Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2002 4:49:38 PM EDT
I'm planning on buying one of these consoles... can anyone offer input?

Thanks!

Jorge
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the X-Box, it's much better than PS2
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
X-box...the PS-2 is a generation back...I gave my son-in-law an X-box for Christmas, the rest of the family is pissed at him.  He's having so much fun playing "Halo" he hasn't opened up the other games.

I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
People have already linked up there PCs to their X Boxes to go online to play games.  There are alot of bugs (mostly the online games won't support more than 2 players, but MS is very optimistic aboutreleasing their modem addon in a few months.(maybe)
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That was a good comparison Goatboy

I have an Xbox, got it about 2 days after they were released.  I only have 3 games for it but they are so good I am in no hurry.  Amped, Gotham Racing, and Halo.

Multiplayer in Halo is incredible.

My best friend has a P2 and although it is a great machine, he is jealous.  If Xbox can come out with GT3 or GT4, I will be very happy.

(GT=Gran Turismo)

Patsue
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I've played a lot of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Grand Theft Auto. Both are freaking amazingly good games.

That said, I would still go with the XBOX.

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Why give Bill Gates any more of your money? The Jacka$$ has a monopoly on the computer business and are be loved government is not doing anything about it.

The PS2 has been around for about a year a friend of mine said they have the planes to come out with the PS3 in a year or so(Don't know if thats true or not.)

I have heard some good things about the X-box and PS2 but I much rather place $300 more in an upgrade in my computer then get earthier one of them. The computer graphs will always blow away the X-Box and PS2. Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why give Bill Gates any more of your money? The Jacka$$ has a monopoly on the computer business and are be loved government is not doing anything about it.

View Quote

Can I get you some cheese to go with that whine?

Oh, and when you manage to make your PC's graphics match XBOX's (Hint: XBOX has graphics dimensions PC video cards, regarless of speed, haven't even explored yet), let me know.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Lets see.....I would take the.....XBox or the XBox.....It's a no brainer..

PS...this whole monopoly stuff kills me..A man builds a successful company, that ends up being the number 1 software company, and its his fault the other guys can't keep up. Yep, thats the American public I love so....Bitch, bitch, and bitch...
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]
only reason i want a ps2 over a xbox is ps2 can play all the old playstation games and theres a ton of those i really want also ps2 has final fantasy 10!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
PS...this whole monopoly stuff kills me..A man builds a successful company, that ends up being the number 1 software company, and its his fault the other guys can't keep up. Yep, thats the American public I love so....Bitch, bitch, and bitch...
View Quote

Yep, and 90% of the people out there bitching are doing it from a Windows popup screen. I figure the alternative to Microsoft would be Unix and Netscape, what a combo  [%|]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Can I get you some cheese to go with that whine?

Oh, and when you manage to make your PC's graphics match XBOX's (Hint: XBOX has graphics dimensions PC video cards, regarless of speed, haven't even explored yet), let me know.

Juggernaut
View Quote

The graphics card and the 3d accelerator I have right now is a hell of a lot better then the X-Box. I'll take the Pepsi challenge any day VS the X-box. I have seen the X-box trust me it does not compare.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Xbox all the way. I have both the Xbox and the PS2. Yes the PS2 has more games out now. Some are great, some are complete crap. Being that the Xbox is still very new it has some great titles so far. Give it more time and it will prove itself as THE system to beat. With upcoming broadband gaming, onboard hard drive and ethernet adapter you cant go wrong for $299.

