Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2002 5:27:30 PM EDT
Enron was the largest contributor to GW Bush's presidential campaign.  They're just getting warmed up to this thing, with the Andersen issues just the preliminaries.

What are his chances of re-election, assuming no world catastrophe between then and now?

I say 0%, as in dead man walking... The Democrats are going to exploit the Enron debacle to crucify ole George.  Payback will be a bitch!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I could really care less... Was Bush doing the accounting for them..? Did he shred the documentation..? It's the Dems trying to make something out of nothing... Royally pissing me off in the process... Everyday I move more to the right because of this kind of b.s.

[soapbox]

Cg..
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't get it? what did Bush do? nothing. there is no story
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, with the media dragging it out, it certainly won't help.  It will be used by the Dems, certainly, but how effective it will be will depend more on what happens <=6 months prior to ballot day than the Enron disaster of 2002.  

We'll have to wait and see.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup almost 1/10th of 1% as getting your money from the CHINESE
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Schumer and Hillary took Enron money too, are they "unelectable "? NY is full of Democraps, you can bet your as that they will be elected again!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#7]
well if he smokes some pot sleeps with his intern and then lies to a grand jury between now and then he will definately get re-elected.

Oh and watch some of his troops get drug around the streets dead and fail to eliminate the entire city as payment for their crimes against the USA that would help his re election campaign also.

what about selling nights in the lincoln bed room to raise campaign funds.  oh wait it has already been done.

john

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the more they dig around the Enron situation the more Klinton's name keeps popping up , right I bet now the liberals are wishing they had never tired to pin this on Bush .
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#9]
There are no saints on either side of the isle. Lieberman (sp?) took contributions from Enron, both individually, and through his organization (Name?).

Personally, if GWB is yoked closely enough to the company to be culpable, then he can eat it - ENDO style. I'll find someone else to support the cause. I don't support republicrat crooks. Don't need 'em. I also don't need sanctimonious liberal BS. They hope to capitalize on the implication that they are free of guilt in such matters. Not so!

This has got to be the biggest slam heist I've seen yet. A lot of people got soaked - nea, drenched - by the Rodney Richpig CEO/COO/CFO/ABCDXYZ's at Enron and Anderson.

Typical of white-collar crime, the actual bandits won't [i]really[/i] be punished. There may be a token middle guy or 2, but for the most part, the details will confuse too much of the issue, and the masses will just want to see [i]someone[/i] (A token) hanged.

Like the movie goes: "Hang 'em high"

[heavy]Blaster out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually Enron was only in the top 100 contributers to Bush.  Something in the 70's if I remember. (It was on CNN)  And while they did donate to the Dems, it was not as much.  I think as long as Bush has the appearance of not trying to get in the way of any investigation he might pull out just fine.  After all, Reps still control the house (for now)...

The Anderson deal is mearly a smoke screen for Enron to buy some time for Upper Mgt to get their story straight...
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Mortech,

I think you are right, and to the original poster of this thread.  Don't worry.  PAY BACKS ARE A BITCH!!!!  And the DemoCrats SEE IT COMING.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Enron contributed to democrats also.  The dems have been trying to find something to pin on Bush but have been unable as the administration did nothing to help the dying company.  If they had intervened then there would be a story in it.  Democrats don't have a clue what to do as Bushs' popularity has grown with the dems themselves, and they basically don't have a strong agenda to fight with.  With Hillary and Daschle mentioning raising taxes it just hurts the dems more and is pulling the party apart, as many of them voted with Bush for the tax cuts.  And you know the poor old minorty the dems count on don't want their taxes raised.  Bush is covering the entire political spectrum right now and I hope he continues to do so.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]
OK they lied to Bush, as they did to the whole country. If Bush helps them now....that would be different. Most of all the more the media trashes him the more I like him, let's remember the media defended Clinton, their darling.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't agree for two reasons:

1. The sheeple have very short memories (for better or worse)

2. There are just as many Democrat politicians who have or have had "Enron money" lying around.

Chuck Schumer actually made a preemptive strike regarding this yesterday when he "donated" the soft money he got from Enron to some WTC disaster fund.  Of course, that fund is most likely funneling money back to him in some underhanded way as we speak.  The guy's not an idiot but he's shady as Hell.

Anyway, I think there are too many Democrats with dirty hands from this to make too big of a deal of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Enron gave both Republicans and Democrats money.  They certainly gave Republicans more, but what did they get for their money?  Nothing.

