ,and who have been to both Utah and Estonia ( Knowledgable kinda guys)
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
even if you somehow manage to shield your thermal signature (unlikely) the heat signature given off from the shielding material still wont be the same as the rest of the environment around it so it will stand out like a sore thumb.  getting underground or inside a thick walled building is your only chance.  

this from a pretty solid thermal user.  flir, abrams/bradley TIS, and pas-13.

If the environment is rich with signitures that are close replicas of or exact copies of a potential heat signature target and are widely dispersed then unless Helo lands and investigates or has Ground forces to call in  you could be safe (For a time) if it's just Leo and not an Attack helo ?

it will never be the same temperature as the surrounding area.  especially anything made of a material that is capable of shielding your own body heat.

If there are 74 potential targets and 26 of them look identacle  with   another 18 targets looking a little wierd but  all simular as far as you can tell before somthing else (otherr than me catches your eye and distracts you for a second before you re-focus on the original 74 signitures and start over again ...

as much as im trying to figure out what you are saying....its escaping me.

you will not be "tracking" 74 potential targets.  if you are trying to track a single shooter in a crowded marketplace a helo using flir isnt the tool. it is still an intelligence asset but not the right tool.

Sorry  I meant Heat signatures or sources  but I'm not really talking about running into a Crowd of Cub Scouts at a jamboree (But perhaps a Junkyard of old Autos & Metal & Glass trash in the woods on a 99 degree day perhaps) ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm disappointed that no one has recommended a 20mm Solothurn yet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Emergency blanket?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Avoiding being seen is pretty damn tough I think, but avoiding being targeted/locked isn't too difficult.  Unfortunately, you have to first know that you are being watched, which is unlikely when the helicopter is several kilometers away.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
space blanket

Ding ding ding ding.....

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Shoot the aircraft down.

Yep, I think you're prolly looking for something like a Solothurn or Lahti.

LC

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
You really can't fool the FLIR detector....the physics just don't make it a practical goal.
High end systems can distinguish temp differences of less than 1 degree F.   Your bodies
surface temp varies more than that.  

The best goal is not to try and fool the FLIR but to try and fool the FLIR operator.
He is looking for a human shaped outline.   Not very easy to do either.

Even hiding under  or in thermally efficient shelter is problematic.
Your footprints on the ground can be seen leading into the entrance for several
minutes after your passage.

In the big city the best way to fool FLIR is to enter a crowded store.   Unless the
helo overhead  has a very good physical description on you once you enter
and then leave they will see you but not know if you are the person of interest or not.

In the woods a helo with FLIR is gonna catch your ass 99+% of the time.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have pondered this topic before, it seems like "insurgents" in low-tech places like Viet Nam or Iraq always seem to find a "one-up" way to defeat ultra-sophisticated technology. I wonder if they're over there defeating FLIR with a standard blue tarp coated in tinfoil or something like that.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
space blanket

snuggie?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
space blanket

snuggie?

Tactical Multicam Level 3A snuggie?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#15]
in. coc.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.defensereview.com/intermat-anti-thermalir-camo-tech-for-infantry-and-special-operations-forces/

Build a shack and get some really good insulating paint meant for your house since you can't buy the stuff in the article.

http://www.insuladd.com/seeitwork.html

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
only break the law with the temperature outside is 98°
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
space blanket

I prefer USGI casualty blankets... OD green on one side, much sturdier, and they have grommets to tie into a shelter like a poncho. The important thing is not to let the space blanket or casualty blanket touch your body or it will heat up and emit a signature. A pane of glass will also work very well. Don't stay in place for long periods of time as your body heat will warm the ground and give you away.

A well trained operator who knows you are in the area will likely find you because the blanket doesn't match the temperature of the surrounding vegetation, But let's be honest-if you have helicopters in your area looking for you then your ass is flying high enough on radar that they will get you one way or another. If a helicopter is zipping overhead and isn't looking for you in particular, you may have a better chance.

What I am wondering is if an aluminized mylar blanket will show up on targeting radar of something like an Apache?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Pot growing heat signatures recognized from the outside?  Simply make an insulated room in the center of the basement of whatever building you occupy.

eta: and spare me the advocating illegal activity bs, look at .gov's actions as of late.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#20]
fart and then run really really fast away from it. It's a great diversion
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
First rain, Fog and dust storms etc can cut down their range.  

Underground is smart.  

Never tried space blanket but barriers would most likely be good cause the birds moving and the indirect heat sig will be harder to see when the camera is moving.   Remember your not the only hot thing out there unless it's cold, just don't stand out by looking like what they are looking for.

Its been years but ive played with this sort of stuff and while it is difficult to beat it can be done.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top