The PS2 is STILL $299 and they are suppose to come out with a hard drive add on and network adapter. That is, at an extra charge of course. So the choice is simple.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The graphics card and the 3d accelerator I have right now is a hell of a lot better then the X-Box. I'll take the Pepsi challenge any day VS the X-box. I have seen the X-box trust me it does not compare
View Quote

Exactly what is it you think have and is so much better huh?  Because the Xbox has a Geforce3 and that's the hottest thing out for the PC currently...  Best you can do is match it.  The Xbox doesn't have a slow ass AGP port to try to stuff info over either, it's a great setup...
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:53:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Xbox. I bought the Xbox on release day and although it is sort of collecting dust while I await the new games it was a good investment. I have always been a PC gamer and probably will still be (mouse/keyboard will always outpeform a gamepad in 1st person shooters) but the potential for some amazing gaming on that system is there. I run my Xbox using component video to my 43" Widescreen HDTV, plus use the optical connection for true Digital audio. Halo is an aewsome game, my brother and I finished it the first few days playing it in cooperative mode. Once the developers take adavantage of the higher HDTV resolutions and invoke the Anti-Aliasing on the newer games PS2 will show its older technology. DOA3 and Halo are the flagship games for the Xbox. Oh yeah, and I think after the 1st week gamespy released a tunnel to play Xbox games over the net for free. I was rocking the Halo online and had a blast. Try that with ps2. Games my brother and I have in no particular oder:
Halo
DO3
Gotham racing
4x4 Evo
Artic Thunder
Bloodwake
Oddworld
Kabuki Warriors
Max Payne
EA's football (forget which one)
The new NBA (forget name)
SSX Tricky
Amped

Eagerly awaiting UFC and Bruce Lee....
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the input, guys!  I went last night and got me the XBOX...Shit, it really cooler than shit!

I bought Gotham Racing and Star Wars Starfighter... the second game is not really what I expected, but hey, who said life is?

And like goatboy says, I can wait for the games to come out.

Reading the specs and the likes, I can also inferr that this console might probably be upgraded later on.  I bet that as soon as some other newer generation console comes out, this Microsoft stuff WILL require the use of the dedicated modem coming out to hook up to some site and upgrade the unit...Talk about wanting to make money, huh???

Bill Gtaes, you might look like a nerd, but you ARE the PC man!

Thanks again to all you guys!

Jorge
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input, guys!  I went last night and got me the XBOX...Shit, it really cooler than shit!

I bought Gotham Racing and Star Wars Starfighter... the second game is not really what I expected, but hey, who said life is?

And like goatboy says, I can wait for the games to come out.

Reading the specs and the likes, I can also inferr that this console might probably be upgraded later on.  I bet that as soon as some other newer generation console comes out, this Microsoft stuff WILL require the use of the dedicated modem coming out to hook up to some site and upgrade the unit...Talk about wanting to make money, huh???

Bill Gtaes, you might look like a nerd, but you ARE the PC man!

Thanks again to all you guys!

Jorge
View Quote

What????? You didn't buy Halo? Halo should be a requirement with the system. I strongly suggest you rush out and buy it today! Get three more controllers while your at it and invite over three of your friends.

Don't plan on doing anything else for the rest of the day other than ordering out.....[:)]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe I'm wierd, but I'll stick with the PC.

Currently, the only advantage the X-Box has over the PC is with it's chipset (system board and on the video adapter), as can be readily seen in the graphics.  It may also have a slight advantage in the design of the player's controller.

However, there are works in progress for the PC that will even dwarf the advantages of the X-Box chipset.

It seems that every damn company is trying to find some way to up the performance of a PC.  They are either creating new memory designs, CPU designs, and bus transfer technology.

By the time I decide to upgrade my current PC (probably within this year), I will have the ability to choose hardware that outperform the X-Box.  In order for the X-Box to be a contender, it will always need to be redevoloped just like the PC.  However, I can do very little more than play games on the X-Box, whereas I can do a bunch more things with a PC.

I couldn't see myself always having to upgrade my "gaming" system.  However, I can see the advantages of upgrading my PC.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lemme tell ya, multiplayer with the jeep just rocks...
View Quote

Yep...lots of fun manning the gun on the back which happens to be a beltfed with an [b]unending[/b] belt!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#22]
i'd go with the good old PC. one can always upgrade it. graphic/game play second to none. i just ugraded to a Geforce 3 ti200, athlon 1.4 with 256 of DDR. it rocks!!! BTW has anyone tried Medal of Honor, Allied Assault? dam fun game [:D]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top