When the big airlines (and Tom Daschle's wife) came to the Democrats and Republicans looking for a handout (after years of big contributions), they bot $12 Billion.

When Enron tried to call the Bush apparatus, they got NOWHERE.  I sincerely hope our buddies the democRATS try something.  It's gonna blow up in their faces, BIG TIME (as DC would say).
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#16]
While the news was blabing about it tonite,they quickly ran a list of who took money from them for reelection, I did see that our boy Shumer took $68,000 from them I think Hitlery got around $500, that's about $499.99 too much, Also, the DNC took $100,000 as well,It ain't looking too good for the democraps on this issue
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#17]
The politics of the issue will die as I heard Enron donated money to 2/3 of Congress.  Also, the CEO of Enron spent a night in the Lincoln Bedroom under Bill Clinton and was later able to travel in the Presidential trade meeting with India.

Enron bought Bill Clinton and if the Dems keep pushing the issue it's going to come back and bite them in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Schumer and Hillary took Enron money too, are they "unelectable "? NY is full of Democraps, you can bet your as that they will be elected again!
View Quote

BULLS*IT NYC is full of domocritters, i can attest the fatct that the state is flat out against them.  and i should add a good number of the gun laws too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#19]
its clintons fault (not really, but its nice to think so)
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#20]
DScott, son, you got to remember that you empty the bong water into the sink! You do not, repeat, not drink the bong water for any reason whatsoever.

If you do, you are liable to make assinine statements like the one that started this thread.

I've always wondered how the liberal media can get by with lying so much to the American People, in full view. But, DScott, I think I've just received an answer - SOME OF YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A FRIGGIN CLUE!

So what precisely do your liberal media talking heads tell us that President Bush did for Enron?

Maybe if they keep simply talking it to death, certain, ahem, portions of the American voters will assume that something must have happened, cause look at all the news guys talking about it!

You've been duped!

Eric The(Unreal!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#21]
BULLS*IT NYC is full of domocritters, i can attest the fatct that the state is flat out against them. and i should add a good number of the gun laws too.
Ok, then explain how they got elected? NY Democraps LOVE them!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#22]
What are you talking about!
This story is a big [b]0[/b] so far.
The Democrats will overplay their hand and ensure his re-election.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Most stations that I listen to (Fox News Only, are you kidding me?) reported that Enron hedged their bets and donated to both parties almost equally.

crashburnrepeat

Quoted:
i have heard that enron donated more to dems that the republicans. If so this will die off quick.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#24]
We'll see.  BTW, I am not wishing for it, just speculating...  I think we've all seen how the media can play with these issues, and I also think there's going to be ALOT more as the investigators dig into the paperwork and reconstruct the missing documents.  It's not like the various sub-committees never leak reports or anything, do they?

Oh, and Eric, we don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee!  Anyone ever tell you that you look an awful lot like Jerry Garcia?  

[:P]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I doubt it--both Arthur Anderson and Enron's crooked law firm are big donors to the Democrats.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Spoken like a true Californian.

Payback huh?  Don’t think so.  Nice of you to hope so hard…but the necessary evidence just ain’t there.  You may hope for a miracle…but Bush’s boys ain’t nobody’s fools.  Why do you think they refused to help Mr. Lay when he asked?

Crucify Dubya?  That’s a bit of a stretch.  Firstly the Dems need something use against him…and so far it ain’t there.

Enron collapsed, as many companies have done in the past and as many will do in the future, because of the recession, because of stupid decisions on the part of the company officers, and because of mounting market pressures that they were unprepared to handle.  Dubya and his people did not create the crash, nor did they aid or abet it in any way.  

Enron also collapsed because of huge amounts of white collar chicanery and outright criminal acts on the part of company officers, aided and abetted by their accountants over at Arthur Anderson.  For that reason, many heads are going to roll and many people are already lawyering up.  I suspect when all is said and done, lots of these folks at both companies will be doing long stretches the federal country club penitentiary at Lompoc, CA weaving baskets and finding Jesus.

