Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/19/2002 5:40:00 PM EDT
I'm updating my master bedroom w/half bath and thinking ceramic tile in the bathroom and carpet in the bedroom. Currently the floor is the same level in both rooms. Removing the existing floor is not an option. If I put down 1/2" cement board, then 1/4" grout, then 1/4" tile, how will the threshold turn out? How can I make the spot where the carpet meets the tile not a complete pain in the ass/toe? Should I be using different materials? How would a pro make this work?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:43:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By heavily_armed: how will the threshold turn out? How can I make the spot where the carpet meets the tile not a complete pain in the ass/toe? Should I be using different materials? How would a pro make this work?
View Quote
Best technique I have seen for the threshold is a strip of marble beveled on the low side.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:46:03 PM EDT
Heavily armed, I have been building Custom Baths since 1978. You need to find a store that sells 4'X4' X 1/4" Durock or if they do not have it in your area wonderboard will do. Nail it down every 4 inches on the perimeter and every 6 inches in the center. Hitting a beam is nice but not critical. You then need a Latex Modified Thinset Mortar. Tec brand Super Flex is the best Full Flex would be fine. Trowel the surface with the flat side of the trowel and re strike any nails that stick up. Only cover an area you can comfortably reach. Work slow, I like to remove the wood base mouldings if possible and cut the tile to the sheetrock then reinstall base on finished tile. You can leave all the cuts out until the second day if it is easier. You will have the advantage of being able to measure closer than if you have to "lean in" on your work. At the door way you need a Hollywood Bevel Saddle. Homedepot has these. I bevel the unfinshed edge to look like a regular saddle giving me a taper towards the bedroom and a normal bevel towards the bath. Good Luck,work slow, e-mail questions [:)>]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:15:41 PM EDT
Wow! - ask and ye shall receive!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:24:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rudison: Heavily armed, I have been building Custom Baths since 1978. You need to find a store that sells 4'X4' X 1/4" Durock or if they do not have it in your area wonderboard will do. Nail it down every 4 inches on the perimeter and every 6 inches in the center. Hitting a beam is nice but not critical. You then need a Latex Modified Thinset Mortar. Tec brand Super Flex is the best Full Flex would be fine. Trowel the surface with the flat side of the trowel and re strike any nails that stick up. Only cover an area you can comfortably reach. Work slow, I like to remove the wood base mouldings if possible and cut the tile to the sheetrock then reinstall base on finished tile. You can leave all the cuts out until the second day if it is easier. You will have the advantage of being able to measure closer than if you have to "lean in" on your work. At the door way you need a Hollywood Bevel Saddle. Homedepot has these. I bevel the unfinshed edge to look like a regular saddle giving me a taper towards the bedroom and a normal bevel towards the bath. Good Luck,work slow, e-mail questions [:)>]
View Quote
As to the pain in the ass, you may be more comfortable using the bed or Couch. Just a professional observation.[:D] [:)>]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:31:13 AM EDT
Rudison, you are the man! Thanks!
Top Top