Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2001 2:56:41 PM EDT
Is there I way that you can make semi-clean ammo shine like new?

Thanks,

-GreenLabel
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that detailed info there beer slayer..lol..

where can I get some, and how much?

and for the record, "shinny" = "shiney"
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Flitz- made by our friends in Germany.

Thanks also for the great HK guns.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Troy!

I'll try that steal woll.. If it doesnt work.. I have have to resort to that "brasso" stuff..

This ammo is going to be put into a display case, and wont be fired..so it shouldnt be taht big of a problem..

-Green
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I had heard that if your ammo smells like ammonia, that you should not use it. True?
I love the way the commercial guys have to polish their ammo. Who cares?
[pistol]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to your local auto parts store, maybe Walmart and look for a small can labeled Wadding Polish.  I know Eagle brand makes some and possible others.  It is a can of cotton stuff with polish on it, rip out a chunck and rub the brass and in a few seconds whola, shiney new bullets.

CHZ
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks! I'll have to try that!

My father owns 6 Napa Auto Parts stores, so it shouldn't be a problem getting it! :-)

(I new he'd come in handy one of these days..lol)
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If you can find one of the old Herters shell drill adapters, it's a three part shell holder (a shell "chuck" would be more accurate) on one end, & a short hex shaft to fit an electric drill on the other (RCBS made one for a while too).
Flitz, "0000" wool, or white rubbing compound (Like Troy said - NO ammonia) will do exactly what you want. They not only take 1/10 the time to do, but look 10 times better. The one Lee has out now is CHEAP, & would be perfect if you can hold a complete cartridge (with the primer) in it.

Course you could swipe 3" of your dad's tubing, put it on the cartridge base, & gently chuck it in a 1/2" drill,,,,, this really does work nice - the things'll look a lot better than the day they were made, incredibly shiny! "0" wool, or 600 W&D gives a very fine machined look, but still very shiny.

Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll look into that!! :)

Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I use blue magic or mothers aluminum polish on a cotton rag.Remember you only need a small amount
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Ketchup yep thats right.It has a mild acid in it that will take off tarnish.Put it on and let it set awhile.Then spray a clear coat of laqer on to keep it shiny.If its very heavy you might need to use the steel wool a little.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top