Thousands of stockholders, both Enron employees and other people holding Enron securities, lost their shirts in the company collapse.  That REALLY sucks.  I TRULY feel sorry for them.  They were probably duped into keeping their funds in the company long after it had lost virtually all of its liquidity.  On the other hand, WHY did they put so much money into one fund?  Ask any broker or accountant:  NEVER put all your eggs in one basket.  That is just good sense.  Those crooks that hid the pea and pulled the flim flam on these people should go to jail.  That doesn't mean that Dubya and his people could have nor should they have done a damn thing to help Enron in any way.  To have done so would have probably been criminal and it would have been political suicide!  Can you just imagine how the Dems would be crowing if Bush had helped them out?  Keeeerist!  I can hear Daschle now…intoning about how Dubya tried to help a collapsing company.  The only one who would have helped Enron out would have been his old buddy Bubba.  Clinton took $100,000 from Lay a few years ago.  He owed Lay.

Several of the company officers and several senior people at the accounting firm may have committed fraud, stolen moneys, raided the pension fund[s], cheated the other employees and for all I know, cheated on their wives and kicked their dogs too.  That doesn't mean Dubya is in on the deal.

(Continued)

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#27]
As to political favors:  Enron, as the 7th largest company in America, passed out moola and favors like a drunken sailor on liberty in Subic Bay.  Their lobbyists probably spent more money on booze, broads and junkets than most of us on this web site will ever make in our combined lifetimes.  They gave a  boatload of money to the Clinton administration and the DNC in an attempt to get the Kyoto treaty signed because Enron was number one in natural gas and that treaty would have made gas the number one energy source in the USA, and Enron billions in revenue.  Enron has been giving to virtually every senator and congressman in office for years.  That's what a company like that does.  That's how they get their agenda looked at and acted upon.  It ain't pretty...but it also ain't illegal.  Just because they gave lots of cash to Bush and his staff, doesn't mean that they are all in cahoots to rape and pillage the company and the nation, stealing the hard earned nest eggs from little grannies and college kids tuition.  Since Enron (and all other major companies) gave so much across the board to both Dems and Republicans, it will be real hard for the real enemies of Bush, the liberals to make much of a case against him.  They took the money too!  Not all the lying about it in the world will help them.  For example…Joe Liberman is swimming in Enron cash.  He ain’t about to give it back…neither.

Not that the Libs won't try to pin this on Dubya.  They are already in high dudgeon and crowing loudly on all their friendly media outlets.  THIS is the Golden Chalice!  This is the Holy Grail of which Carville, Shrum, Leahy, Waxman, Clinton (The other one...), and Eleanor Clift dearly hope will contain that magic elixir to destroy Bush.  Some of our fellow citizens out there in flyover country will believe this stuff and vote for the other guy or gal in ’04…but I’ll just bet they voted for Gore or Nader in the last election too.

Sorry fellas…it won’t work.  Bush will survive this…and easily too.  Let the liberals in the media and the congress bleat all they want.  This isn’t going to bring down the Bush presidency, and it certainly isn’t going to keep him from being re-elected.  It has no legs.  Think for a second what it would take to tarnish his rep to the point that those 83% of voters with whom he is wildly popular right now to turn against him.  Not only would they have to believe all the crap about his involvement in the Enron scandal, but they would have to put that single issue over all others (Like the WAR maybe?) and vote against Bush on that single point.

Not a chance in Hell.  If Bush wants a second term, he’s got it.

Next time…I recommend taking a few minutes to study a story like this a bit before you jump in and make such outlandish and irrational, wild assed assertions!

[soapbox]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Post from DScott -
Oh, and Eric, we don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee! Anyone ever tell you that you look an awful lot like Jerry Garcia?
View Quote

There's a [u]Muskogee[/u], California? Who'd a thought that!

And I never, ever understood Jerry Garcia and the GD's music, ever!

I hope I don't look like him now, though! I mean, he's been dead for years now!

Eric The(StillAliveAndLookingVeryHun-Like)Hun[red]k[/red][>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
DScott, son, you got to remember that you empty the bong water into the sink! You do not, repeat, not drink the bong water for any reason whatsoever.

If you do, you are liable to make assinine statements like the one that started this thread.

I've always wondered how the liberal media can get by with lying so much to the American People, in full view. But, DScott, I think I've just received an answer - SOME OF YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A FRIGGIN CLUE!

So what precisely do your liberal media talking heads tell us that President Bush did for Enron?

Maybe if they keep simply talking it to death, certain, ahem, portions of the American voters will assume that something must have happened, cause look at all the news guys talking about it!

You've been duped!

View Quote

Hun,

Truth?  You're asking our intrepid one to make a learned and insightful assessment of what is really going on?  You indicate you don't want him to simply BELIEVE what he hears at 6 & 11 and reads in the LA Times or the San Francisco Examiner?  You really want the TRUTH?  [shock]

There you go again, asking for that which is unattainable.  I am appalled.  Why, that's almost as bad as trying to insert logic into this!

Dupid is as dupid does...my momma always told me.

[;D]  (It's the wine again...)
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Easy boys, read my lips: I'm not wishing for it or predicting it, just speculating in a provocative way, and seeking information.  

No need for insults.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#31]
As stated before:

Clinton & Whitewater?! Nail that bastard!! Bush & Enron? Hey, let's everybody calm down and wait for concrete evidence. Some of you guys need to pull your heads out of your as...er, the sand.

Nothing has changed. NOTHING. Corporations play both sides when buying politicians. Now, I think Bush is handling 9/11 much better than Gore would have - hell, he'd still be polling for opinions on what to do - but does no one find alarming the fact that Enron was the only company asked to meet with Cheney regarding the country's energy policy? Behind closed doors and then basically saying to Congress "none of your business"? Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, O'Neill, Evans,....Jesus Christ, wake up!

And does no one find alarming that Racicot is appointed the NRC chairman while still being allowed to perform as a corporate lobbyist? Do you want your party's chairman setting and recommending policies and directions benefitting corporations and pocketing a fat fee from them? Stop being blindly partisan and take a closer look at what's going on with this administration!

Before some of you start in with that you-must-be-a-goddamned-Liberal crap, I've always voted independent, and I actually pay attention to what these guys do (records are public info, use them) instead of listening to what Hannity, Drudge, King, Rather, or the Almighty Rush tells me.

Think for yourselves. Stop ranting at ignorant 2nd Amendment sheeple while baa-ing your way behind your party. Question, question, question.

New $.02:

If some of you would pull your faces away from the RNC's teats, you'll see that THERE IS NO REPUBLICANS VS. DEMOCRATS! There's one hog, and she feeds at the trough of corporations! Stop sucking and look around. This isn't a case of the liberal press in cahoots with Dems to  bring down the administration. The very same press went after Clinton with the prodding of Republicans. A story is a story. They'll investigate it as far as it will go, and they should.

I'm disappointed that so many of you, no names but especially the more senior and usually more intelligent members of this board, are behaving like partisan lap dogs. Leave that to Matalin and Fleischer. Why aren't you questioning the private dealings of this Administration with Enron? Are you that blinded with hatred for Clinton that you're willing to let these guys slide? Get over it. Clinton is gone. He got away with it. He pulled out, wiped on your curtains, and he's not going to call. Let it go.

The investigation is just starting, and I'm glad the Dems are going after the Repubs this time. ALWAYS QUESTION!! If you don't, then you gotta shut up about the antis' ignorance of the laws. This administration does not believe it needs to justify itself to Congress or the people, and you guys better realize that. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. True patriotism does not mean marching to your party's tune....AND THAT GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE, SHALL NOT PERISH FROM THE EARTH. Not for Enron and anyone else involved in this corporation ran by greed. No one gets a free pass, most of all Bush and all of his and his father's cronies. Start talking, beginning with Cheney and the meetings. To the rest of you, start questioning, otherwise you have no business saying the liberals are trying to take your rights away. You're giving them away.      
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Easy boys, read my lips: I'm not wishing for it or predicting it, just speculating in a provocative way, and seeking information.  

No need for insults.
View Quote

No insult intended...merely a small dose of ridicule...all in good fun.

Your initial assertion about Bush being a dead man walking seemed to be quite clear to me...thus my posts.

Hope I was able to provide just a smidge of the info of which you seek.

And now...I must to bed.  It is late here.

[}:D]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need for insults.
View Quote

No insult intended...merely a small dose of ridicule...all in good fun.

Your initial assertion about Bush being a dead man walking seemed to be quite clear to me...thus my posts.

Hope I was able to provide just a smidge of the info of which you seek.

And now...I must to bed.  It is late here.

[}:D]
View Quote

Aw, hell, I give it I should be able to take it.  And yes, I did learn alot, and expect to continue to do so.

Yeah, I was a bit hyperbolic (is that a word?)- meant to make a clear prediction.  I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Thank you sir, may I have another!

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#34]
What is this crap?! Good ole BJ clinton got campaign contributions from Chinese monks, got blown in the White House, used his political influent to buy property, stole ash trays from Air Force One on his way out and so on and so forth.  And that's just the stuff that was reported!  Give me a break, if this country doesn't reelect Bush, it's going to heck in a bucket!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Post from Buddha -
...but does no one find alarming the fact that Enron was the only company asked to meet with Cheney regarding the country's energy policy? Behind closed doors and then basically saying to Congress "none of your business"? Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, O'Neill, Evans,....Jesus Christ, wake up!
View Quote

I find it totally [u]unalarming[/u] that the Bush Administration in drawing up its energy program asked for input from all of the major energy producers, of which, Enron was Number One! So what?

When they put together the military spending bill, the halls of the White House are going to be teeming with generals, admirals, etc., as well as the lobbyists for every company that sells a bolt, a nut, a screw to the Pentagon!

Why, you ask?

Because those are the experts, for better or worse!

Who should they ask? Ralph Nader? His views on energy policy got him, what, 3% of the vote?
Yeah, let's take his views into account! Not!

Get real, Buddha, don't you see a set-up? Or are you too blind to what our enemies (they are your enemies, I hope) are trying to do?

Anything to puncture the 85% approval rating!

Whatever it takes! Accuse Bush of alcoholism if they must!

But show us the 'rotten deal' that Enron was able to get for itself because of its playing footsie with the Bush White House! Give us the sordid details!

What there are none yet? Don't worry, there will be some manufactured ones soon!

Eric The(AreYouReady?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#37]
The real scandal is that there is no scandal.

But the press needs something to scream about, and the Democrats need ANYTHING to try to damage Bush, so they'll rant as much as they can.

Meanwhile, everyone seems to be noticing that Bush [red]didn't[red] give Enron any special treatment, and that $800,000 over ten years isn't much money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The libs are throwing everything possible at the wall of public opinion in order to find something that will stick.

So far, nada.
View Quote

Oh, they have just begun to spin.  It's going to be all about perception management for the public.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#39]
It all hinges on "The War on Terrorism"

If we are still fighting it during the elections then Bush wins by a landslide.  Incumbents are always more popular during wartime.  If, OTOH, it is over, he will still probably win, but then again Bush-One lost shortly after a popular, decisive, and quick win in Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Eric,
 The administration didn't meet with many companies, Enron was it. But we may never know because Cheney invoked EP. What's the secret? The Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution as they knew best because they saw the results of a government that RULES and feels it doesn't need to answer to the people. The fact that nothing has been found yet doesn't mean everything was done above board. It's this sort of thing that the Repubs excoriated Clinton and his ilk for.

One of the real questions is not what was done after Enron fessed up to O'Neill and Evans, it's too late to do anything, it's what wasn't done that could have prevented it. In recent days the relevation of the depth of Enron's influence with current decision makers is astounding. And I'm not excusing the Dems at all. Both sides took the money and let Enron wrote it's own books. I'm not naive, and I'm willing to tolerate pork in government dealings, but there has to be a limit. I'm all for capitalism, but above executive profits, corporations HAS TO HAVE the ethical obligation to protect their workers and their shareholders, large and small. To the extent that they don't, it is the duty of government to make sure they do. You cannot stay totally hands off to crooked practices, and then say it is the normal course of capitalism. I find Lindsay's and O'Neill's recent comments reprehensible.

The Dems are gonna have a field day since so many people in Bush's admin are so entwined with Enron. I WANT them to look because I believe government is accountable to the people. If there's ultimately nothing, great. We don't need another scandal, not so soon anyway. The best thing for the Repubs to do is be straightforward. Don't send Matalin and Fleischer out there to be obstructive and obtuse. Those two are the worst faces to put in front of the public and press on this matter. The 85% won't last if the public loses faith. Papa Bush was 90% during the Gulf War, and look what happened one year later.

As citizens I don't think anyone can afford to not want an investigation. If Bush is to reform and "restore honor" to the White House, he can't afford to have any taint of the same special interests that Clinton had. There's no way to be free of special interest, but there has to be accountability. I believe in the checks and balances of the Constitution, and I believe that government works for me, not for the rich who can pay the price of admission. I like Bush (in many shapes [:)]), but I'll say again: NO ONE GETS A FREE PASS.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Off topic, is anyone else disappointed in Fox? I liked it when they were a direct counterpoint to the liberal bias in the press. It was good to have an opposing viewpoint. But now with the hiring of Geraldo and van Susteren, they've proven to be just another outlet after numbers. And do those two really bring in the ratings?

I never believed in that "fair and balanced" crap, but I sort of admired them for being unabashedly conservative. Oh, well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Nope. The demoncrats are going to eat it on this one. They're going to try to make a big stink about the issue and the end result will be that Enron asked for special favors and didn't get any.

In the end, the dems are going to come out as simply being mean spirited and partisan like they always have been but this time it will be against a hugely popular president.

They are going to choke on their on excrement this time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nope. The demoncrats are going to eat it on this one. They're going to try to make a big stink about the issue and the end result will be that Enron asked for special favors and didn't get any.

In the end, the dems are going to come out as simply being mean spirited and partisan like they always have been but this time it will be against a hugely popular president.

They are going to choke on their on excrement.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You've been duped!

View Quote

I heard plenty when the energy crisis stuff was ging on last year that Bush was in bed with energy suppliers of which Enron was specifically named.  That along with the image of a Texan President dealing with Texas companies will give the media a lot to talk about.  Even in the papers daily we hear from political officials that Bush is not involved with Enron but the fact that it is even mentioned is bad press for him and bad for us as you mention above.  Say it enough and it may be true.  I wouldnt say that this incident will make him unelectable but I would say it is way to soon to say it wont seriously hurt him. I would'nt jump all over DScott either cause you dont know whats going to unfold either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Enron was the largest contributor to GW Bush's presidential campaign.  They're just getting warmed up to this thing, with the Andersen issues just the preliminaries.

What are his chances of re-election, assuming no world catastrophe between then and now?

I say 0%, as in dead man walking... The Democrats are going to exploit the Enron debacle to crucify ole George.  Payback will be a bitch!
View Quote

You have no idea what you are trying to talk about.  You live in Krapifornia, give us a break!!!  By the time election season rolls around, the Enron failure will have been exposed for what it was.  Fastow and Lay's gang did all the crimes, Bush didn't do shit.  Remember stupid, Bush inherited Enron from Klinton.  Try to educate yourself about the subject before you vomit from the mouth again...
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#46]
this is the kind of stuff that will hurt Bush, don't matter if it is true or not.

[url]http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/enrn25.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Post from Atencio -
this is the kind of stuff that will hurt Bush, don't matter if it is true or not.
View Quote

It should matter to anyone with two brain cells to rub together! That story is from one year ago precisely!

In that year, just how has Enron's backing saved it from financial ruin and bankruptcy?

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

If Enron thought that it was buying something from the future Bush Administration, then they just got rooked!

Eric The('CourseVotersAreReallyDumb...)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Post from Atencio -
View Quote

It should matter to anyone with two brain cells to rub together! That story is from one year ago precisely!

In that year, just how has Enron's backing saved it from financial ruin and bankruptcy?

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

If Enron thought that it was buying something from the future Bush Administration, then they just got rooked!

Eric The('CourseVotersAreReallyDumb...)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

doesnt matter Eric the press will pull all these old stories up.  This post is a good example of what I am talking about.  If Bush has no worries about the enron incident why is it even being mentioned?  The press will make it an issue.  In 2004 the dust may have settled which will be better for Bush but if he were running this year and didnt have the boost from his handling of 9-11 I think he would have  some real problems from this.
Plus you say it, "voters are really dumb".
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#49]
If my memory is correct the "Enron" story  broke well over a year ago.

And was broken by an analyst not too lazy and sorry to do her(?) homework.

(I think maybe the story was in some obscure publication like Fortune ?)
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

55% - 60% if the war is prosecuted well. Enron is a non-issue. It's a model, actually, of how a politician should treat contributors demanding influence. If it turns out Bush did nothing for Enron, as it appears, the Democrats will have nowhere to go with this.

Democrats will naturally try to distort this into another polarizing class-warfare wedge. That's what they do. But as long as the truth is spoken as least half as loud as their lies, little will be gained by Democrats from expoiting the collapse of Enron.

That said, Ken Lay and company should be stripped of all assets (which should be rolled into an employee fund) fitted for those nice orange jumpsuits, and jailed alongside brutes who will summarily trade their sorry asses for cheap packs of cigarettes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top